Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tested my 04 Tundra's payload last weekend without thinking about how much weight I was putting in the truck. I didn't remember what the specs said payload capacity was and I probably wouldn't have done this if I would've known what I do now....BUT my baby hauled what I estimate to be about 2350 lbs!!!! That weight consisting of 30 4x4 treated posts (est 25 lbs each--very heavy when soaked with the pressure treatment) and 20 bags of 80lb Quickrete. I was just a little concerned at how low the bed was riding, but I did have all the quickcrete sitting over the axle. When I got home, I thought to myself I just hauled a serious load here and I should look up the payload capacity. Well, now you know--1 ton, 350 lbs for 20 miles--no problem!:)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
yeah, how was your gas milage?:D i know mines sucked *** when i had 9 kegs in the back of my truck. was getting 7-8mpg...

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I sometimes wonder if they don't under-spec them for the NorAm market...or if the rating is the standard 1/2 max...

In other words the working load is 1/2 the max rating, which is half the ultimate rating (where it breaks). I don't know if that's true or not.

What I do know is that an 00 will handle a GVW 6500# (roughly 2000# of payload), on 35" tires with a stock drivetrain and some of the worst offroad terrain in the country :cool:. They did something right, that's for certain.

-Sean

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well, they sure don't rate them anywhere near where they'll BREAK, but there's other things like handling characteristics, steering response, and brake limits. And law suits.

If the springs are max'd and you're sitting on the axle... things will get ugly in a hurry. 2,000# isn't that big of a deal really, but the Tundra doesn't exactly LIKE it. My 1-ton squats about 3" with 4,000# in the bed and for the most part you have no clue the weight is back there. I wouldn't put 2,000# in a Tundra on a regular basis and expect there to be no problems, but short trips and prudent driving (don't hit those chuck-holes at 40mph....) wouldn't worry me. I've had a 8,500# trailer on my Tundra with a very heavy tongue and it was fine. I wouldn't drive very far like that, but on a short trip is was manageable.

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
I tested my 04 Tundra's payload last weekend without thinking about how much weight I was putting in the truck. I didn't remember what the specs said payload capacity was and I probably wouldn't have done this if I would've known what I do now....BUT my baby hauled what I estimate to be about 2350 lbs!!!! That weight consisting of 30 4x4 treated posts (est 25 lbs each--very heavy when soaked with the pressure treatment) and 20 bags of 80lb Quickrete. I was just a little concerned at how low the bed was riding, but I did have all the quickcrete sitting over the axle. When I got home, I thought to myself I just hauled a serious load here and I should look up the payload capacity. Well, now you know--1 ton, 350 lbs for 20 miles--no problem!:)
Yeah I drove mine about 5 miles with a yard of topsoil in mine and it took it pretty good it sag pretty low but handled great.Don't know what the actual weight was but when the guy dumped it Iwas like what the f$$$ did I do.Even put about 30 squares of sod too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a pallet of stacking stones in mine. The guy at Home Depot thought I was crazy but I told him to go for it. I only had about two miles to go. She was squatting and the steering was a little mushy but she powered through like a champ. I wouldn’t dream of doing this on a regular basis but in a pinch….:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Put a Timbren Kit on my 06 DC and this solved all the related overload problems for me. No "Mushy" steering, no "Sag". You probably should put a little extra air in the tires, especially is you have the oem stuff.

If everyone stuck to the load ratings on pickup trucks, ALL COMMERCE WOULD COME TO A SCREECHING HALT.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I was just a little concerned at how low the bed was riding, but I did have all the quickcrete sitting over the axle.
Generally speaking, I try to put the heavy stuff as close to the cab as possible, that way the load is spread over the front and rear suspension. It seems to work well, doesn't squat the truck as much, and handling seems to be better.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I threw 2150 lbs of decomposed granite in the back today and made it home just fine. Removing the granite from the bed and up the hill to the back yard wasn't as fun or easy. The sales guy at Home Depot asked me twice if my truck was big enough.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I threw 2150 lbs of decomposed granite in the back today and made it home just fine. Removing the granite from the bed and up the hill to the back yard wasn't as fun or easy. The sales guy at Home Depot asked me twice if my truck was big enough.
I'm surprised they cared.

My buddy was having his hardwood floor replaced, went to pick up the flooring, they brought it out with a forklift.

They were going to load it all into his Hyundai Santa Fe.

He works in an office, and hadn't thought much of it, was more interested in whether or not there was enough room inside the little SUV.

I told him to calculate how much each box weighed, then think about how much the Santa Fe can handle.

He ended up making three trips, and the idiots at Home Depot were ready to load it all on the first go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
3360 in the bed of my dad's '01 AC a few months ago.

(full pallet of quikcrete)

with 3 of us in the cab ~ 700 more lbs.

i'm sure we were pushing it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A few months ago I helped my brother and his wife get some rocks from a friend. I measured the rear bumper before we unloaded and then again when we were finished. The bumper squatted 5" Any idea how much weight was in the bed?

2000 AC V8 TRD 2wd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts