Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this issue for years but it's only recently gotten worse.

On hot days, when the truck is baking in the sun, it will not crank/start late in the afternoon. I've taken it to both the dealership and a trusted mechanic who, of course, can't replicate it. Getting tired of it happening more and more this summer, I had a reputable mechanic test everything and everything tested out ok. A shot in the dark, I had them replace the starter yesterday. Today, it's still happening. This does not happen on cool/cold days but we don't get many of those in Texas.

I've read coolant temperature gauge is a possibility. Any ideas or experience with this issue would be terribly helpful!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a 97 T100 that would do the similar thing. For me, the fix ended up being a vacuum switching valve. I know it sounds like that there is no way possible that could be the issue but like you my problem would only happen if the outside temp was above 70 or so and only in the afternoon after it had set in the sun all day. It would only crank and not start(not sure if you have a no crank issue though). I also had a 2001 tundra that would occasionally not crank but lights would be bright and not dim as not to indicate a battery problem but the positive terminal would have worked its way loose to cause the issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts