Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of replacing the stock tires on the Highlander Limited and cannot find that size at Michelin, BF Goodrich, Sam's Club, Costco, etc. Has anybody found a tire to go on this vehicle?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think Toyo and Bridgestone are the only tires right now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In my opinion it will be a while before other manufacturers offer this size.
In my area you have to go through a Toyota dealer to get one.

Again just an opinion but I would guess other companies would do a business case to see how many other manufactures use this size before they rush it in to production.

Would think Bridgestone and Toyo distributors should be importing some in the future as the Highlander sales go up.

Anyone found any other manufacturer the uses this size on their vehicles??

On edit...I found the Bridgestone tires on the Tire Rack site as available so at least there is an option other than the dealer at the moment

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with summerwind. I had a 1st MY volvo xc90 with an odd tire size and for the first 2 years there was only 2 or 3 tires available for the new size. Hopefully it will be better for the HL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, it is truly an odd size and after posting I had found that Bridgestone carries that size. I did not know that Toyo carried them as well. Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Just curious as to why yu want to change tires on your new HL so soon???? What are yu trying to change...performance...traction?
This size is currently an OEM TPC spec. Any alternative brand or model would be similar in both criterias.(Perf.+Traction)

That would be an expensive experiment, but I surmise yu know that?

It would be futile as there is not enough of a great selection in this size tire out there that would improve performance or traction. At any price.

Save your money for the next 15-20K miles. Then see whats out there in a year or two.

My thoughts.

Good luck:)

LT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well to be honest it is due to the Bridgestone name, I had a friend who was injured in the infamous exploding tires fiasco a number of years back and he had Firestone/Bridgestone tires on his Explorer. I had upgraded my wife's tires earlier this year from the dealer for $200 more to Michelins on her '07 TCH and we have been very pleased in all aspects. No big rush, just curious what else was out there.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Firestone to this day has not been able to recover from that Explorer fiasco.

Yu never see Firestones as an OE tire on any new vehicle, if yu have noticed.
Even the vehicle Mfr's don't want them on new production cars. It could potentially hurt sales.

But Bridgstone Division is still a popular name in tires. To me, a decent tire. But not my favorite.

In the end I always use Michelins.

When I got my new HL Ltd., I asked for the Michelins and did not want the Goodyear's. The dealer obliged at no charge.

LT:)

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
My O6 LTD was plentiful in inventory, so I got to choose.
I understand the 2008 HL's are not as abundant so tire choice is basically pot luck as to what yu get.

My tire choice was either the Goodyear [email protected]$110 to replace Or the Mich. LX4 @$165 to replace.

It was a no brainer as to what the better tire was to ask for.

Lt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Firestone to this day has not been able to recover from that Explorer fiasco.

Yu never see Firestones as an OE tire on any new vehicle, if yu have noticed.
Even the vehicle Mfr's don't want them on new production cars. It could potentially hurt sales.

But Bridgstone Division is still a popular name in tires. To me, a decent tire. But not my favorite.

In the end I always use Michelins.

When I got my new HL Ltd., I asked for the Michelins and did not want the Goodyear's. The dealer obliged at no charge.

LT:)
Hi there, just for information Firestone is still OE on several car including Toyota, and maybe more surprising to you is the fact that Bridgestone-Firestone still #1 in the world, so for the buddy who doesn't like the name think again and maybe change a little the opinion. Blessings. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I like Bridgestone...especially before Goodyear.

But please don't hyphenate and include Firestone in any writing here.

My Michelins will be insulted.:)

LT

·
Registered
24 Posts
245/55 19 tires on a 2008 highlander hybrid toyo OEM factory tire........HOW DO I GET REPLACEMENTS>>>I do not like the tire can I go to a smaller wheel and a bigger tire to still get the overall Diameter????? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Yu will have to up size to a 20 inch rim and get the appropriate size tire to maintain your OE wheel diameter. NOT too hard to do.
But will be an expensive remedy to your dilema. But 20" not 19" rims and tires are more the standard these days. There are many more options available to yu.
LT:happy:

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Preliminary research shows that by using a 20 inch rim on your 08+ HL yu have about 10 + tires to choose from.

It appears that 245/50-20 and 255/50-20 sizes will work. This will maintain OE tire diameter and keep tread width close to OE specs.
The 245/50-20 tire/rim combination appears to be an Identical fit within millimeters of the OE 245/55-19 size.LT

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I can't believe that Toyota spec'd out a 19 inch rim with a made in Japan only tire for this otherwise excellent 08 Highlander!

I feel that this is Toyotas biggest problem with the New HL design. There are virtually NO tire options let alone being able to readily find inventory on this OE 245/55-19 tire. And it is expensive.

No other Auto Mfr. is doing OE 19 inch rims and tires these days!
Tire Mfrs' have no incentive to design 19" tires to support only this 08 HL. There aren't even any Dedicated Snow tires out there for this size.

Toyota should have offered a 20" wheel package instead. Then the 08 HL would have been the first Toyota to have this size instaead of the 09 Toy. Venza being the first...as they brag much about this.
LT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!
I am having the same problem here in Iowa. I have the Highlander 2008 Limited and love it until the snow and ice hit. I got stuck and then slid down our driveway sideways with absolutely no control. I went to the toyota dealer to have my 4-wheel drive checked and all was ok....then they looked at my tires and suggested I get new ones.
My next stop was the tire store and the only tires available to me are the ones that I have on(toyo) or Bridgestone Dueler HL which have terrible reviews on the tirerack.com.
Help!!!
I live in IOWA!
The weather is crazy at best. This is my 3rd Highlander, I ususally replace it every couple of years....this is my 1st Limited and the worse winter driving experiences, a lot of slidding and slipping.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In Northern Illinois the weather is bad I just went to a 275 60 17 on a 17x 8 inch wheels the other day and it works great I put on a Firestone Le destination tires and it appears to work great. I tested for fit aftermarket wheels because of the extra large calipers and came up with a set...Also down the road tire replacement will not cost what the 20inch tire and wheels will cost The tire is quiet and smooth running. I have had all different tires in the past and these firestone do the job. the speedo is off only less than 1 mile an hour and if I remember .82

1 - 20 of 33 Posts