Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear from members to see if a 22 inch wheel will fit on my 06 DC? And if so, what size tire can I use for the best ride?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i wish i had 24's. or 22's. just haven't found a set that will have the TPMS.
i don't want to disconnect it, or have that light on all the time.
there are a few members.
i sweet blue tundra, but i think he has 24's.
many members don't like big rim's. because they don't think they belong.
or that they have a lease, or off road alot.

i don't i love them. but for now my 20's will due.
i hope you find all members & pictures so you get a good look.
there are people that love BIG rim's.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 22" wheel and "ride" don't belong in the same sentence. Why would you want to put such a gigantic wheel on your truck, even if you managed to make it fit?
To be technical my original quote does not have "wheel" and "ride" in the same sentence.

I was just asking to get an idea of how large I could go if I decided to put larger wheels on MY TRUCK, That's all I was asking...

Thanks for you input Gorilla

·
Registered
313 Posts
I really don't have any experience with wheels that size...However, I can warn you that you are about to receive a whole bunch of hate for the idea of putting 22"s on a truck, try not to get too frustrated, I'm just saying, it is GOING to happen

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have 20s with 275/55 on my 02 tundra but I know your model has way more room than mines. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to go with 22 and possibly 300? I agree with your thought though, I like on road tires on my truck. Is not a 4X4 and I don't like going mudding because things always break when I go. So a clean street tundra is awesome. If anyone hates on the large rims and low profile tires then don't leave a comment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Look for posts by Sizematters75. I believe he put 22's on his truck. Could have been 24's. I think he had to lift it or something.
He put 24's on, but it required a lot of modifications to the inner fender wall and he indeed had to add a lift..

I'm not sure but I think he got rid of the 24's (too much)..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Would like to hear from members to see if a 22 inch wheel will fit on my 06 DC? And if so, what size tire can I use for the best ride?
Yes 22" rims will fit depending on how wide they are. Going with 22" rims will have a major difference in RIDE QUALITY. It all depends on how much you can tolerate. Obviously the more rubber between the rim and the road the better ride you will have. If you go too large on the aspect ratio, you may have to get your ECU re-calibrated to compensate for the larger circumference. Be careful and hold on to your steering wheel, because Tundras (especially the access cab models) follow every imperfection in the road and if you aren't paying attention the road will grab the steering wheel right out of your hand.

What rims are you looking at? How wide are they?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have 20s with 275/55 on my 02 tundra but I know your model has way more room than mines. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to go with 22 and possibly 300? I agree with your thought though, I like on road tires on my truck. Is not a 4X4 and I don't like going mudding because things always break when I go. So a clean street tundra is awesome. If anyone hates on the large rims and low profile tires then don't leave a comment.
How are those tires working out for you? Do you have the same problem I do with the road grabbing the wheels and pulling the truck? I run 265/50 and wanted to see if going a little bigger would help with it. Do you notice any shifting issues or speedometer issues?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, yes, we all call it something. i spent countless hours reseaching this fix.
even on my 20's X-SP. buy hankook ventus ST tires & your issue isn't there, it's gone for good.
i'm sure there 22's & are good as there 20's.
i just bought another set, soon to arrive.
it's gone 4ever!
oh i forgot, i had 265/55 20's bfbadrench G-force radial T/A's.
it was bad seriously bad. almost to where you could have a accident.
now i went bigger & much stronger. 295/45/20's.
gorilla;)

Yes 22" rims will fit depending on how wide they are. Going with 22" rims will have a major difference in RIDE QUALITY. It all depends on how much you can tolerate. Obviously the more rubber between the rim and the road the better ride you will have. If you go too large on the aspect ratio, you may have to get your ECU re-calibrated to compensate for the larger circumference. Be careful and hold on to your steering wheel, because Tundras (especially the access cab models) follow every imperfection in the road and if you aren't paying attention the road will grab the steering wheel right out of your hand.

What rims are you looking at? How wide are they?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Fresh,
Yes I was the one who put 24's on my truck. It did require some time and efforts finding exact rims with offset and to fit a decent size tire on them. Now I no longer have them cause I still tried to use it as a truck and they didnt last to long.
For the OP, to clear 22's depending on offset and tire size yes you will still have to lift. Reason why I chose to go 24's because it wasnt a common occurence. If you do a 22 with a 285/25/R22 you can clear with minamle rubbing. But again this has a lot to do with rim offset.
Im not going to get to extensive in what I did to my truck but if you want additional info. mail me and I will be more then happy to give you as much info. as I can provide.
Heres a few pictures of the Tundra with the big uglies

Reactions: black pearl 06 sr5

·
Registered
170 Posts
hi, yes, we all call it something. i spent countless hours reseaching this fix.
even on my 20's X-SP. buy hankook ventus ST tires & your issue isn't there, it's gone for good.
i'm sure there 22's & are good as there 20's.
i just bought another set, soon to arrive.
it's gone 4ever!
oh i forgot, i had 265/55 20's bfbadrench G-force radial T/A's.
it was bad seriously bad. almost to where you could have a accident.
now i went bigger & much stronger. 295/45/20's.
gorilla;)
Hey Gorilla,

Right now I am running Falken stz01 265/50/R20 and the problem is baaadd!!!

Before I was running 275/45/R20 and didnt notice the problem much. I don't remember the tire brand.

Is it because the Falkens are a soft rubber? Are the Ventus' harder rubber? I remember I had ventus tires on my Maxima with 18" rims and they were okay.

