Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Sequoia, Paint peeling off roof (Blizzard Pearl)

It's not new but it looks new otherwise, but a few weeks ago we noticed that at the edge of the windshield the paint has peeled completely off, varying distances toward the root. No where else on the car. No physical damage to start it, but it is almost the whole way across the windshield.

I stopped by a local body shop I trust and asked them, they said it was a bad paint job in the factory, and that fixing it (due to the type of paint, and need to remove windshield and roof items) would be over $1300.

I called Toyota and was blown off with "you are out of warranty". There's a 5 year corrosion warranty, but I suspect that will expire before the rust (already starting) actually pitts through.

I looked around and found lots of paint peeling postings in various places but nothing quite specific to this. I can't find any service bulletins or recalls or such.

I tried every way I could to get the customer satisfaction corporate line's attention, asked for managers (declined), etc. Nothing. Very little sympathy.

I'm assuming I am out $1300+, but just thought I would post this to see if anyone knows of a different path, some unpublicised service bulletins, etc?

Thanks in advance if so,

Linwood

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: 2013 Sequoia, Paint peeling off roof (Blizzard Pearl)

Linwood,

Check your private message I also have the same exact problem on my 2013 Sequoia Platinum with the same color Blizzard Pearl

·
Registered
24 Posts
gotta live with it, im going through the same dilemma, they put thin coats from the factory, ONLY good thing outta these rigs are the 5.7

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2013 Sequoia in Blizzard Pearl with the paint peeling on the back liftgate. Near the back window, but not next to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same exact issue with my 2013 Sequoia with Blizzard Pearl paint and repair quotes range from $1500 to $2100. No paint issues any where else on the vehicle.
I bought it one year old and didn't see any issues. I would think it was well cared for since it was previously Archie Manning's. Local Toyota dealer tried pleading our case with Toyota and with "local Toyota rep" but was told it is out of warranty. We bought it because we thought Toyota was high quality and they stood behind any defects but looks like we are on our own if we want this fixed. This is a 4 year old vehicle that i have only had 3 years - very disappointed. We are having it fixed to avoid rust getting too bad (it has already started) but will try to get Toyota to at least help with the cost.
Have you had any further luck in getting Toyota to cover it?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same exact issue with my 2013 Sequoia with Blizzard Pearl paint and repair quotes range from $1500 to $2100. No paint issues any where else on the vehicle.
I bought it one year old and didn't see any issues. I would think it was well cared for since it was previously Archie Manning's. Local Toyota dealer tried pleading our case with Toyota and with "local Toyota rep" but was told it is out of warranty. We bought it because we thought Toyota was high quality and they stood behind any defects but looks like we are on our own if we want this fixed. This is a 4 year old vehicle that i have only had 3 years - very disappointed. We are having it fixed to avoid rust getting too bad (it has already started) but will try to get Toyota to at least help with the cost.
Have you had any further luck in getting Toyota to cover it?
Hi I have just seen your message and I have the exact same problem, Same car, same year, same paint and same place. It would be interesting to see if its from the same factory and paint run. Keep fighting and keep posting. I live in Dubai UAE.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have been a Toyota person for years. I bought a 2011 Sequoia Platinum (Blizzard white) . In 2016 the paint started flaking off above the windshield then a few months in 2017 ...large pieces of paint on the passenger side of the front window. I also went to my dealer where purchased (2017) where they took pictures and filed a claim. Came back denied. I call Toyota USA and questioned and complained...I was told they did not have a record of any problems. I had to have it repainted, but in the process my body shop said that it was an E Coat problem and that there were other place where paint was chipping. Corporate Toyota suggested I get it fixed and in the future if they had a paint recall, I would be reimbursed. Right! I was 65 and that was my first new car. I certainly will think again before buying another toyota. Anyone know of anything else that can be done as far as contacting Toyota and making this right. If the under E coat is defective...repainting is not the answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 Sequoia Blizzard pearl has paint just falling off. When we contacted them they said that they had a recall on that year with the blizzard pearl paint. However, when they examined my SUV they told me the sequoia wasn't in the recall. But mine has all the signs of the ones in the recall. THey still will not touch my SUV. They are saying that no one else has complained. Start sending them messages like crazy.. According to a someone that works on toyota's they didn't apply the paint in the correct time frame. SInce it is a triple layer paint all the paint must be applied in a timely manner or it will not adhere to the vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 Sequoia that the paint just started flaking off of backdoor. Took to a paint shop and the dealer I bought it from. Both said it was paint failure from the factory. I was also told by Toyota that my Sequoia was not on the list. My manufacture date of 8/2012 fits with some of the other dates. I asked Alberto from corporate if he realized how much I'm losing in trade in value,his reply was I don't know,my reply was you certainly do you work for toyota. I have also heard that it includes highlanders and tundras. It's the paint not the car. Sequoias need to be included. I'm loosing more and more money as more and more paint falls off. Mine only has 51,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2012 Toyota Sequoia with the same Blizzard Pearl paint, the paint has been peeling off horribly in the last three years. Toyota refuses to acknowledge that Sequoias are also victims of this poor paintwork. I just got off the phone with TCS and they just basically said "they didn't care", the vehicle is out of warranty, sorry if you thought that investing over 50k in Toyota was a smart decision, think best the next time you buy a car. what a shame! it used to be a good car manufacturer. I feel sorry for those that work there every day answering their phones and having to lie to us all, the paintwork from Toyota is inferior quality! Buyers beware, put your money elsewhere!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep bugging them. This is going on til 2022. Hopefully they will put the bigger cars on. I went and got estimates on the paint. Both agreed came from the factory. They will have to take care of them to. I did alot on social media

1 - 14 of 14 Posts