Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has changed there stock oem halogen bulbs with brighter bulbs, with philps bulbs, silverstar etc. Reason is that my headlights were set to high and on coming traffic were always flashing me. So what I want to do is just replace the high beam bulbs which are 9005 series bulbs with a bighter, white light any suggestions? I have heard that silverstar dont last as long as oem bulbs, I have run them in my past vechicle and only last about a year or so. As well has anybody changed there low beams as well, if so with which bulb?

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
By no means am I trying to be rude, but if people are flashing you, how is changing your lights out to be brighter going to fix the problem..? Or are you trying to just make them more mad.. ;)

I dont really know a whole lot about different bulbs, but in my other car I had good luck with Silverstars so long as you dont touch the bulb itself with your fingers. I know Id probably get flamed for this, but a lot of people have put HID bulbs/ballists in their truck (I know its not a true HID setup AND its most likely supposed to be for off road use..) and they are getting better lighting from it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the headlights adjusted and just wanting to get a better bulb for the highbeam, just want a little more light out of the highbeam

·
Registered
179 Posts
I put an 8000k hid in the low high and fog lights. with just the low and fogs on, it's like i'm driving in daylight at night. for the low beam, it's about a 20 min install, and for the fogs about 30-35 min. its a big difference and i never get high beamed from oncoming. I love hids compared to factory. and i put them in all of my cars and bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I changed my stock lowbeams with the modified 55w high beam bulbs and then adjusted them down. That worked pretty well. I have since installed 35w HID's in the low and fogs and 55wHID's in the highs. The color range is 5000k Super White. The difference is PHENOMIMAL and for $40 bucks a kit, I think it was a very good $120 investment!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I put an 8000k hid in the low high and fog lights. with just the low and fogs on, it's like i'm driving in daylight at night. for the low beam, it's about a 20 min install, and for the fogs about 30-35 min. its a big difference and i never get high beamed from oncoming. I love hids compared to factory. and i put them in all of my cars and bikes.
Do you have pics of where you installed your ballasts? I found the drivers side to be quite cramped!

·
Registered
179 Posts
i just strapped the ballasts anywhere they fit. i have slim ballasts almost the size of a credit card and about 1/2 thick, the best part about the hid kits is that they are plug and play. very simple to install yourself. but sorry no pics at the moment

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
i just strapped the ballasts anywhere they fit. i have slim ballasts almost the size of a credit card and about 1/2 thick, the best part about the hid kits is that they are plug and play. very simple to install yourself. but sorry no pics at the moment
I have the standard ballasts and used double sided tape. That works well. The D/S hood gas lift got in the way a bit. I guess Ill remove the battery to install that highbeam ballast to the fender, then reinstall the battery. :becky:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I changed my stock lowbeams with the modified 55w high beam bulbs and then adjusted them down. That worked pretty well. I have since installed 35w HID's in the low and fogs and 55wHID's in the highs. The color range is 5000k Super White. The difference is PHENOMIMAL and for $40 bucks a kit, I think it was a very good $120 investment!
Where did you get yours for $40 a kit? I've been searching and researching but haven't found anything that cheap! I'm sorry if its posted somewhere already, but I've looked for a couple days. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I have the standard ballasts and used double sided tape. That works well. The D/S hood gas lift got in the way a bit. I guess Ill remove the battery to install that highbeam ballast to the fender, then reinstall the battery. :becky:
Not that I am encouraging the use of plug and play HIDs or would ever use them, however a great place to mount the ballast on the driver side is on the side of the battery, closest to the fender. On my passenger side I have it mounted to the fender.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I was wondering if anybody has changed there stock oem halogen bulbs with brighter bulbs, with philps bulbs, silverstar etc. Reason is that my headlights were set to high and on coming traffic were always flashing me. So what I want to do is just replace the high beam bulbs which are 9005 series bulbs with a bighter, white light any suggestions? I have heard that silverstar dont last as long as oem bulbs, I have run them in my past vechicle and only last about a year or so. As well has anybody changed there low beams as well, if so with which bulb?
Don't do it!! Changing bulbs will void your warranty :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:behindsofa:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Where did you get yours for $40 a kit? I've been searching and researching but haven't found anything that cheap! I'm sorry if its posted somewhere already, but I've looked for a couple days. Thanks!
same place i got mine. (actually same seller too....i referred him haha).

ebay.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I just ordered some from DDM Tuning - HID Kits, DEPO Lights, BMW Bumpers & Lighting - Cheap, and has a lifetime warranty.
Thats the place. I talked to a guy named "Michael" who was in Bejing. He was really helpful. Go to the website, click on the contact us link and dial the US number. Ask for Michael...lol...he barely speaks english!
OOOOpssssssss here is the link. Different place, same product!
http://www.mydepots.com/?zenid=2h0p5l87m5jjsv9c8cqgu8sap28cd2st

1 - 14 of 14 Posts