I am due for new tires VERY SOON. I dont want to waste any more money becuase the Falkens only lasted me like 25,000 miles, and I want to keep my 20's.

I read that you are running 295/45/R20 but my rims are only 8.5" wide so 295 seems to wide . Should I go back to 275/45/R20 or go up to 275/55/R20?

What do you reccomend?

Thanks alot!!!

By the way are you a Canes Fan??

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, not much into college ball.
honestly i think my x-sp rims have to be wider than 8.5 otherwise how could mine fit.
i never measured them.
toyota parts manager told me i could run 295/45/20's with the toyota specific X-SP rims.
no rubbing at all.
i have soft rubber to. there v-rated. directional tires.
it depends on the tire. ventus ST are sticky & strong.
so you don't get that action. it holds the road so tight.

i honestly don't know what size you should pick.

but i wouldn't put any other tire on my tundra but the hankook ventus ST's.

i hated that feeling, & as long as it is totally gone, and in the rain they are great.
and i can take turns without sliding at, at .91g's. no noise around turns.
i can keep up with audi, & bmw's in turns. you have to see there faces, priceless! ;-)
i'll stick with my hankooks as long as i own my tundra.

the bfgoodrich g-force lasted me 17,000miles.
& i was all over the road,rutting, tracking, side to side shake!
the truck would almost change lanes on it's own.
1 & 1/2 years & they were worn out.

hankook's 3 & 1/2 years, not bad, for south florida.
i could go another 6months i am not to that part of the tire that show's you when you need tires, except for my tire that spins (burn out's)right rear.
so i could rotate them.
but i just bought the hankooks to play again.
maybe someone else with more experience can help.
check out tire rack, & there rating system.
that might help you.
there is a thread about this somewhere.

my wifes rav4 tires lasted 5years, and she still has thread.
but she hates her tires, so i think i'm going to by her hankook ventus st.
in the rain, she slides out, she needs a better tire.
the wind blows that rav4 all over. i was thinking if she had sticky tires it would help.
we will give it a try, when she's due, or something similar.

i don't care to much about buying tires, if they give us better handling, in the rain,& wind.
and grip for the oil, & deep puddles. you can't put a price on tires, it can save your life.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
158 Posts
Fresh, my tire and rim combination is amazing. Really smooth and I didn't have to align anything. I'll have to do it next week with the leveling kit but the 275/55/20 Paradas Spec X work amazing. The speedometer is off a tad bit, but that's because my 02 wasn't really suppose to have 20's. I had to hammer the bumper and take the front mudflaps. Handling is good and tire grip is good. :-D

·
Registered
130 Posts
22s with a 265/40 tire are the same overall diameter and width as the stock 265/65/17 tires. If you buy wheels with the correct width and backspacing, you won't have to lift it. You could even lower it if you want. Check a few websites that offer a fitment guarantee to see what will fit and what won't. They'll probably ride a little rougher than stock, but if it's what you want, who cares? Buy what you want.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Fresh, my tire and rim combination is amazing. Really smooth and I didn't have to align anything. I'll have to do it next week with the leveling kit but the 275/55/20 Paradas Spec X work amazing. The speedometer is off a tad bit, but that's because my 02 wasn't really suppose to have 20's. I had to hammer the bumper and take the front mudflaps. Handling is good and tire grip is good. :-D
You have no issues with he truck wandering?

What made you decide on 275/55 instead of 265/50(which is reccomended for our trucks)?

·
I'm just here for the food!
600 Posts
Hey Wassup Gorilla:devil:

To the OP: I have 22"s on my truck. 2005 DC and it's lowered SOS 2"/3.5" with no rubbing or mods whatsoever. I have the same wheels that member "peterfarhangi" had on his tundra a while back which is the KMC Dimes 22x9.5. Tires are Hankook Ventus 285/35/22.

Here's an upclose shot of the wheel and tire fitment

Side profile shot of wheels when truck was stock height

Some shots of it after it was lowered a bit

I have more if interested, but I need to upload them online as I never got around to it. Though hopefully you'll get the idea of how it looks. Any other questions, i'll be happy to help as best as I can

Reactions: black pearl 06 sr5

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, this is the guy, with that sweet looking tundra i was talking about ,when i said a blue tundra.
now if you don't like this tundra, thats your opinion, & it's a matter of taste & what you use your
tundra for. but this is 1 awesome looking tundra to me.
thanks for allowing us to veiw this. i always get a smile when i see it, now you added more pictures
i have a smile that will last all day.
hopefully i can give you points, i'll try.
it worked, i was able to give you point's.
they must have removed the block! LOL just kidding mod's.
i got to get a set of these & a plus is i can use HANKOOK TIRE'S YEPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! & they are ventus ST's i see that now! holly molly, how cool is that. my exact tire's.
as soon as i finish my next project, i will be doing exactly this, or maybe you know of similar 1's, that will work without any mod's. i like my tundra the way it is, all i want is 22's. i was hoping you would see the post & show us all.
thanks,
gorilla

·
Registered
6 Posts
sorry to revive such a old thread does the access cabs and double cabs have the same amount of space in the fenders thought i read somewhere in the thread they were different have a 03 access cab thinking of going with a 305-35-24 on it or should i stick with a 22 inch wheel have the 20 inch deep six on there now gonna sale those

1 - 20 of 20 Posts