Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been away for a while and thought I would share my recent story. I have the 11 tundra 5.7, bought at 29k 7 ish yrs ago until now 121k. Have all service records; pretty much everything done at the dealer. The only significant repair was the starter going out at 82k miles which was covered under warranty.
2 wks ago-I noticed a couple pink spots under the truck over the course of 2 wks. Took it to the dealership and it was an intake manifold leak. Fixed at dealer. Also had the valve cover gaskets replaced while they were there (per their recommendation). After pickup, I noticed sloppy work (air box unlatched, radiator fluid below low, wires/hoses not properly hooked up, wheel well engine splash shields ripped to take them off without removing the clip pins, etc). I took it back to the dealer to make sure it was properly put back together & requested they replace the shields.
3 days later-due to working from home, I hadn’t driven the vehicle other than the 15 min ride home from the dealer. I went on a 1hr drive early in the am to pick up my 2k pound box trailer for an upcoming trip. No signs of overheating, truck ran perfect. 2 hrs later I go to run an errand and when starting the engine, I heard a big click like the engine wanted to crank but something stopping it (luckily this was at home). I assumed it was a dead battery. After 2 new batteries, I had it towed back to the dealer. The dealer checked fluids, the starter, the alternator, scoped 2 cylinders and didn’t see anything unusual, and tried to manually turn the motor forward. No movement. Last suspicion was to check the flywheel for a broken tooth which might lock the motor. Not it. Finally, they dropped the bottom engine pan and noticed metal shavings. Diagnosis - Engine is fried.

I am crushed by this. I keep hearing what an anomaly this is. I pretty much babied this truck and washed it weekly for 7 yrs. I find myself not willing to let this issue go. Because this truck ran like it did 7 yrs ago, for the first time I was looking forward to putting 200k on it.
So I'm looking for opinions. Was this an anomaly or suspected poor workmanship? My service rep is awesome but if there was faulty workmanship, would they admit it. I would bet that is something the upper management would decide, not my service tech. In talking with other mechanics/friends, most agree that any possible faulty workmanship would have to do with a dropped bolt or socket into the intake manifold or valve cover area, or the intake manifold allowed radiator fluid to go into a cylinder; but that would show up in the oil, which didn’t appear to be the cause as stated by the dealer.
I’m looking for your thoughts and any suggestions for where I go from here. I am hoping I can sell the truck as is and require the new buyer to allow me to donate the motor to my son's mechanics school so they can open it up. This would hopefully give me closure. I have a hard time believing that this premature engine seize was from normal wear and tear.
Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited
169 Posts
I'm going to say with certainty this was poor workmanship that caused the failure. These engines don't just lock up. Either they misdiagnosed the first leak or they caused the issue when they took it apart. The fact that you found so many issues after the service work is the evidence. Very rare to find anyone who cares about any work they do anymore, but it's much more rare to have a 5.7 lock up at 120k

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your view, Jgrauman. I have the truck advertised for sale and a local guy called me on it today. We spoke for about 30 min and the summary of it was in line with what you said; that this shouldn't happen and the fact they did work on it 4 days prior looks suspicous. He suggested the symptoms sound very much like Hydrolock. He suggested I take all the plugs out and try to start it. We are hoping to do that soon but my son and I aren't the most mechanically inclined nor do we have the right tools to get the plugs out. We are researching it now. Will update when we have more news.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update-we took 6 of the 8 plugs out and 2 were saturated with oil on the plug threads. One had oil up in the porceline area and some of the plug coils had oil residue on them. Maybe a valve cover leak, which the dealer supposedly replaced the gasket while they were there. Engine still wouldn't turn over so that rules out Hydrolock but because 2 of the plugs had dripping oil on the threads, to me that sounds like a valve cover gasket leak.
But at the end of the day, I think this is a he said, she said and I lose. So pissed off about this!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts