Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally almost finished. Got my 285/75/18 toyo mt's today and already love them. With the mudflaps off, there is no rubbing at all when going forward but it rubs on the body mount and front of the wheel well in reverse. And I mean rubbing as in I'll probably have to do 10 point turns backing out of parking spaces.... so it looks like I'll just have to go through things instead :p Here are some pics for anyone considering this tire.
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wheel Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Wheel specs? Also, what is the lift (inches).

Sorry if they are in your sig... I am on my phone and can't see signatures

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
390 Posts
those tires look awesome man! where'd you get the tires and wheels?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got the tires from tiresdirect.net for around $1400 shipped. A local place wanted 2k for it. The wheel specs are 18x9 +14 and the level is a 3/2.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks man... she looks good!

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
Sweet! I love the stance! I have the same tire (love Toyo M/T's!) and size, but went with the Old Man Emu 3/1 complete lift as my truck had 78,000 miles on the original shocks. I'm the second owner. I was able to trim the front inner fender liner and the front mud flaps to the point of no rubbing. Here's a link to my build if you care to have a look: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/suspension-and-axle/220064-my-build-thread-old-man-emu/#post1777297

Oh, have you had your VSC go off as a result of the lift? I find mine now goes off when taking freeway off-ramps that sweep around to the right. Annoying to say the least. Tried the zero point calibration and it hasn't helped in my case.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Cody! And nice write up herbicidal. I'm also bought my truck used with a little over 70k on it but because of my price limitations at the time I went with a simple level and no regrets as of yet. Tomorrow I'm going to copy your trim work haha. Did you have any problems with it rubbing on the body mount? Mine catches the edge of it in reverse and its pretty bad.

Nope no problems with the VSC turning off but I haven't taken any sharp right hand off ramps since I've gotten the tires. I'll let you know if it happens though.

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
Thanks! No problems with rubbing on the body mounts. The previous owner put on the rims so I don't know what the offset is. I intially cut the plastic pieces with a hacksaw, but discovered that metal snips were much easier. :D I would turn the wheels lock to lock and back in and out of my driveway marking the plastic with a black marker then trimming, re-mounting and repeating the process until I was golden. A little time consuming, but not difficult. Oh, it helps to have someone in the truck that you trust turning the steering wheel and going very slowly while you scope out where it is rubbing. Obviously be very careful not to get a body part or clothing caught on the tire. They are very grabby! Good luck with the trim job. :tu:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for anyone looking at this tire/rim/level combo, I'd suggest getting the 285/70/18 if you have close to a +14 offset. The 285/75's work but come extremely close to the body mount and easily rub on it if the coil is compressed at all

·
Registered
471 Posts
Looks really good. I have the 285/75R18 Toyo ATs and have been happy with them. I'll definitely get the MTs next time.

Nice job & thanks for the pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts