Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a loooong time since Ive been on here. Sadly, the day finally came when my 02 tundra had to be upgraded. Heck of a run. 183k miles, best truck I've ever owned. Picked up a 2016 Tundra DC TRD, they gave me 5500 for the 02 (which I thought was great!) Loving the truck, amazing to finally have steering wheel controls.

Question: noticed a few days after I purchased a weird sound in the fan blower, like a leaf stuck, then it goes away. Took it to the dealer to look at it and come to find out a mouse somehow found its way into the cabin air filter, chewed the filter and p__ped...wth. No nest or dead mouse. The cleaned it out, but it still kind drives me crazy that no one checked it before I picked it up. Gross actually. Should I be worried about this, I had them check wiring etc, everything was "fine" Anyone have a similar issue? Where could a mouse find its way in? I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything. Thanks guys and it feels weird posting again on here!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I need to update my signature too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found mouse turds in my drivers side door storage area/bottle holders. I also found turds on the battery and the plastic engine cover. Sure hope they're not eating my cables.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had (at least one) mouse holding up in my truck for about a week before I finally figured it out. Turns out they love to chew up thos filters, make little beds, crap in them, etc. And even better for the one in my truck, I had tons of snacks for my kids in there, that certainly made this one fat and happy until I called a guy to set bait traps inside my truck.

That mousey sure lived like a king...until I had his a$$ put down. Also forked out some dough to have my truck fully detailed inside and out (it needed a good cleaning anyways) because I could barely sit in my truck, let alone touch any surface without being disgusted with the fact that a mouse had been crawling all over the place in it.

I never found any wiring damage, though. Just mouse poo on the dash, in the doors, under the seats, pretty much everywhere you can think of there was poo...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have them too.
One way is to keep the economiser AC setting on. I closes the door in the AC intake, so they can't get in to chew the the cabin filter. That's the button with your truck with an arrow loopedback on its self, on the AC dash control area. I just keep mine all the time now and crack window for fresh air.
But I have another mouse getting in, I suspect he's using the pressure equalization flaps, in the body, that allow you to close the door with out popping your ear drums.
I also put mouse sticky traps with a few nibbles of dry cat food stuck into the sticky Hegel I'd the trap, I've caught three mice.
like this so far. Any body know any other openings that can get in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found a mouse had got into my cabin filter too. Two things you can do to prevent it from it from happening again:1-add dryer sheets ton your truck and glove box. 2-green Irish spring soap in the truck (that is what I did) and no problems since. That was an RV trick that we use when we put it in Storage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
About all you can do is trap & poison the mice BEFORE they get into your truck. Or you can get a couple of hungry cats. We had tons of mice on our property when we moved in 8 years ago. They were everywhere. After two years of poisoning and trapping, they virtually disappeared, so I quit. Then a new neighbor moved in with a cat that's a real hunter/killer and he keeps doing his job and doing it well. So far, I've never had a mouse get in one of our vehicles and I'm happy about that.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,292 Posts
They follow a urine trail, clean & sanitize all around the truck where it is parked and clean under the hood where they make access.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts