Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just picked up a 2008 Sequoia Platinum and the DVD system in the back doesn't appear to work. Searching online and in other forums it looks like the OEM unit has its fair share of problems. We found that the remote was not in the vehicle so the dealer currently has that on order. Looking in the manual, it appears as though the DVD player should accept a DVD or at least light up to show that it's got power even without the remote.

I checked the manual for fuse listings and it appears that the audio system, rear view monitor, navigation system, and DVD are on the same circuit. I didn't look at the fuse but I'm assuming that none of those would work if it was burnt out. The light on the right side (passenger side) of the DVD console is out. This could simply be a burnt out bulb. But that may also lead somebody to a solution.

Is there any common issue with these? Is it likely to be repaired if I were to dismantle the housing? There's a video on YT that shows the 1st-gen removal. Not sure if it's the same setup for the 2nd-gen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I got the housing removed and the power cable wasn't connected. After plugging it in the unit does receive power. I can use the remote to switch the input to VIDEO but it won't go over to DVD. Seems the issue now is inserting the DVD. The unit doesn't want to take it in. I can push the DVD to a point at which it's almost unreachable in the disc bay. I think the motor for the DVD player may be burned out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Sequoia is doing the same thing with the dvd player. If you find a good replacement or a video of how to repair please post so I can figure mine out. I've been thinking about just doing the headrest dvd players instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Sequoia is doing the same thing with the dvd player. If you find a good replacement or a video of how to repair please post so I can figure mine out. I've been thinking about just doing the headrest dvd players instead.
Another update. I removed the face plate and checked the connections. Reconnected everything and powered it up. It made this horrible clicking noise so I disconnected it. Reconnected it and it didn’t make the noise but it also wouldn’t accept a DVD. Disconnected, reconnected, terrible noise. Fed it a DVD and it ate it. Now I have a stuck DVD. Yay.

Dealer is going to look at it this weekend. If they can’t repair it then I’m going to have to take it to a place that specializes in DVD and nav repair out here in Van Nuys, CA. They quoted me $250-$350 for the repair.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It would be nice to find a real nice plug and play unit for that price. Im going to check youtube for a repair video. Ill post if i find anything

1 - 5 of 5 Posts