Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 5.7L flexfuel, 30,000 miles, no modifications of any kind, only used standard gasoline (not e85 etc)

When the vehicle sits for 12hours or longer (the longer it sits, the worse it seems to get up to 36hours after which it seems to plateau), I turn the key, let go, and it turns over and over and then stops turning over. I again turn the key, let go, and it turns over and over, starts to start, mild shake (or stutter) as if it is flooded (or not enough fuel), then starts up, mild shaking leaves after 3 seconds, and sounds perfect in about 6-10 seconds, and there is much more white smoke than normal and i think the smell of fuel--therefore I am inclined to think it is flooded (but it is more white smoke than any other color). It then drives beautifully with zero hesitation, zero power issues, and restarts fine.

That was the worst scenario which usually peaks at about 36hours of sitting--then it doesnt get worse but is the above scenario; since it usually sits lets than 12 hours, frequently it will begin to start at the end of 3 seconds and therefore will 'continue' to try to start rather than turn off (it must somehow sense it is starting so keeps turning over) and then starts up and only a smaller amount of white smoke and maybe a small amount of what seems to be a fuel smell occurs.

If i try to start it in 3 hours, it has ZERO issues starting and starts like in 1/2 a second and there is no white smoke, no smell of fuel, etc., like it used to for 3 years earlier.

11/25/19 to 12/06/19 (12 days) it was at the toyota dealer; for the first 9 days or so they couldnt find anything wrong with it (tech even took it home overnight), supposedly (whatever). then finally they said they found out what was wrong (pulled codes p0300, p0305, p0308, p1604 after hot soak and set for 2 days missfire #5 and 7 performed injector leak down test and #5 and #7 injectors leaking into cylinders causing misfires. r&r #5 & #7 injectors starts after sitting; tech Brandon B (795)); installed 23209-39185 : injector set, fuel 23 Qty: 2.

well, that didnt solve a thing as the same exact above scenario continues, and now it is out of the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. it is just as bad as ever and is quite stressful as I am worried i will be stranded someplace.

I have searched here on the forum and have paged thru back 8 months or so on the tundra forum and read some similar issues (key, air filter, dirty or bad mass air flow sensor, bad battery).

My key is fine and i have tried the second key with no change; my battery is fine as it turns over and over very strong, even when it is 20 F out here in poplar bluff, mo. i had the engine and cabin air filters replaced. my gas cap is supposedly ok according to toyota and it does seem to tighten fine.

Please.... i need help. This town i am in only has about 20,000 ppl and i am not sure about the experience of the techs here due to low volume repairs (and i purchased it here in this town and the next dealer is about 100 mi away and would probly need to be left for days to generate a problem, if any, on their computers).

I have searched here, google, etc and i have no car expertise and i appreciate any and all feedback.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Cant say I can help with the problem but as far as being out of warranty, if you have already been to a dealer, and they tried to fix it, wouldnt this still be a problem you could push since it was noted while still under the warranty time? You said they had it for 12 days a little over a month ago so I would push like hell to get this fixed. Be polite, obviously, but talk to the service manager if you get nowhere at the service counter and dont take no for an answer. Escalate it to corporate if you have to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry having no knowledge of flex fuel trucks here but normally too much fuel expells black smoke. White smoke is generally how antifreeze looks as per intake/head gasket leaks & burns. Also trans fluid looks white too..
Blue/white of course being oil burning.

FWIW ...
Most likely it's an easy fix, I know it's frustrating on today's vehicles but hang in there. I'll tell you these trucks are outstanding so its very rare it being a major but it happens to the best.
Surprised the dealership didn't track it down?
I found it best to keep reading the net for each issue I'm experiencing and read "everywhere" on the net because your not alone.
Even step out of the Toyota box searching too because a combustion engine is a combustion engine you know? Like a flex is a flex regardless of the grille badge one wears problems a basically shared except Toys are just so much better built as we all know.

Mines a 2005 4.7 with 353k miles, not only has it never had a major yet I've only had to do maintenance except rebuilding my front suspension. All expected with mileage.
Whatever is causing this issue on yours somebody else has been there before so you may just have to listen/speak/explain/scream/throw tools in the right direction sometimes to line her out. Don't run any plug except NGK plugs, I learned that with mine. Sorry long post, hoping it's an easy fix!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
2017 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 5.7L flexfuel, 30,000 miles, no modifications of any kind, only used standard gasoline (not e85 etc)

I am having the same problem with my 14 FF. A while back i switched to non-oxy fuel, and it was good as new. Now that i've gone back to oxy fuel, the problem has re-appeared. I'm wondering if there is a TSB for the fuel system?

When the vehicle sits for 12hours or longer (the longer it sits, the worse it seems to get up to 36hours after which it seems to plateau), I turn the key, let go, and it turns over and over and then stops turning over. I again turn the key, let go, and it turns over and over, starts to start, mild shake (or stutter) as if it is flooded (or not enough fuel), then starts up, mild shaking leaves after 3 seconds, and sounds perfect in about 6-10 seconds, and there is much more white smoke than normal and i think the smell of fuel--therefore I am inclined to think it is flooded (but it is more white smoke than any other color). It then drives beautifully with zero hesitation, zero power issues, and restarts fine.

That was the worst scenario which usually peaks at about 36hours of sitting--then it doesnt get worse but is the above scenario; since it usually sits lets than 12 hours, frequently it will begin to start at the end of 3 seconds and therefore will 'continue' to try to start rather than turn off (it must somehow sense it is starting so keeps turning over) and then starts up and only a smaller amount of white smoke and maybe a small amount of what seems to be a fuel smell occurs.

If i try to start it in 3 hours, it has ZERO issues starting and starts like in 1/2 a second and there is no white smoke, no smell of fuel, etc., like it used to for 3 years earlier.

11/25/19 to 12/06/19 (12 days) it was at the toyota dealer; for the first 9 days or so they couldnt find anything wrong with it (tech even took it home overnight), supposedly (whatever). then finally they said they found out what was wrong (pulled codes p0300, p0305, p0308, p1604 after hot soak and set for 2 days missfire #5 and 7 performed injector leak down test and #5 and #7 injectors leaking into cylinders causing misfires. r&r #5 & #7 injectors starts after sitting; tech Brandon B (795)); installed 23209-39185 : injector set, fuel 23 Qty: 2.

well, that didnt solve a thing as the same exact above scenario continues, and now it is out of the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. it is just as bad as ever and is quite stressful as I am worried i will be stranded someplace.

I have searched here on the forum and have paged thru back 8 months or so on the tundra forum and read some similar issues (key, air filter, dirty or bad mass air flow sensor, bad battery).

My key is fine and i have tried the second key with no change; my battery is fine as it turns over and over very strong, even when it is 20 F out here in poplar bluff, mo. i had the engine and cabin air filters replaced. my gas cap is supposedly ok according to toyota and it does seem to tighten fine.

Please.... i need help. This town i am in only has about 20,000 ppl and i am not sure about the experience of the techs here due to low volume repairs (and i purchased it here in this town and the next dealer is about 100 mi away and would probly need to be left for days to generate a problem, if any, on their computers).

I have searched here, google, etc and i have no car expertise and i appreciate any and all feedback.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Sorry. Looks like i hijacked your thread.
I am having the same problem with my 14 FF. A while back i switched to non-oxy fuel, and it was good as new. Now that i've gone back to oxy fuel, the problem has re-appeared. I'm wondering if there is a TSB for the fuel system?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts