Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off... I have a 2002 Tundra Limited TRD Off Road 4wd.... all stock besides the k&n filter...

Okay, I am new here.. I've been reading many many other threads for a few months now on how to lift my truck and so on.. recently i took the advice of putting on the biggest size tire that will fit on stock tundra... i decided to purchase the General Grabber AT2 in 265 75-16 and wrap it on my stock 16x7, 5 spoke twisted star.... now i am having rubbing at full lock on the frame and also maybe hitting the upper control arm... my conclusion was to buy a set of new set of steel wheels with a different backspace that will help eliminate the issue... so now i am planning to buy a new set of 16x8 but not exactly sure on the back space... ive read many many many threads over and over.. and the answers i keep getting are: 3-5/8, 4, and 4.5.... so now i am lost on which backspacing to pick best for the tires which are 265 75... i hope i didnt ask the same question someone else did.. because i couldnt find any answers to my question while searching for about a week now... and yes i am planning to do bilstein 5100 in the near future.. but as of now i want to fix the rubbing issue... someone please help me decide on the correct backspace for my application....

thank you in advance....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and more info.. i wont be planning to run 285 in the future.. the 265 75 16 are already giving me headaches.. LOL

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
they shouldnt be giving you headaches. but since they are i would go with the 5100s first and them get it aligned properly to DJs specs (look up DJ alignment on the forum) and them see it you have any rubbing. there shouldnt be any rubbing after that and you wont need to spend money for new wheels.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes.. i did look at DJs alignment... but all the shops i find around my area will not modify their spec that is in the Hunter system... I dont know why but they all say it will void the warranty... so now i am really looking to getting a new set of black steel rims... which i am stuck with the backspace... any other suggestion?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
yes.. i did look at DJs alignment... but all the shops i find around my area will not modify their spec that is in the Hunter system... I dont know why but they all say it will void the warranty... so now i am really looking to getting a new set of black steel rims... which i am stuck with the backspace... any other suggestion?
are any of those shops dealerships? most private shops will have no problem with you giving them alignment numbers, and if it isnt aligned right you will have wear problems with the tires. when you lift IFS trucks it automatically increases the positive camber. that will cause wear on the outer edges of the tires and therefore making you buy new tire prematurely. also you want caster to be around 2.00 or higher to give it stability in the steering wheel. the toe is not affected by lifting and is impossible to screw up.

but as for backspacing you want to shoot for something less than 4 5/8", thats what the stock 16's have. something in the upper 3" all the way to 4" should take care of that rubbing either way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if im reading correct... any of the backspacing that i mentioned will be fine? so with the 3-5/8 theres a possibility i will rub my mud flap? so would 4.5 still leave me too close to the frame and upper ball joint? so will 4 or 4.25 be a good choice? thank you for responding... I just want reassurance of the backspace i am choosing...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
your welcome and there is a fine line between the rubbing and the backspacing. i would try for 4 but there is no guarantee because these trucks are finicky. some people can fit 265/75 stock and some people cant. all the trucks when they are built must have a tolerance margin in terms of how closely identical they are to each other. worst case scenario is that if you get the rubbing off the frame and UCA with that backspacing but you get rubbing on the flap you could just remove the flap. im going to be removing my mud flaps when i get my 285s. hope this is useful info and will help solve your rubbing issues.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
thats really weird they are rubbing, i ran the same setup but with goodyear duratracs before i leveled mine. no rubbing on my 265/75/16 d tracs and they have a nobbier side wall then the generals do.

you got any pics of what you ended up doing?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE!!!!

so i decided to buy some new wheels.. i ended up purchasing Pro Comp 7069 16x8 w/ 4in BS frm 4wheelspart... i was able to clear the frame.. so no more rubbing on the frame at full lock... however... it started to rub the rear mud flap... so what i did was i removed the rear mud flap... and hopefully when i do the top notch (2.5in) on the bilstein 5100 i ordered.. hopefully it will clear the rear mud flap... anyone have any insight on my prediction? By raising the front 2.5 and the rear with an aal.... will i be able to slap my rear mud flap back on? Please chime in as i will be attempting to do all this by myself...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats really weird they are rubbing, i ran the same setup but with goodyear duratracs before i leveled mine. no rubbing on my 265/75/16 d tracs and they have a nobbier side wall then the generals do.

you got any pics of what you ended up doing?
Yes! It is hella weird.... becuz i was reading for months before i decided to go with that size... and yet when i found out it was rubbing the frame and maybe the upper balljoint...i was like WTF! i shouldve just stick with stock size.. pics will be soon be up..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts