Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to honk the horn has become an intermittent failure on my 2012 Tundra.

I found some related questions for Gen-1 Tundras but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

The troubling concern is that when it failed state inspection, the mechanic recommended taking it to the dealer to fix based on the concern that the air-bag-has-been-deployed light could be triggered if not done correctly. Which means the truck's title is diminshed to one of a previosly totaled vehicle.

As such, I will probably avoid the DIY approach here but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue from Gen-2 Tundra's?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Are you sure the problem lies in the steering wheel? Could it be a bad horn, bad wiring, bad horn relay, bad connection?

FWIW, I have seen a number of people on here DIY the clock spring, apparently without issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No real idea where the problem lies since I have not taken it apart.

If I apply pressure to the horn on the steering wheel, sometimes it honks, sometimes it does not.

If I don't hear the horn, sometimes if I press it again and again and again, it will eventually work.

Sometimes it matters where on the horn I apply pressure as well.

So my initial gut feel is that there is a weak contact somewhere directly under the "button". And that depending on how everything is aligned at any given time, it will work or not work.

So springs could be a root cause but certainly there are other possibilities around the general problems with the contact surfaces.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts