Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen or hear about a recall or anything about rotors warping on SR5 TRD pro package Tundras about every 10-15k miles. This last time (3rd time replacing rotors at 40k miles) I bought some extra heavy duty rotors from auto zone with a 100% guarantee against warping. They are warped too At 49k miles! I had a Dodge Ram before this and ran 36k miles on a lease and the rotors and pads were still fine. Drove it the same way, fast! There has got to be an explanation or fix for this... too many others in the forum having this same complaint! Whats up toyota? the motors run forever, but i cant afford new rotors. Forget about turning them, if the new one warp a thinner on will probably just warp faster?? Not a warranty part is what the dealer says! should be for warping...
Are the calipers Too big for the rotor size? i bought the thickest one i could find this last time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My last set of rotors from Advanced Auto lasted 14k miles as well. I'm waiting with Robb on this one too.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Just because your rotors warp you cant assume its a parts issue. There are already a lot of threads on this site regarding this issues which you can read for yourself but a lot of them repeat similar ways to get rid of it. Dont over torque your lugs. Have your rotors turned to ensure they are true, change your braking habits etc.
I have a 2012 TRD and did my brakes for the first time last year at about 45k so thats about 4 times longer than yours and I do mostly city driving with lots of stop and go. 2 things I make sure of. Only I do my tires and I make sure I use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs. I dont pound them on with an impact and just make sure the wrench clicks, I snug them with the gun and bring them up to torque with the wrench. And if i do any hard braking I dont sit there with my foot on the pedal afterwards, I will put it in neutral and keep my foot off the brake pedal or try to keep inching forward so as not to create a hot spot. Not saying that any of this will help but these are things you can do yourself and help rule those out as the possible culprit.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Replaced the pads and rotors at 71,000 miles on my 2013. No warping at the time, replaced the rotors because they were somewhat rusty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone seen or hear about a recall or anything about rotors warping on SR5 TRD pro package Tundras about every 10-15k miles. This last time (3rd time replacing rotors at 40k miles) I bought some extra heavy duty rotors from auto zone with a 100% guarantee against warping. They are warped too At 49k miles! I had a Dodge Ram before this and ran 36k miles on a lease and the rotors and pads were still fine. Drove it the same way, fast! There has got to be an explanation or fix for this... too many others in the forum having this same complaint! Whats up toyota? the motors run forever, but i cant afford new rotors. Forget about turning them, if the new one warp a thinner on will probably just warp faster?? Not a warranty part is what the dealer says! should be for warping...
Are the calipers Too big for the rotor size? i bought the thickest one i could find this last time.

I am on my 5th Tundra. Like them a great deal. That said, my first two were great with not brake issues. My third, fourth and current one have issues. On my third one after 12,000 miles they turned the rotors and new pads under warranty. Ended up having it done twice while I owned the truck. On my 4th and current one, same issue. Now they are no longer under warranty. Owner has to pay. Wait, you once had great front breaks and pads, you went to a cheaper rotor and then took it off warranty. What a bummer.
jdd

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Make sure your reat shoes are in good condition and adjusted up snug regularly.

the auto adjustment for the rears doesn’t work nearly as well as automakers would like. I don't beleive on my 2016, that it works at all, and I bought the truck new. I don’t think they were ever right until I began adjusting them regularly.

Now, my brakes are great, last a long time, and have a nice firm pedal with minimal travel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I stick with brands I know, and been working on vehicles before Auto Zone was in existence. That's why I shop at Rock Auto, I can choose brands I trust by the test of time. I use Akebono Pads and either Centric or Raybestos Rotors. I never had a problem with these brands, and no customer complaints. Anything from Beck Arnley I would trust as well. Also, I am not responsible for bad braking habits. Like last minute stopping at the light, rotors are hot, pads are holding tight, and that spot were the pads are holding cant dissipate the heat, so therefore your rotor warps. Start stopping way back, pumping the brakes and allow yourself to roll at the light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts