Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the bilstein 5100 adjustable up to 2.5" would work on a 2096 DC? Curious as I would really like to level/lift my truck and not sure how much I would get out of the 5100's for 1st gen with the 2" lift they can provide for the 1st gens except the DC.

Trying to eliminate having to put the 1st gen 5100's on the top perch, so I can retain some ride quality. So t is what I am asking....brainstorming....wondering. Thinking if the 2nd gen shocks fit I would not have to put the shocks on the top perch to gain a nice lift in the front and could match up nice with an AAL for the rear.

Anyone ever done this, or know what I am asking?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
The front suspension components (upper mount, etc) are completely different. That's why they call for different shocks/struts. Your only option is a dedicated coilover like the Kings, Icons, etc. Even then, you'll need uniball UCAs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The front suspension components (upper mount, etc) are completely different. That's why they call for different shocks/struts. Your only option is a dedicated coilover like the Kings, Icons, etc. Even then, you'll need uniball UCAs.
yeah that is what I was afraid that they wouldn't, and I got to looking at the dimensions of the 2 different shocks and they are quite a bit longer than the 1st gens, and would cause some issues. I know you have been running your 5100's for awhile now, I don't remember what perch you have them set on.... but you do not have any aftermarket UCA's yet do you? How would you rate the ride of the 5100's? I spend a fair amount of the day in my truck, and really don't want to loose too much ride quality, actually looking to improve over my stock TRD shocks with 90,000 on them now. Wonder if adding UCA's down the road would help increase the ride quaility if I were to get the 5100's on?

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
yeah that is what I was afraid that they wouldn't, and I got to looking at the dimensions of the 2 different shocks and they are quite a bit longer than the 1st gens, and would cause some issues. I know you have been running your 5100's for awhile now, I don't remember what perch you have them set on.... but you do not have any aftermarket UCA's yet do you? How would you rate the ride of the 5100's? I spend a fair amount of the day in my truck, and really don't want to loose too much ride quality, actually looking to improve over my stock TRD shocks with 90,000 on them now. Wonder if adding UCA's down the road would help increase the ride quaility if I were to get the 5100's on?
It depends on what your definition of "ride quality" is. I have my front 5100s set at the top notch and love the ride. It feels exactly like it should -- like a truck. It absorbs the bumps, rebounds perfectly, and has little to no body roll.

Uniball UCAs won't change ride quality (harsher, softer) per se. What they will do is allow a greater range of suspension articulation (compression, droop) before components start hitting each other. If I had the $550 + labor available, I'd get the Camburg UCAs. I, however, have a 4 year old, so...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on what your definition of "ride quality" is. I have my front 5100s set at the top notch and love the ride. It feels exactly like it should -- like a truck. It absorbs the bumps, rebounds perfectly, and has little to no body roll.

Uniball UCAs won't change ride quality (harsher, softer) per se. What they will do is allow a greater range of suspension articulation (compression, droop) before components start hitting each other. If I had the $550 + labor available, I'd get the Camburg UCAs. I, however, have a 4 year old, so...
Totally undestand the $$ required i have a 3.5 year old daughter. That is my issue, I want to lift/level my truck a DC, and not lose any ride over what i have now, and thinking I would for sure need to be on the highest perch to gain the most lift.... yeah i know how obvious that sounds..and I have read from many that on the highest setting firms up the ride. Not sure how that would be to what i have, but i really hate the chop you get on the highway when the joint cuts on the concrete get that bounce going. Would adding a aftermarket spring help with my goal?

Also I have read, and I don't recall seeing this before but the rear Bilstein monotube's will gain up to a 1" lift on the rear, did you find that to be true?

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
Would adding an aftermarket spring help with my goal?
It might. Contact Kartek Offroad and see what they might recommend. They carry Eibach and a few other aftermarket coils and know their stuff.

Also I have read, and I don't recall seeing this before but the rear Bilstein monotube's will gain up to a 1" lift on the rear, did you find that to be true?
The shocks themselves will not provide lift. Their designed length, compression and rebound damping will allow them to be used from stock height up to 1.5" (max) lift with either a block or AAL.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much stiffer did your ride get after the new shocks, or would the best way to describe be.... did your ride get more firm after the new shocks?

·
Premium Member
820 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love these.

The ride is firmer, but it is not harsher by any means. The shocks do a much better job of absorbing bumps and many will say the ride is smoother. If you have 90k on the original Bilsteins, you will be blown away with the performance and feel of the 5100 shock.

Check this thread
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/218618-what-will-5100s-do-for-ride/

Then this one
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...ls/218055-bilstien-5100-price-cannot-be-beat/
I see both of those are geared towards to the 2nd gen trucks. How much lift would i be able to get with the 5100's on a 4x4 DC 1st gen?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Look into the Old Man Emu springs. You can use those spring with the 5100s on the lowest setting and still get 3" of lift. This is my plan for next summer to get rid of my spacer lift. I really wish I had found this site before putting in my spacer lift. Lots of good info here if you just invest some time to read through the posts.

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
Look into the Old Man Emu springs. You can use those spring with the 5100s on the lowest setting and still get 3" of lift. This is my plan for next summer to get rid of my spacer lift. I really wish I had found this site before putting in my spacer lift. Lots of good info here if you just invest some time to read through the posts.
Be aware that you cannot run the stock UCAs/balljoints at 3" of lift. This is outside the allowable range of the suspension geometries. It's suggested to run uniball UCAs at any lift above 2.0"; above 2.5" and it's pretty much mandatory. So consider that when you're budgeting for suspension lift components.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts