Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 245's now and am looking for the first factory tire replacement of the Duelers. As far as price, both sizes are about the same. The 265's will give me about another inch of lift since the diamater is 1" higher.

Will I experience a drop in gas mileage and will it look better, or should I stick with the 245's?

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
265/70 is really a good size tire for these trucks, mine came that way stock. I dropped a bit of mileage when I went to 285, so I imagine you will drop a bit too going from 245 to 265. If it concerns you a lot then stick to the size you have, but I'd rather have 265. I think its well proportioned for the truck.:tu:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input. my intuition is telling me go for the 265 tires. btw Erki, your truck looks good with the 3" lift

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
My 05 V6 Tundra came with 265/70/16. On the interstate, I would average 21-22 mpg going 75-80. If you are planning on leveling the front end, the 265's will look good. Take a look in my gallery. My front end was raised/leveled 2 inches with 265's. Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Man, your truck looked so different back then, cool to see what it looked like before and after you went off with the mods. Hmmm, great idea for a new thread!
Here is a pic of mine before M.A.D.ness kicked in full blast. 265/75 16 and yes, 265/75 will fit on stock and looks even better.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a question that might help the OP and others that are interested in the 265s. The 265/70/R16 is an optional upgrade over the 245/70R16 for some 1rst gen tundras and many of the benefits have been stated. If the OP upgrades to 265 what steps are involved to ensure speedometer accuracy? The Toyota service manager that I use did not have an answer or solution when upgrading to the factory optional 265s.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good link. I was also wondering about the speedometer adjustment. From what it looks like, it should only be a 1-3 mph difference from actual speed (varies by speed and wear of tires though?)...

·
Registered
609 Posts
should also look into 265 75 16. Ive been running that with my front 3" lift and looks good. As well I believe it fits in with the stock height so if you decided to level out the front it would still look great.
I went from 265/70R16 to 265/75R16 and like the look and ride. My speedometer is off just a hair over 5%. Many of you state that a larger tire will decrease fuel milage, mine did not. Are you guys forgetting to add the difference?
For example when my odemeter shows that I went a 100 miles then I actualy went 105 miles. At 200K miles I still get between 16-20 mpg, depending on where and how I drive.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I went from 265/70R16 to 265/75R16 and like the look and ride. My speedometer is off just a hair over 5%. Many of you state that a larger tire will decrease fuel milage, mine did not. Are you guys forgetting to add the difference?
For example when my odemeter shows that I went a 100 miles then I actualy went 105 miles. At 200K miles I still get between 16-20 mpg, depending on where and how I drive.

Agree 100%. There is a point, however, where you will be unable to offset tire size by horsepower and you will see a decrease in MPG's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts