Toyota Tundra Forums banner

2nd gen bed step on a 1st gen Tundra (with pics).

8K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Herbicidal 
#1 ·
A buddy of mine with a 2007 CM showed me his new step earlier this year. He calls it his 'old man' step, ha! This thing is cool! It bolted right up to two existing bolts at the end of the frame and extends down below the rear bumper. It's quite stout and is spring loaded to retract easily. Looks like an Amp bedstep, but it's not.

I started wondering if it would work on my 2001 Tundra. He unbolted it and we test fit it on my truck. I have a trailer hitch and it looked like I could drill two holes into the side support plate and it would work! Well I kind of forgot about it and then my birthday came around a couple of weeks ago and lo' and behold I received a step from my wife! This past weekend I finally made some time to try and install it. I held it up and decided drilling through the support plate would actually have it sit lower than I wanted. Then I noticed that just above the hitch plate was a location where the rear bumper was bolted to the end of the frame. There are 3 bolts, I removed the first two and son of a gun the mounting bracket fit perfectly in that space! In fact, I was able to reuse the first bolt. The second bolt was too low so I marked and drilled a new hole working my way up to a 1/2" hole. Then I bought a new grade 8 bolt and nut and bolted it all together. The fit and placement is almost perfect! The step is a little bit higher than ideal and when the step is retracted it does touch the underside of the bumper. I put a round rubber adhesive pad where they touch and no problem.

I've used it a couple of times and it sure does make getting in and out of the bed so much easier. I just push down on the step with my toe, then step on the step and up onto the tailgate, easy as pie. I'm very happy with this mod. :tu: Could I be the first one to do this? :D

Here's some pics: 2nd gen bed step on a 1st gen Tundra. - Photo Gallery :beavbutt:

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good Herb. How much does it cost and where would I get one?

#3 ·
I like the step idea, its better than stepping on the tire to get in the truck or on the tail gate. But I have to say, do you get rug burns working on your truck? with the carpeted garage and all...just a thought. lol

#4 ·
Looks good Herb. How much does it cost and where would I get one?
Thanks! I think the cost is around $180, but I'm not sure on that, it was a b-day present after all. I did some searching around but I couldn't find it on-line. I'm really not sure what to call it. It is a Toyota part so our good friend Victor would be the man! :D I know the price is kind of high, but this thing is solid and it's a rugged, quality piece.

I like the step idea, its better than stepping on the tire to get in the truck or on the tail gate. But I have to say, do you get rug burns working on your truck? with the carpeted garage and all...just a thought. lol
Rug burns - haha! That's just something I'm willing to risk! Beats the hel* out of laying on the concrete. :p I've layed down carpet in my garage for the last 10 years and love it! I keep an old vacuum cleaner just for the garage.

#5 ·
Thats pretty sweet, is it just bolted with the 2 bolts on the 1 end or is attached on the other end also and is it a rugged plastic or metal?

Andrew

#6 ·
Thats pretty sweet, is it just bolted with the 2 bolts on the 1 end or is attached on the other end also and is it a rugged plastic or metal?

Andrew
Thanks! Yes, just the 2 bolts that go through the frame. It is a combination of metal (mounting bracket and a couple of other parts) and like a high impact composite ABS plastic. As mentioned before, this guy is stout!

#8 ·
I did some searching around but I couldn't find it on-line. I'm really not sure what to call it. It is a Toyota part so our good friend Victor would be the man! :D I know the price is kind of high, but this thing is solid and it's a rugged, quality piece.
That looks like a nifty accessory. :tu: I'm pretty new here, so who the heck is Victor? I assume he is a TSer and sells parts? thx

#9 ·
Hey my birthay was last week........ anybody........body.........
That's a very cool mod.Is that the factory hich or aftermarket one .? i saw one in ebay for 230$ , is a little pricey for me.
I wait till prices go down.
Thanks! Happy belated b-day! It's an aftermarket hitch, but I was able to bolt the step to the bolts that hold the rear bumper on. Originally I was going to drill into the side support plate for the hitch.

That looks like a nifty accessory. :tu: I'm pretty new here, so who the heck is Victor? I assume he is a TSer and sells parts? thx
He is a TSer, but on the mechanic side of the house. I'll e-mail my buddy (works for Toyota in Sacramento, CA) and see if I can get a part number. Or MSR1011 may chime back in if he gets in touch with Victor first. He and Victor are good friends.

#10 ·
I just added one more picture to my photo gallery with the tailgate down to show the perspective of ground, to step, to tailgate. It's a little bit of a reach for a shorter person since I have the RCD lift and 35" tires, but I'm 6'1", so it's just right for me. :clown:

#11 ·
If you could get a part number that would be great, i think it is well worth about $200 and i would even pay about $300 to $400 for something like that. i'm a wee bit chubby and when i have my atv in the back and need to have the tailgate down i feel like an old woman trying to get in the back of my truck and i just 1" lift in the back and 33". Thanks for sharing this mod.

Andrew

#12 ·
Happy to share the mod with my fellow Tundra fanatics. ;) Here's the number: PT392-34090. Do a Google search and it jumps right up! For a 1st gen Tundra, in the later years, you may want to look up underneath and see if the bolts that I used are still in the same location on the frame that support the rear bumper bracket. Good luck and I hope some other's will try this mod. :tu:

#13 ·
I always enjoy looking at the pics of your truck. When its slow at work I will jump on to your page and check out your pics. Always a good looking truck!!

#14 ·
I always enjoy looking at the pics of your truck. When its slow at work I will jump on to your page and check out your pics. Always a good looking truck!!
Thanks for the compliment my brutha! :roll:

#15 ·
For those interested: This step is made by AMP Research. It is sold by Toyota as an official Tundra accessory (cheap if you get it when spec'ing out your truck with Mr Dealer), but there are alternative sources. I ordered mine last week through JC Whitney for $218 and received it on day 5 (today!). Like Herbicidal has stated, this is a very well engineered & manufactured product, and one of the most functional add-ons you will come across.
If you have a 19 & 17mm socket, a 10 inch or so extension, and a 3/16 inch allen wrench, you will have this installed on a 07-on Tundra inside of 20 minutes.

#16 ·
It's been awhile so I thought I float this one back to the top in case anyone else is interested in this mod. :tu:

#18 ·
Excellent! I'm glad to see it all came together for you! Looks great. :tu: I hope you get as much use out of it as I do. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.