Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright since I've seen this posted around before about people asking if it is possible..

The short answer is yes, the long answer will be posted along this thread.

I got this idea after seeing another person do the swap on their truck, unfortunately only a few pieces of information were available in the form of a stupid video with not a whole lot of detailed information.
So with this thread I'll outline everything needed to do the swap including part numbers for 2014+ Limited. So you will have to look and make sure these are what you're looking for.

Please bear in mind, I'm still in the process of finishing this up as some things didn't come up until AFTER installing the front end..

This is done on a 2008 Crewmax.. And honestly, I love the look.. but if I could go back, I wouldn't even bother with it and would have just replaced the one damaged fender and headlight with stock replacements.

Hood:
To start off. On the brightside, the hood (533010C050) bolts right up to the factory hinges, but you can replace them with newer ones if you like (534200C030) I bought new hinges and figured out that I didn't need to spend the money. Plus your hood struts will work as well (534500C030)
Please bear in mind that you'll need the hood bulge as well.

Radiator Support:
Now for the most technical part of this... You WILL NEED the upper tie bar (534500C030) as well as the core support ( 532010C090) These are a MUST or else your front end will be held on by Zip ties and not line up properly.

*Edit* This is actually not needed, you can replace it if you like, but I wouldn't recommend it since it is not needed, I'll leave the information above in case someone wants to go that route

Fenders:
Almost a direct bolt on, you'll have to add a mount and move one a couple millimeters as well.
The back between the door will bolt on and be lined up. I'll re-count them tomorrow since I'm waiting on brackets to come in tomorrow. The bracket you will need (2) of are 53745-0C020. These need to be welded towards the front of your fenders, I'll get pictures tomorrow when they come in

Front bumper:
For the good news, you don't need to replace the crash bar. What you will need is both end caps Left and Right (521120C050) bumper center (539110C050) the center bracket (521140C030) both side brackets (525380C030, 525370C030) as well as the side extensions (521410C030, 521420C020) along with the supporting bolts/clips.
the bumber could be made easier if you buy an entire used set up. I've seen them go for roughly $300 in my area, save yourself the headache and go that route (wish I had)

Grill:
More so along the line of a pain and annoyance.
The parts you'll need are.. 525210C070 (center retainer) 525370C030 (side retainer) 525380C030 (side retainer) 539050C020 (middle support retainer) 539060C020 (middle retainer) 532570C030 (radiator support bracket)
The radiator support brackets will need to have the spot welds drilled out to replace them.
This picture is what I'm referring to

I, as well as a few others have used self tapping screws to temporarily hold it in place. I'm waiting on getting my welder back before I finish it. Pictures below are what you're going to want to do. The center support bracket for the latch can stay the same.

Now you get to install the retainer clips (pn to come) as well as the headlight covers (pn to come)

For the grill to install flush you'll have to cut part of it if you have a transmission cooler, it should fit no issues if you do not.

Use pushpins to secure the ends into the headlights, you'll have two empty spots in the middle. You can secure it however you wish or leave it be. I'll get pictures of where I cut the grill tomorrow when there is light.

If all goes well, you should have something that looks similar to this

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5/5 now I can submit pictures.. Sorry guys/girls. I was lazy and this was just easier to be able to do so

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's good to hear about the hood hinges. I was almost about to buy 2014+ hinges last night. Now I can just use my existing ones.
Are you sure you need the entire core support? There is a guy on youtube (vague instructions) who did the swap without the core support but he did need the two brackets that attaches the fenders to the radiator support. I'm not sure what part number those pieces are.

If anyone knows for sure what part number these are, please let me know. Please refer to the picture I posted. The parts in question are circled in red. The tundra parts diagram has crappy illustrations and I can't tell what I need.

Also, did you need these two brackets (53906-0C010 and 53905-0C010)? The guy on youtube said it's needed but I'm not sure if that's true.

By the way, I'm doing the conversion on a 2010 Sequoia Platinum. I have everything except for a few brackets/braces and I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here are the two brackets the guy on youtube used....but I'm not sure we need them. Maybe we can use the existing ones from 2008 tundra/2010 sequoia? 53905-0C010 and 53906-0C010

Also circled is the part that attaches from the radiator support to the fender. Will need both the left and right side. The guy on youtube said he had to cut out the old piece and weld in the new piece....but if you're buying the whole core support then those pieces already come attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you asking me or the OP?

As for me....for the past year I've been collecting the obvious parts like fenders, hood, etc and was having trouble figuring out what brackets and other support pieces I needed. I do believe I have all the neccessary parts to begin my conversion. I'm not in a rush to do my conversion so I took my time collecting and buying parts whenever I could get a great deal. All my parts plus shipping costed me only $1503.85 and I'm doing the installation myself. The only thing I'll have to pay out for is to get a few pieces painted. There is a girl in Hawaii who spent $9 or $10k to get her conversion done and I think that is an excessive amount. Keep an eye out on the sequoia forum because I will post a build thread whenever I get around to doing the conversion......sometime this year ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's good to hear about the hood hinges. I was almost about to buy 2014+ hinges last night. Now I can just use my existing ones.
Are you sure you need the entire core support? There is a guy on youtube (vague instructions) who did the swap without the core support but he did need the two brackets that attaches the fenders to the radiator support. I'm not sure what part number those pieces are.

If anyone knows for sure what part number these are, please let me know. Please refer to the picture I posted. The parts in question are circled in red. The tundra parts diagram has crappy illustrations and I can't tell what I need.

Also, did you need these two brackets (53906-0C010 and 53905-0C010)? The guy on youtube said it's needed but I'm not sure if that's true.

By the way, I'm doing the conversion on a 2010 Sequoia Platinum. I have everything except for a few brackets/braces and I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need.
No you don't need the entire grille support, I was going off those vague instructions as well. But those two brackets you will need to connect the fenders to the radiator support. I'll find the part numbers in the morning as well as the plastic piece the trim sets in

Yes you will need those two brackets, otherwise the center retainer bar for the grill will not sit properly. You can get them for about 25-30 a piece.
I'm not 100% sure it will work with a Sequoia, but I've seen a couple pictures running around with the swap done

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This looks interesting, can you give us a round number pertaining to the over all cost of parts?
A good round number is probably $1500 as what was previously stated. I installed myself and painted myself.
It's not terribly difficult to do, just a little time consuming.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I did this conversion on my 2010 Sequoia in 2016, but I had a unique situation where I bought the truck wrecked and it needed a core support. I just ordered the 2016 Tundra Core support, so i ended up getting alot of those extra brackets. The upper tie bar is not needed, however there are multiple additional brackets that are different.

I am collecting parts to convert my 2007 tundra, but i am planning on fabricating the extra brackets since i am not in a hurry.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Also just curious to the breakdown of the 1500 dollar estimate? I dont have all my receipts, but I know i spent well over that even with used headlights and bumper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are the two brackets the guy on youtube used....but I'm not sure we need them. Maybe we can use the existing ones from 2008 tundra/2010 sequoia? 53905-0C010 and 53906-0C010

Also circled is the part that attaches from the radiator support to the fender. Will need both the left and right side. The guy on youtube said he had to cut out the old piece and weld in the new piece....but if you're buying the whole core support then those pieces already come attached.
Damn so the only way to get those parts is to purchase a core support ? can't but them separately ? gahh thats frustrating.

The only thing in that guys video he wasnt too clear on was about the fender spacers or something that he mentions you also gotta cut off from a different part. but has anyone experimented with just using some sort of regular spacer between the fender and frame to get the proper distance ?

i guess that sounds not as legit lol just unsure what part hes talking about or what its name is. Been searching around and those two parts ( the fender brackets you've circled, and the fender risers ? ).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you asking me or the OP?

As for me....for the past year I've been collecting the obvious parts like fenders, hood, etc and was having trouble figuring out what brackets and other support pieces I needed. I do believe I have all the neccessary parts to begin my conversion. I'm not in a rush to do my conversion so I took my time collecting and buying parts whenever I could get a great deal. All my parts plus shipping costed me only $1503.85 and I'm doing the installation myself. The only thing I'll have to pay out for is to get a few pieces painted. There is a girl in Hawaii who spent $9 or $10k to get her conversion done and I think that is an excessive amount. Keep an eye out on the sequoia forum because I will post a build thread whenever I get around to doing the conversion......sometime this year ?
Originally from oahu bruddah, let me know how it goes and how the install was. Confused about the other small parts needed, so far I got the obvious things. Hood bulge, grill and bumper. Taking my time too. So someone spent $10k on their conversion? Damn!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts