Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously disappointed in the options available for the Limited Double Cab. I have been driving a 2002 Limited since new for 176,000 miles with no issues (other than short lived front rotors and the frame recall - for treatment only, my frame was not bad). It never even crossed my mind to look at any other truck when I decided it was time for a new one 2 months ago. The Toyota quality and reliability is second to none. I know first hand how relentless and strict Toyota is when it comes to the demands it places on ALL suppliers for zero defects. I've worked 25 years as an engineer for a bearing company that supplies bearings to ALL the major automotive manufactures and Toyota was the most stringent and difficult to satisfy by a long shot.

That said, I went to the dealer, checked their inventory, looked at the options and decided to order a DC with the options I wanted - basically everything except the Off-Road package. This truck will probably never see more than a short dirt driveway while I own it as it will be a daily driver with a car seat in the back and occasionally a '64 Chris Craft in tow.

I was a little disappointed when I found the remote start option wasn't available. Not a deal breaker. I could go aftermarket (Viper) but I'm not all that comfortable with someone messing with the wire harness, cutting in and splicing wires, especially with all the sophisticated and sensitive electronics in vehicles these days. Not sure how it would affect the warrantee.

I was a little more disappointed when I found that the JBL upgrade was also not available yet in the DC - only the CrewMax. Not sure what this is about and no one knows when it will be available for the DC. It's listed but no pricing and not yet available.

Then I asked if I could get the power folding mirrors which I really need since this truck is wider than my '02 and I have to keep it tucked to one side of the garage to give the wife plenty of room :) Not available for the Limited DC, only the CrewMax. What the heck is with that?

I can still live without these options and it certainly wasn't enough to send me to Ford or GM so I put a deposit down and began the 5 week wait.

With nothing else to occupy my mind and curiosity, I decided to check out he competition on-line. I was surprised to find, especially with the Ford F150 that just about every option available on the high end Model is available on the lower end models. For example, you can essentially build 99% of a Platinum by starting with a Lariat and adding options to get a Platinum with a 40/20/40 front seat instead of the 40/console/40 seat config (6 passenger vs 5). Ford also offers some nice options like a 36 gal fuel tank, automatic deploying/retractable cab steps (running boards) and a nice remote start among others.

It was clear I needed to do my due diligence and go take one for a test drive. I wasn’t disappointed. The truck drives and rides very nice and the interior has some nice amenities. The 3.6L ecoboost I drove also has plenty of power, is smooth and gets much better gas mileage than the Tundra. I can’t say what the reliability of this twin turbo engine will be but seeing as I rarely have a heavy load and only tow the boat a few hundred miles a year it certainly wouldn’t be over worked.

I think Toyota really dropped the ball not only by not making any major engine improvements (direct injection) or new transmission to increase fuel mileage but also by limiting the options available on the DC models and steering anyone looking for a plush, high end truck into the CrewMax. Does anyone else fell this way?

I need a 6’-5” bed. I don’t need, or want an oversized rear seat, therefor, the DC is the right model for me. I also need the power folding mirrors and a remote start.

I almost called the dealer to cancel my DC order but I couldn’t bear the thought of driving another brand truck and having problems down the road. However, my truck won’t be in until mid Feb, after the expected 2015 announcement and if there is a significant enough improvement with the 2015, especially with fuel efficiency, I’ll cancel the 2014 order and wait until October/November to get a 2015 and hopefully with a remote start and power folding mirrors.

One last thing and a little off topic…. What is with the monster plasti-chrome grills and tall hoods they put on these? If I wanted to drive a Big Rig, I’d buy a BIG truck to match the hood and grill. My 2002 is tight and clean. I like the look (and the size). It appears Toyota may have realized their mistake because in the new 2015 Tundra "Pro" ad the grills look a little smaller.

If possible, I may purchase a new grill for a Platinum CrewMax which at least has color matched surround instead of all plasti-chrome. I’m sure the cost is outrageous but perhaps I could sell my chrome one to a body shop. I’d have to do the same with the bumpers. The Platinum CrewMax in Magnetic Metallic Grey is a sharp looking truck with the color matched grill surround and bumpers. With the Limited DC, the only way to tone down the grill short of repainting or replacing it is to get the Silver Sky color truck to reduce the contrast with all that chrome and make it blend in better. My .02, your mileage may vary.

Also, If I do get the 2014 DC, I may have a new set of 20” wheels and tires I’d be willing to swap off for a new set of the 18” off road wheels with tires. I prefer the look of the off-road package wheels and the better ride 18”tires give compared to the 20” but don’t want the stiffer ride of the Billstein shocks that come with them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I was that disappointed in the vehicle I don't think I'd buy it...but that's just me.

I am seriously disappointed in the options available for the Limited Double Cab. I have been driving a 2002 Limited since new for 176,000 miles with no issues (other than short lived front rotors and the frame recall - for treatment only, my frame was not bad). It never even crossed my mind to look at any other truck when I decided it was time for a new one 2 months ago. The Toyota quality and reliability is second to none. I know first hand how relentless and strict Toyota is when it comes to the demands it places on ALL suppliers for zero defects. I've worked 25 years as an engineer for a bearing company that supplies bearings to ALL the major automotive manufactures and Toyota was the most stringent and difficult to satisfy by a long shot.

That said, I went to the dealer, checked their inventory, looked at the options and decided to order a DC with the options I wanted - basically everything except the Off-Road package. This truck will probably never see more than a short dirt driveway while I own it as it will be a daily driver with a car seat in the back and occasionally a '64 Chris Craft in tow.

I was a little disappointed when I found the remote start option wasn't available. Not a deal breaker. I could go aftermarket (Viper) but I'm not all that comfortable with someone messing with the wire harness, cutting in and splicing wires, especially with all the sophisticated and sensitive electronics in vehicles these days. Not sure how it would affect the warrantee.

I was a little more disappointed when I found that the JBL upgrade was also not available yet in the DC - only the CrewMax. Not sure what this is about and no one knows when it will be available for the DC. It's listed but no pricing and not yet available.

Then I asked if I could get the power folding mirrors which I really need since this truck is wider than my '02 and I have to keep it tucked to one side of the garage to give the wife plenty of room :) Not available for the Limited DC, only the CrewMax. What the heck is with that?

I can still live without these options and it certainly wasn't enough to send me to Ford or GM so I put a deposit down and began the 5 week wait.

With nothing else to occupy my mind and curiosity, I decided to check out he competition on-line. I was surprised to find, especially with the Ford F150 that just about every option available on the high end Model is available on the lower end models. For example, you can essentially build 99% of a Platinum by starting with a Lariat and adding options to get a Platinum with a 40/20/40 front seat instead of the 40/console/40 seat config (6 passenger vs 5). Ford also offers some nice options like a 36 gal fuel tank, automatic deploying/retractable cab steps (running boards) and a nice remote start among others.

It was clear I needed to do my due diligence and go take one for a test drive. I wasn’t disappointed. The truck drives and rides very nice and the interior has some nice amenities. The 3.6L ecoboost I drove also has plenty of power, is smooth and gets much better gas mileage than the Tundra. I can’t say what the reliability of this twin turbo engine will be but seeing as I rarely have a heavy load and only tow the boat a few hundred miles a year it certainly wouldn’t be over worked.

I think Toyota really dropped the ball not only by not making any major engine improvements (direct injection) or new transmission to increase fuel mileage but also by limiting the options available on the DC models and steering anyone looking for a plush, high end truck into the CrewMax. Does anyone else fell this way?

I need a 6’-5” bed. I don’t need, or want an oversized rear seat, therefor, the DC is the right model for me. I also need the power folding mirrors and a remote start.

I almost called the dealer to cancel my DC order but I couldn’t bear the thought of driving another brand truck and having problems down the road. However, my truck won’t be in until mid Feb, after the expected 2015 announcement and if there is a significant enough improvement with the 2015, especially with fuel efficiency, I’ll cancel the 2014 order and wait until October/November to get a 2015 and hopefully with a remote start and power folding mirrors.

One last thing and a little off topic…. What is with the monster plasti-chrome grills and tall hoods they put on these? If I wanted to drive a Big Rig, I’d buy a BIG truck to match the hood and grill. My 2002 is tight and clean. I like the look (and the size). It appears Toyota may have realized their mistake because in the new 2015 Tundra "Pro" ad the grills look a little smaller.

If possible, I may purchase a new grill for a Platinum CrewMax which at least has color matched surround instead of all plasti-chrome. I’m sure the cost is outrageous but perhaps I could sell my chrome one to a body shop. I’d have to do the same with the bumpers. The Platinum CrewMax in Magnetic Metallic Grey is a sharp looking truck with the color matched grill surround and bumpers. With the Limited DC, the only way to tone down the grill short of repainting or replacing it is to get the Silver Sky color truck to reduce the contrast with all that chrome and make it blend in better. My .02, your mileage may vary.

Also, If I do get the 2014 DC, I may have a new set of 20” wheels and tires I’d be willing to swap off for a new set of the 18” off road wheels with tires. I prefer the look of the off-road package wheels and the better ride 18”tires give compared to the 20” but don’t want the stiffer ride of the Billstein shocks that come with them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am of of the opinion that if you dont like it now, you're sure as he!! not going to like it later. Its like that little ding on your door that no one notices but you, but it drives you nuts because its there. Some people can just get used to something, so if you fit that category by all means keep your order. But if it were me, I'd be comparing warranties and prices with ford again. I have owned my share of Fords and Dodge's and can honestly say I like the toyota as much or more, but the reliability is subject to the user and the maintenance. Back in the day, I had a '97 Ff150 that i racked 180k on it and the only thing that ever went out was the heater core, aside from normal brakes, battery and rubber. I have owned my tundra now for just under a year and have already put more money into fixing my tundra than I ever did with that Ford. If it were me, I'd hold out for that 'PERFECT' truck, regardless of the brand.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
They have taken away a lot of equipment on the Limited that used to be standard. Now I believe, you have to go to the Platinum to get most of what the Limited used to have. Even on the SR5, there are several things that used to be standard pre 2010, that were taken away in 2011. Now, even more things have been deleted for the 2014's. Customers did not want the drivers side grab handle, upper glove box, (rear door storage on the DC's), says Toyota. And try to find a place for a subwoofer on a 2014 Crewmax. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
just throwing this out there, but if you are willing to look at another brand, check out the new Rams,

I was going to buy a platinum tundra 2014, but after comparing the Ram with the tundra, there really was no comparison for features, options, etc.

I think the others here are correct, if you don't like it now, buying it may be a mistake.

The tundra is a very very solid truck, but I had the exact truck you are looking at now in 2010, DC 4x4 limited, and that truck had way more on it then the new 2014 DC limited. They really chopped the limited features this time around. If you like some features you have to drop platinum type cash. another thing, I don't get why you can't get a platinum DC??? just because you need a bigger bed smaller cab doesn't mean you don't want the high trim level.

You can get a lot of Ram truck for the price of the tundra limited or platinum.

just throwing it out there.

good luck with whatever you choose and I hope whatever you get works out for you.

I have always been a die hard toyota guy, but I have to say this Ram has been perfect and has so much more to offer.

we'll see...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just wish Toyota offered more of an a la carte style purchase where you could just say "I want this cab, this bed, these steps, those wheels, these options in this color. Go. Build." The other manufacturers offer this and I would have gone with a Ram if it wasn't for the reliability part of the puzzle. Now that Dodge is stepping it up big time, they might get my next purchase. We'll see...........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just throwing this out there, but if you are willing to look at another brand, check out the new Rams,

I was going to buy a platinum tundra 2014, but after comparing the Ram with the tundra, there really was no comparison for features, options, etc.

I think the others here are correct, if you don't like it now, buying it may be a mistake.

The tundra is a very very solid truck, but I had the exact truck you are looking at now in 2010, DC 4x4 limited, and that truck had way more on it then the new 2014 DC limited. They really chopped the limited features this time around. If you like some features you have to drop platinum type cash. another thing, I don't get why you can't get a platinum DC??? just because you need a bigger bed smaller cab doesn't mean you don't want the high trim level.

good luck with whatever you choose and I hope whatever you get works out for you.

I have always been a die hard toyota guy, but I have to say this Ram has been perfect and has so much more to offer.

we'll see...
Thanks. I will check out the Ram. And I agree, why don't they offer a Platinum DC?? Probably because they want to push you up to the CrewMax for more $$.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I just wish Toyota offered more of an a la carte style purchase where you could just say "I want this cab, this bed, these steps, those wheels, these options in this color. Go. Build." The other manufacturers offer this and I would have gone with a Ram if it wasn't for the reliability part of the puzzle. Now that Dodge is stepping it up big time, they might get my next purchase. We'll see...........
Felt the same way. They offer a lifetime bumper to bumper oem warranty. That pushed me over the edge to give them a try.

So far one hell of a truck

Stock sport exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-xzCLbD_uc&sns=em

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am of of the opinion that if you dont like it now, you're sure as he!! not going to like it later. Its like that little ding on your door that no one notices but you, but it drives you nuts because its there. Some people can just get used to something, so if you fit that category by all means keep your order. But if it were me, I'd be comparing warranties and prices with ford again. I have owned my share of Fords and Dodge's and can honestly say I like the toyota as much or more, but the reliability is subject to the user and the maintenance. Back in the day, I had a '97 Ff150 that i racked 180k on it and the only thing that ever went out was the heater core, aside from normal brakes, battery and rubber. I have owned my tundra now for just under a year and have already put more money into fixing my tundra than I ever did with that Ford. If it were me, I'd hold out for that 'PERFECT' truck, regardless of the brand.

If I had some solid reliability numbers on the Ford, specifically the Ecoboost turbo engine and also their multi-function voice activated display/nav "SYNC" system (which I've heard is buggy and locks up) then their F150 Platinum or Limited would be the perfect truck for me. Maybe I'm spoiled with my current Tundra's 100% reliability. If I buy the Tundra Limited, I won't regret it. I like it now and the upgrades that I can't get aren't big deals. If I buy the Ford with all the options (for a hefty price) and it has any problems, then I will be very disappointed. I've still got a few weeks to shop around. And a few weeks to see what Toyota will offer for 2015.

·
Registered
961 Posts

A 97 F-150 was extremely basic, A/C and maybe power windows. Modern Trucks have much more to wrong. Spend some time on the Ford forums and see what it cost to repair an off warranty Eco-Boost.

·
Registered
961 Posts
If you want reliability and longevity, get the Tundra.
If you don't want either, get something else.

/s/ non-engineer that doesn't over-think things.

2013 Consumer Reports Comparison

One look at the Tundra's QDR makes the rest of the options look pretty poor.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
View attachment 174521

One look at the Tundra's QDR makes the rest of the options look pretty poor.
Not sure what your attachment was but not true in every case. If you want to keep the truck for tons of miles, 200k, etc then it hard to beat Toyota. But not everyone is doing that now a days. I need much less so the other options look a lot better.

Just saying different people have different needs and likes

·
Registered
961 Posts
Not sure what your attachment was but not true in every case. If you want to keep the truck for tons of miles, 200k, etc then it hard to beat Toyota. But not everyone is doing that now a days. I need much less so the other options look a lot better.

Just saying different people have different needs and likes
I fixed the image, I don't upload pics enough, had the code wrong

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It's been an issue of mine for awhile... Lack of options with Toyota....

I generally stay away from Mopar... But, the latest RAM seems to be the truck to beat in it's current state...
My bro-in-law just got a refreshed 2500 RAM decked out.... Man....

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Lifetime bumper-to-bumper OEM warrantee??? I'd like to see that in writing!
Here you go,

look around that site and in the FAQs, they have a lifetime option for the original owner. Mine has a $100 deductible per visit for as long as you own it.

it's called mopar vehicle protection and the plan is Maxcare, it covers damn near everything.

Maximum Care Plus Plan

"Backed by Manufacturer"

Mopar® Vehicle Protection has been providing peace of mind for over 30 years and is the only extended protection backed by Chrysler Group LLC. Chrysler stands behind Mopar Vehicle Protection with certified, factory-trained technicians; genuine Mopar parts and service at dealerships throughout North America. Be sure to ask for a genuine Mopar Vehicle Protection plan at your dealership. Use these links to help you identify the genuine article."

the sticker on my truck was 48725 and I paid 2185 for the lifetime plan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

we'll see...
Thanks. I did check out the RAM 1500 Sport and Longhorn today. I was impressed. A lot more research and comparison to do but so far all the options I would like are available. Good reviews on the Uconnect 8.4 with the Garmin nav too. Also confirmed the lifetime bumper-to-bumper warrantee. Aprox $3200. Includes free oil changes for life. Note, not transferable but I intend on driving this for 10 or more years, probably close to 200k mikes. Still need to read the fine print for exclusions and the definition of "normal wear items".

So far, the only thing I've run into with the RAM is in the Limited model, the only interior color is black. Not my preference.

I'll report back what I find.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Thanks. I did check out the RAM 1500 Sport and Longhorn today. I was impressed. A lot more research and comparison to do but so far all the options I would like are available. Good reviews on the Uconnect 8.4 with the Garmin nav too. Also confirmed the lifetime bumper-to-bumper warrantee. Aprox $3200. Includes free oil changes for life. Note, not transferable but I intend on driving this for 10 or more years, probably close to 200k mikes. Still need to read the fine print for exclusions and the definition of "normal wear items".

So far, the only thing I've run into with the RAM is in the Limited model, the only interior color is black. Not my preference.

I'll report back what I find.

Thanks again.
yea, it nice the amount of options etc they have.

if you don't like chrome, you can load up a sport and get everything you want on it that other higher trims have, that's what i did.

A few things I would reccomend

get the larger gas tank, it's only $75 bucks
get the anti-spin rear diff (real LSD)
get the convenience package (keyless enter n go, etc)
get the upgraded Alpine system (it rocks for a stock system)
get at least the 8.4A radio, if not the 8.4N
get rear window defrost

they also have larger beds (6'4") for the crewcabs, so keep that in mind, not sure what your needs are.

I love the Ramboxes, again not sure what your needs are but at least check them out.

I did not buy the air suspension but you may want to look at that also

no matter what, the most important thing is GET THE ZF 8 speed, do not buy the truck without it!!!!!

That said, there is nothing wrong with the tundra, it's a great truck, it just doesn't have nearly as many features and options, so you have to decide what you like, many don't care about that.

just a few ideas for you.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts