Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done an R&R on a 2nd Gen Sequoia fuel tank/pump yet? I’m assuming someone has, but can’t seem to find any info on it. Essentially, I had the fuel alcohol density issue and had it reset back in October. Recently, I’ve been getting stumbling and hesitation from 2000 RPM and up, and just saw TSB-0166-19, which also calls for a new fuel pump I called Toyota Corporate and they told me to take my ‘13 w/173k on it and piss off. (Flame if you must, but I’d be willing to bet they’ve been sitting on this knowledge for years with the intent of letting a bunch of trucks mileage out as they were being “generous” with taking this back to 2009 IIRC)
So, I call a couple of local dealerships and the replacement cost is 900-1,400. I went to make the appointment and was told that the fuel pumps are on national back order with over 1,400 units in the negative and they won’t be available until end of April. So, I effectively have a boat anchor until it can get fixed. I was told that they are doing a complete redesign, which is great, but not for the current situation.
Since it doesn’t appear that Toyota put an access pane in the floor of the truck, I’m going to have to drop the tank.
Has anyone done this and can they provide any pointers on making this less of a pain in the a$$?
Anyone?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The beauty of Toyota is they make everything the same if they can. So even though this one is last model and Sequoia it should be very similar to yours. Or Youtube some video's and they will also be similar.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I did see that earlier, but I would love more pics etc. I think the main question is whether or not the removal is like the same model Tundra or not. Either way, the fuel pump and lack of availability is what is really causing the issue and Im trying to understand if the unit that is in there can be rebuilt or not. I'd be happy to stick a Walbro in there and call it a day, if that is even possible. There are some used units on eBay as well, but not sure I want to spend the $ on an unknown potential solution

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I work for Toyota in manufacturing so I can guarantee you will be very well versed looking at an older model Tundra as it will be almost identical. Yes, there will always be some differences, but overall not a lot. No, I dont build Tundra but again, its amazing how similar the assembly is for every Toyota out there.
Cant help you but do you have a local pump or motor shop that does rebuilds? Can you call them in advance and see if they do rebuilds? I have a hard time believing some local shop wouldnt be able to bench test the pump and tell you if its working properly or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Do you have any way of getting information how the fuel pulp assembly could be rebuilt? Is it as simple as removing the module, replacing the pump, and the pickup screen? I’m assuming the assembly isn’t “maintenance free?” But would like to have as much info prior to dropping the tank as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Sorry Sprech, I'm pretty good at assembling Toyota vehicles but actual repairs to internal components is not my forte. Maybe someone else on here can help but in the meantime if I were you I would call around to some local shops and just see if anyone does rebuilds. Who knows, maybe they can test it and tell you its working. I am guessing you have a flex fuel based on that part number? If thats the case is it absolutely necessary to use that exact one? Would a non flex fuel pump be different or even an option?
Are you even 100% positive the pump is the problem? Any chance its something like a damaged wire somewhere or something else causing the problem? Dropping the tank and getting to the pump is a pretty big job so I would want to be dead certain that's my problem before I tackle that job.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I saw a video on youtube on how a guy replaced the fuel pump on a GM pickup by removing the bolts holding it down and tilting it up on one side to be able to access the pump. Don't know if it's applicable to a Tundra but it sure looked easier than dropping the tank. My 2007 hasn't needed it yet so I don't know much more than that.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Pretty much all Toyota's now have screw on lids you take off to get to the fuel pump, and since those lids are tight up against the bottom of the floor you have to drop the tank to get the lid off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts