Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I just purchased a 2005 Tundra Double Cab limited edition on 22 inch wheels. I don't know too much about tires, but I measured the entire thing (rim + tire) has a 31 inch diameter. The tire is 10 inches wide. I get rubbing on what looks like the frame when making a sharp turn. I think that the truck has been lifted, but I'm not sure since the dealership that I bought it from (South Bay Ford) didn't have any of this information. Any solutions for the rubbing?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
26 Posts
what size tires do you have? I have 22's too and I don't have that issue because i went for 265's ... if yours are wider then you might want to get narrower tires.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's a combination of two things: the 10" wide wheels and the wrong offset.

10's will actually work fine with the right offset, so the problem is more with the offset than the width of the wheel. The wheels you have do not have the correct one so it rubs. You could run a 265 or a 295, as long as you stay close to the O.D. the width will have no impact.

My opinion? Sell them, back it down to 20x9" rim with the correct offset and run a 295 45 20.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Selling them is in my opinion a last resort option...I took it to the Toyota dealer today for service and they said it doesn't look like it's been lifted. Could a little lift or maybe some spacers fix the problem?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Selling them is in my opinion a last resort option...I took it to the Toyota dealer today for service and they said it doesn't look like it's been lifted. Could a little lift or maybe some spacers fix the problem?
ok did i miss it? i dont see where you say what size rims (22X??) and what size tires you have (???/??/22) ... could spacers help? who knows, when i tried to put 305/40/22 tires in my truck we attempted to use spacers and still rubbed (i wouldn't want to go that route anyway). Getting the right size tire helped.
As far as offset, homeboy up there could be correct if you in fact have the correct size tire. (right size tire + wrong offset = rubbing)
Or you may have the right offset but wrong size tire. (right offset + wrong size tire = rubbing)
Or last choice you have the wrong offset AND the wrong size tire (plain wrong)

It's a combination of things my friend but it's hard to say when we don't get all the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to clarify, the rims are 22 inches, and the entire diameter of the tire is 31 inches. That would mean that there is 9 inches of tire (4.5 inches on either side of the rim). The tires say 275/45 on them and are 10 inches wide. Thanks for the help. Selling these rims is really out of the question since they came on the car and I otherwise wouldn't spend money on nice rims (not worth it to me, even though it looks great). My hope is to get these rims/tires properly mounted on the truck.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
26 Posts
275's and 45 low profile is not that bad so I don't think you have the wrong size tire, but it does sound like you may have the wrong offset and you 'could' try to get some spacers if you really don't have the $$ to sell them (again, not something I would do), you may not have a choice but to sell them and get the right size wheels my friend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts