Toyota Tundra Forums banner

When does your engine ticking or sound occur and where can it be heard?

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes - I know, Over 400 different post on engine ticking in this entire forum.

And it's been over 10 years since my last post. But today, I decided to post about a very well-known issue among our community; engine ticking on the driver side of the 5.7L 3UR FE motor AFTER engine warm up.

My objective for this post is to query how many among us here have this issue so I can make an attempt to formally inform Toyota Motor Corporation of this issue with hopes of them investigating and realizing that this problem is significant enough for them to release a TSB.

If interested, please respond with the following info and I will use this as basis to start measuring the number of us that are affected.

1. Model year
2. Mileage went ticking first occurred
3. Does ticking occur after engine warm up?
4. What you did to mitigate the problem, And did it solve it?
5. If you had any major engine work performed such as replacing timing chain tensioner, or replacing any valve train components, Did the engine ticking come back after awhile?

Here is my personal example:

1. 2007
2. 170,000
3. Yes, Some days are louder than others.
4. Used Moly 2000, changed grade oil from 0W-20 to 5W-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic. Ticking still present.
5. Had two different technicians analyze this issue. One from the dealership, and one from an independent dealer alternative shop. The dealership said it was normal. The independent alternative shop indicated that it might be coming from the valve train.

Please feel free to share your answers here, and if we have a significant number of similar responses, then this will provide justification for requesting a TSB. I also included a poll in this post. Please feel free to complete. Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,283 Posts
With 293,000 miles and counting, my '07 5.7 makes all sorts of noise. It's louder at cold start with temperatures that are below 60, and the injectors make a clatter all of the time. My Toyota dealer says it's normal, and it runs great. I will be going to a Toyota mechanic that has his own shop when the next oil & filter change is due... I want him to evaluate the overall health of the engine & transmission while he has it - not that I think there is anything wrong, I just want a second set of eyes & ears on it just in case.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine is a 2007, 5.7 CM with 99100 miles. I bought it new. About 6 months ago I noticed it was making the ticking noise after startup when it was warmed up. I took it to my mechanic, a certified Toyota mechanic, and of course it didn't make the noise. It happens after warm up and sporadically. I listened with a stethoscope and it's coming from the left side under the valve cover front. Sometimes it's a minimal ticking other times fairly loud. It runs fine. Once the engine revs up and gets going noise goes away and won't come back for days sometimes. Weird.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a 2007, 5.7 CM with 99100 miles. I bought it new. About 6 months ago I noticed it was making the ticking noise after startup when it was warmed up. I took it to my mechanic, a certified Toyota mechanic, and of course it didn't make the noise. It happens after warm up and sporadically. I listened with a stethoscope and it's coming from the left side under the valve cover front. Sometimes it's a minimal ticking other times fairly loud. It runs fine. Once the engine revs up and gets going noise goes away and won't come back for days sometimes. Weird.
Yeah, mine started off that way as well. It has become a little louder now but still inconsistent.

I thought about going in to the motor to "investigate" and replace the lifters and timing chain tensioner since most have reported that was the issue but in hindsight, if it is replaced with OEM parts that have not changed their design since the genesis of the 3UR-FE, the problem may come back eventually. That's why I wanted to wait out the possibility of a TSB, because if it is due to a failing or defective part, more than likely, Toyota may fess up to it and take responsibility by means of a recall and make the repairs at no cost to the consumer. For now, I was advised by my local Toyota certified mechanic (not dealership) that what he hears isn't going to get any worse or cause a catastrophic failure.

One other thought is since some Tundra owners are experiencing this, if it can be traced to a manufacturing plant. Let's say for example, most reported engine ticking incidents were from trucks built in San Antonio... If the engines are manufactured in more than one location, would it be prudent to find out where that plant received its parts, if different from the Indiana plant? Or even somewhere else? Something to ponder about...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With 293,000 miles and counting, my '07 5.7 makes all sorts of noise. It's louder at cold start with temperatures that are below 60, and the injectors make a clatter all of the time. My Toyota dealer says it's normal, and it runs great. I will be going to a Toyota mechanic that has his own shop when the next oil & filter change is due... I want him to evaluate the overall health of the engine & transmission while he has it - not that I think there is anything wrong, I just want a second set of eyes & ears on it just in case.

Thanks for the insight! Let us know how that inspection goes! (y):cool:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Exhaust Manifold Leak ... my mechanic won't touch it - impossible to get to a bolt by the motor mount (impossible = way too hard)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts