Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone,

I'm in the process of modding my '06 sequoia, spoiler and rims are next on my list. I'm between 20's and 22's. I understand the differences in ride quality and fuel mileage, i'm just looking purely at cost and tread wear at this point, i want to spreadsheet the costs to see what makes the most sense. Does anyone know an estimate difference in tread wear between the two?

I have only had cars with low profiles in the past so i dont know how to compare the wear to an SUV with lower profile tires. I would prefer to avoid having the little rubber band tires if at all possible

Thanks for any input,

Jonathan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Noone has feedback?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Tread ware cannot be measured in that way between 20 and 22. It has a great deal to do with each persons driving habits and vehicle charactoristics. I have 22" wheels on my '07 tundra and they seem to be down about 2-3/32 after about 12k miles. You have to concider tire compounds, temps, air pressure, alignment, type and style of driving. A tire could be rated at 50k miles but may last longer or may wear out at 40k. Softer compound tires will wear faster as most performance tires are softer. I had a set of continental crosscontact UHP (ultra high performance) and they were really soft. 4k miles lost 2/32 of tread depth. The ones I have now are general grabbers and have faired better than the first set. Width of the tires also plays on wear more on the front than the back because of steer drag or scuffing off on corners. I would tend to believe the same to be true for 20" tires.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feedback. I have only owned small cars in the past so larger rims/tires are new to me. I was under the impression that with a 20" rim, by not going with a low profile tire i would have a bit more tread than with a rubber band tire.

Thanks again for your input.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Most tires are made to have around 10/32 tread depth in new condition. some are less but in the same range. Remember tire replacement depth is 2/32 by most state laws. Reguardless of the side wall profile the tread depth is going to be in the same ball park on all tires until you get into mud tires. They tend to have deep treads for mud action but thats a whole other playing field. Just keep in mind that the softer the tire the shorter the life span. I used to buy BFG sport TA's for a long time because they handled very well on my old truck but they only lasted about 12 months. I ended up in the end with a set of 205/40/16 on the truck and they lasted me until I sold the truck 3 years later with about 50k miles on the tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts