Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently lifting the front of my 06 DC with 5100's on the top notch and in the market for new tires. I'll be keeping the stock 06 TRD 16" wheels, so I know I'm limited on what tire I can run.

These are about the equivalent to a 33x10.5 right? Any other suggestions on tire sizes would be helpful. I just want to know my options.

Also if anyone has any recommendations on tires that would be awesome. I had BFG t/a's on my tacoma and loved them. Thinking about going that route again but not sure.

Tires I have in mind
BFG T/A
Wrangler SilentArmor
Cooper Discoverer s/t
Nitto Terra Grappler

Thanks again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
bfgs no way running them right now too soft for the extra weight the tundra carries i know only got about 30k out of this set check out goodyear wrangler authority a/t they also come in this size there also a little cheaper

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,533 Posts
I'm currently lifting the front of my 06 DC with 5100's on the top notch and in the market for new tires. I'll be keeping the stock 06 TRD 16" wheels, so I know I'm limited on what tire I can run.

These are about the equivalent to a 33x10.5 right? Any other suggestions on tire sizes would be helpful. I just want to know my options.

Also if anyone has any recommendations on tires that would be awesome. I had BFG t/a's on my tacoma and loved them. Thinking about going that route again but not sure.

Tires I have in mind
BFG T/A
Wrangler SilentArmor
Cooper Discoverer s/t
Nitto Terra Grappler

Thanks again.
Highly suggest the LT265/75R16 119Q (8-ply, D-load) Nitto Terra Grapplers. Awesome tire. Got mine for $146/ea.

I'd guess that the 255/85R16 will be somewhat difficult to find. I know Nitto does not make the Grappler in that size.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bfgs no way running them right now too soft for the extra weight the tundra carries i know only got about 30k out of this set check out goodyear wrangler authority a/t they also come in this size there also a little cheaper
Good point, never considered that.

That Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T is an aggressive tire for an all terrain. Looks like that's a Wal Mart specific tire? Anyone know if that's true? I wonder what tread life on that tire is.

255/85/16 is obviously an odd ball size and probably hard to find right? What is a more common size I should be looking for that's about that size?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the Cooper Discoverer in 255/85 R16. My lift is a 3" Toytec lift and have a very small rub on the frame at full lock. I would run them again if I decide to stay with the same size of tire.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Cooper Discoverer in 255/85 R16. My lift is a 3" Toytec lift and have a very small rub on the frame at full lock. I would run them again if I decide to stay with the same size of tire.
Any pics? I don't think I've seen a tundra with this size on it, just want an idea of how it looks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not the best picture, but it's all I have at this time. I'll take some one day when there isn't so much snow and ice.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have run 275/70R16 BFG A/Ts on my truck and got just under 50k out of them, but they are an odd size too and so don't have a 50k warranty on them. I just put new tires on and switched to 265/75R16 BFG A/Ts. I think the BFGs run great and last a long time... and I have never gotten too stuck in mud or sand or anything for that matter that I couldn't get out of with a little planning and careful driving.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
BFG has the 255 in a MT. A member Hugemoose has these on his truck and from what I have read he loves them. It is a skinny tall tire with a little more side wall than a 285. A 285 is another popular size to run and about the same size (height) as the 255, also there are alot more brand chocies. Good luck, and post some pics when you get some new tires!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just ordered 4 bfg km2's in 255/85/16. They should fit fine with little or no rub on the stock wheels with approximately 3 inches of lift in front. This is why I got them. You would probably need spacers or aftermarket wheels with less back spacing to run a 285. Not to mention the manufacturers recommend at least an 8 inch wide wheel with the 285's. Stocks are 7 inch wide. I will post pics as soon as I have them mounted. That might take a week though. It is very limited when you go with 255's but I wanted km2's. I got all 4 for $744.00 shipped. Not bad.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BFG has the 255 in a MT. A member Hugemoose has these on his truck and from what I have read he loves them. It is a skinny tall tire with a little more side wall than a 285. A 285 is another popular size to run and about the same size (height) as the 255, also there are alot more brand chocies. Good luck, and post some pics when you get some new tires!
Checked out Hugemoose's truck, those tires look sweet. I love that tall skinny look. Only problem I'm having is I want an all terrain tire, and looks like I'm really limited on tire selection in that size.

So I guess what's my next best option for tire size? 33 or close to it and width about 10.5 - 11.5.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Checked out Hugemoose's truck, those tires look sweet. I love that tall skinny look. Only problem I'm having is I want an all terrain tire, and looks like I'm really limited on tire selection in that size.

So I guess what's my next best option for tire size? 33 or close to it and width about 10.5 - 11.5.

They make Cooper Discoverer S/T in 255/85/16. Also there's a Delta National Commando A/T tire in same size. With little research I found that cooper also makes that tire as well. Not too many reviews on the A/T but a lot of people love the Discoverer S/T. As far as another size 33x10.5 has alot more choices. BFG A/T KO's are available in that size for $144 at tirerack. 33x10.5 would roughly be a half inch smaller in diameter compared to a 255/85/16. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have run 275/70R16 BFG A/Ts on my truck and got just under 50k out of them, but they are an odd size too and so don't have a 50k warranty on them. I just put new tires on and switched to 265/75R16 BFG A/Ts. I think the BFGs run great and last a long time... and I have never gotten too stuck in mud or sand or anything for that matter that I couldn't get out of with a little planning and careful driving.
How do the 265/75R16 BFG A/Ts ride? Those are a load E rating correct?

I guess I should've titled the thread different. My thought was I figured the P255/85 R16 would be my best choice for a tall tire on the stock rim, because it's not as wide as a 33x12.5 or that equivalent. I'm thinkin 265/75R16s, this is about a full 1in bigger than the 265/70s which came stock on my truck. Such a tough decision, I just want that happy medium. It fills up the wheel wells nicely but not too big to where I'm rubbing and rolling around a lot of weight.

I'll have to search around and see if I can find some pics of leveled out Double Cabs with 265/75R16s on the stockers and see out it looks.

Thanks again for the replies. It's been helpful.

·
Registered
219 Posts
How do the 265/75R16 BFG A/Ts ride? Those are a load E rating correct?

I guess I should've titled the thread different. My thought was I figured the P255/85 R16 would be my best choice for a tall tire on the stock rim, because it's not as wide as a 33x12.5 or that equivalent. I'm thinkin 265/75R16s, this is about a full 1in bigger than the 265/70s which came stock on my truck. Such a tough decision, I just want that happy medium. It fills up the wheel wells nicely but not too big to where I'm rubbing and rolling around a lot of weight.

I'll have to search around and see if I can find some pics of leveled out Double Cabs with 265/75R16s on the stockers and see out it looks.

Thanks again for the replies. It's been helpful.
my tires run great! I believe they are the E load tires... I'd have to check my truck. I'm also in the Off-Road club here at A&M and there are basically 2 schools of thought from the guys in the club. 1) err on the shorter side of tire height so you retain all of your wheel articulation off-road. 2) if you just want a tire to look cool and are not going off road... get the biggest thing you can (they look good but you are gonna rub or get stuck going over obstacles on the trail). There is another thread on here where a guy is basically asking the same question as you are now (minus he asked for tire size suggestions, actually I think for a double cab and there are some pics on that thread i think).

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Just some food for thought, but BFG generally makes very hard tires, so if you're only getting 30k miles from a set, check your tire pressure, balance and alignment. If you're rotating religiously, it can be hard to track down...on the other hand, I've found that with a good alignment and attention to tire pressure, rotation isn't a big deal with a 1st-gen! :D

Since only the front axle is "aligned" on these trucks, monitoring the tires for wear differences between front and rear may help you identify a poor alignment...but if you start from the specifications provided by DJ, you'll find little variation. I have been running the same set of 315/75/16 BFG AT/KO tires for about 50k miles now, still have 1/4" tread left, with no abnormal wear identified prior to installation of the long travel kit. I haven't been driving it long enough with the new parts to tell if the Ackerman error has been wearing the tires any differently between axles, or even if it's wearing at an appreciably different rate.

The point is, if your tires aren't lasting more than 30k miles, either you have extremely soft tires, or you need to check the truck's alignment and tire pressure.

-Sean

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was wrong, there are no pictures posted, but check out this thread for some more opinions. Sean (i.e. DevinSixtySeven) has a really great write-up in this thread too.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/184441-tundra-leveling-kit-users-opinions-needed/
haha, I totally read over his post where he mentions running a 265/75R16 for the best fit. Thanks for the link, forced me to read through it better.

I made the mistake of going too big on my tacoma. I looks tough but when loaded up with my dirt bike it rubbed like hell all over the place, when going riding. Plus the added rolling resistance sucked too. But it did look good.

Thanks again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I'm sold on 265/75R16. Looks like the best fit since I'm not lifting the back.

lexlawn's truck on here. Incase you're wondering the truck has 2.5" lift up front and 1.5" block in the rear.

Now I gotta decide which meats to put on it.

Thanks again guys, I know this question has probably been beat to death.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts