Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal.

I was intent on ordering a 22 inch 3 piece rim for my 2/4 lowered CrewMax.

However, the manufacturer cannot sort a 22 inch rim for these trucks. It has to be a 24.

So. I had convinced myself that 22 was the perfect size for these vehicles, and really can't say I have even seen one with a 24.

Thoughts? Pictures?

Street truck with street tires, no off-road.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think 24s fit well on these big trucks...
Although some may disagree lol

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If price isn't an issue 24" is the perfect size for our trucks. 26" are a bit big, 22" look good but aren't "just right" like a 24" is.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
For a DC, I like 20s or 22s. On a CM, I like 22s and 24s. On a Sequoia, I agree with JMS, 24s are just right.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So here's the deal.

I was intent on ordering a 22 inch 3 piece rim for my 2/4 lowered CrewMax.

However, the manufacturer cannot sort a 22 inch rim for these trucks. It has to be a 24.

So. I had convinced myself that 22 was the perfect size for these vehicles, and really can't say I have even seen one with a 24.

Thoughts? Pictures?

Street truck with street tires, no off-road.
i have 24's and my only gripe about them so far, is that i didnt get 26's. even the 24 looks border line small on this truck. sorry i dont have any pics of mine yet, i put my summer rims back on tomorow, so pics are coming soon. but the 24's have a great fit, 22's would look puny.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
18's and some sidewall. :)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Reading post all the way through helps:behindsofa:

Now if he was going your route of lift+big tires then of course 18 would be good:biggrin1:
i read it. and i just pokin fun. :) id like to have 20s but i have 18s. but nothing larger than 20 IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Only problem with 26s is that there just isn't enough tire. For the majority of people, a sidewall that thin just doesn't make sense for a daily driver. Here in New Jersey, after the blizzards and the rain, we have potholes the size of Australia. I can't imagine NYC, Altanta, LA, or Southern California, where the OP is from.

It's not always about how things look, but how they will hold up on a daily basis. The last thing most folks need when they are trying to get to work and home 5x a week is a bent wheel.

Another consideration is braking. My braking was noticeably diminished with 22s. I think going to a 24 or above without upgrading brakes will make the truck extremely unpleasant to drive, not to mention the stock rotors and calipers look very diminiutive behind large wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Sure, and there's nothing wrong with that! But, I just know from experience that when you buy something based on looks, it's sometimes too easy to not consider other factors BEFORE it's too late and you've spent a ton of money :)

As long as the OP knows what he's getting into, then he has my blessing :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Heres Mine on 24s and 4/5 drop. Looks wise, I think it looks better with 26s but you'll need to check it it can fit. My wife drives it everyday not probs so far.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
My 22s are huge up close, but look like 20s from a distance. I would go with 24s if I had to do it again only if I could get a tire at least with as much rubber as my 305/45/22 Nittos. Driving our Florida trip to and from this week was just right with my setup so with 24s, I am unsure of how smooth or not smooth the ride would have been.

I do think that my 22s will look bigger with a 2-4/5 drop........

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is one my guy at the shop emailed me:

IMG_5223-1.jpg

I ordered them yesterday. I'll post pics once I get the truck back, hopefully next weekend.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I had considered the braking issue as well. My impression is that these trucks are over-engineered (throw a supercharger on and not give it a second thought), and the stock brakes will be fine (i.e., the truck is designed to to tow 10,800 lbs, and presumably is also sorted to bring that mass to a standstill).

The look of the stock brake behind the new rim may very well be an issue, however...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts