Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at various options to upgrade the suspension on my wife's 2011 Sequoia, but I keep running into paralysis analysis.

The goal is to slightly increase the height overall, remove the rear sag both when empty and improve it when towing, without making the ride too stiff.

So far I have looked at Dobinsons, Bilstein 5100's, OME's, Sumo's, and airbags, I just can't figure out which way to go (and the Bilstein's appear to be out of stock everywhere for the front).

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If your stock suspension is still in good shape, spacers would probably fit the bill. If you also frequently tow heavy, then add air bags. When stock shocks and struts are done, it'll be an easy transition to something like Bilsteins at all corners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your stock suspension is still in good shape, spacers would probably fit the bill. If you also frequently tow heavy, then add air bags. When stock shocks and struts are done, it'll be an easy transition to something like Bilsteins at all corners.
It currently has 140K miles on it, so it's probably time to replace the stocks shocks/struts. The rear spring is sagging a fair amount, was thinking it might not be a bad idea to replace it.

Do you think it's better to replace the rear springs and add air bags for towing, or leave the rear springs, add a spacer, and airbags for towing?

·
Registered
168 Posts
It currently has 140K miles on it, so it's probably time to replace the stocks shocks/struts. The rear spring is sagging a fair amount, was thinking it might not be a bad idea to replace it.

Do you think it's better to replace the rear springs and add air bags for towing, or leave the rear springs, add a spacer, and airbags for towing?
I swapped out shocks and struts at about 100k but kept the stock springs. My mistake was not pulling the spacers in front which now sits slightly higher than I'd like relative to the rear, but this is an easy fix. I don't need particularly strong off road performance, just some extra clearance to get to remote campsites, so spacers do the trick for me. I don't tow anymore, but do load the vehicle up with 5 of us, 2 dogs, 5 bikes, hitch rack, roof rack, and that's what I'd use the airbags for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I swapped out shocks and struts at about 100k but kept the stock springs. My mistake was not pulling the spacers in front which now sits slightly higher than I'd like relative to the rear, but this is an easy fix. I don't need particularly strong off road performance, just some extra clearance to get to remote campsites, so spacers do the trick for me. I don't tow anymore, but do load the vehicle up with 5 of us, 2 dogs, 5 bikes, hitch rack, roof rack, and that's what I'd use the airbags for.
Do your rear wheel have that funky sag where they're canted in at the top?

·
Registered
168 Posts
No, mine stand pretty straight up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts