Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a project that has been years in the making, and will take some time to finish. I recently purchased some more parts to jump start the project.

A few years back I won an auction on eBay for a 2012 Toyota Tundra head unit, model A51893. The goal has always been to replace the stock head unit in my 2008 DCSB, model AD1803.

I added the Sirius tuner and an aftermarket Bluetooth converter to the stock HU, but the display has always been a bit lacking. Not to mention that the radio has periods where it will shut down while in use, losing all AM/FM presets. Sometimes forgetting it has a Sirius tuner attached. Sometimes forgetting it has a Bluetooth adapter. It is starting to get frustrating.

Earlier this week I purchased an adapter to allow for a common SiriusXM antenna to be used with the Toyota radio.

Next step is to verify the satellite adapter works correctly before fully installing the radio in the truck. I already tried the radio out a few years ago and it is plug and play for the most part. The radio tunes fine and the aux input still works.

A few things I would like to add, as time and resources allow, include steering wheel controls, the Bluetooth mic in the overhead console, and the factory USB/Aux port module.

For the USB I understand the 2010-2013 head units use a separate multimedia interface unit. Does anyone know if the one used to add USB to a Prius will work? Sorry, I don't have enough posts yet to link, so search Amazon or the web for kit PT233-47100.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should probably detail the adapter I purchased for the satellite radio connection. Sorry, still can't put in links, but if you search the web for "SMB MALE BULKHEAD to GT5-1S Coaxial RF Pigtail Cable" you should get multiple hits. I had to trim one side down a bit to get it to fit in the blue Toyota connector on the back of the radio.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Using an old speaker and a bench top power supply, along with a reverse power harness, I powered up the 2012 radio. Stringing out an old Sirius antenna outside the garage, I was able to successfully tune in the preview XM channel. Getting closer!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Prius Aux/USB kit came in the mail today, PT233-47100. Using my bench top testing setup again, I was able to successfully pair the module with the A51893 radio.

Good news - it sort of works! I'm able to plug in both an iPhone and a USB jump drive and have the radio navigate through music and play.

Bad news - there is no sound! I'm not sure if it is a module, harness, or radio issue.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not making much progress on this. As an experiment, I picked up a USB module for cheap off of eBay to try. Same story as before, radio connects and correctly displays anything plugged into the USB port, but still no sound!

Module that came with the kit is model number 861A1-0E020. Module I tried that is used on 2012 and later Tundras is 861A1-0E040.

I know either module communicates with the head unit, so my lack of sound is either a harness issue or a head unit issue. I guess the next step is to start pulling schematics and comparing how the Prius wire harness that comes with the PT233-47100 to what is done on 2010-2013 Tundras.

Anyone have some radio schematics laying around???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I broke down today and signed up with Toyota Technical Information System (TIS) - https://techinfo.toyota.com/

The harness that comes with the Prius kit is wired so that the male plug is wired through to the female plug on the Multimedia ECU, but the other male end is designed to connect to the downstream XM tuner. I'll go in more details later, but the bottom line is the harness doesn't work unless I either re-pin the harness or find a female to female one.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slowly making progress. I received in the mail yesterday a package from eBay containing the Scion microphone kit PT546-74120-MC. I plugged it in and the Bluetooth menu on the radio started functioning! Using the setup button on the radio itself I was able to pair my phone and play music through the radio. I was concerned that without steering wheel controls none of the Bluetooth functions would operate. I think the only thing missing without the steering wheel controls is pairing the phone for phone purposes, which I am okay with for the time being.

Amazon link for reference/pictures: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Scion-Accessories-PT546-74120-MC-Microphone/dp/B00DF7C8AU

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
With the help and a harness from [FONT=&quot]AutoHarnessHouse.com [/FONT]I was able to finally get the USB portion working. I'll upload pictures later, but I have the radio and the associated USB/Aux port all installed and mostly working. I haven't pulled the truck out of the garage to verify the XM radio is working yet, but will do so soon. I also noticed that it won't let me setup Automatic Sound Level (ASL) - not sure if that is because I don't have the engine running and the vehicle in motion, or if I am missing those wires from my harness.

So far the following works:
1) AM radio
2) FM radio
3) CD player
4) Aux input
5) BT music streaming
6) USB input (both flash drive and iPhone 6S)
7) ASL (took a drive this evening, ASL options of OFF/LOW/MID/HIGH now show up)
8) XM radio (tore the dash apart and move the cables around, re-seated the adapter - now able to get a signal)

TBD:
1) Steering wheel controls (need new steering wheel for this, possibly harness modifications)
2) Bluetooth phone (need steering wheel controls to push the talk button and pair a phone)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sold the truck a few weeks ago, so I guess you could say the project has come to an end.

I have a ton of spare parts I'll probably post in the for sale forum one of these days, once I figure out what I have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
1 Participant
jlv03
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing