Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not even sure where this thread should be located.

Today I started driving my second vehicle, its the good mileage, keep the miles on the Tundra down, vehicle.

Its a 4 cylinder Cavalier, and God do I hate it.

Down low, no power, uncomfortable seats, no bed out back for materials, no rack up top for a ladder.

However, it goes forever on a few dollars of fuel. I threw 20 bucks in, thinking that should get me to the next gas station. After two hours of driving the needle had barely moved. I think I burned about $5.00.

Just starting the Tundra burns that amount.

So, I figure I'll just fix a little rust on the Cav here and there, take care of the little repairs as they appear and be happy....or at least content.

Anybody else have a good news story on their fuel miser?

Do you think you could ever toss the Tundra and keep the miser?

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
Gotta have a truck. Can't put big, dead animals in the back of a Corolla, can't pull a trailer with a Corolla, and can't drive across creeks and fields of snow and mud in a Corolla. But a Corolla makes a fine second vehicle.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotta have a truck. Can't put big, dead animals in the back of a Corolla, can't pull a trailer with a Corolla, and can't drive across creeks and fields of snow and mud in a Corolla. But a Corolla makes a fine second vehicle.
I hear you, I work in construction, and just showing up in a car is enough to get you slapped around (verbally at least).

I usually become quite attached to my vehicles, I think this will be the exception.

Cavaliers are really crap.

If it was a Honda or a VW, that would be different.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tundra is my daily and it will remain that way for a long time! Eats the same fuel as my old DD, 1983 280ZX. Of course it had some leaky injectors. My weekend ride is an rx-7 which averaged 15 mpg before the engine went. It will be worse when I am done with it. Lucky I have the tundra to pull it when it breaks again!

·
Registered
225 Posts
My first car was a 1983 chevy S-10 that I loved. Got decent gas mileage. Then on to a 1988 Suzuki Samurai that drove where big trucks wouldn't dare to and took $7.50 to fill up once every two weeks. Then three consecutive Honda Civics. Then a 1999 Nissan Maxima that got about 20mpg on 93oct with all the performance mods I did to it. My Tundra gets almost as good gas mileage as the Maxima did, while offering better utility and safety.

Point of story, when I got into a 3 car collision 9 months ago because some xanax'ed out chick in traffic was "looking for a road" that was 5 miles away while deadlocked in 5PM traffic and slammed into the idling Tundra behind me at 50mph, sending the Tundra into my bumper and trunk, guess who's car and body took the brunt??? Yeah, mine. I'm still going through therapy and have headaches and neck problems. And my car's rear end was mush. Wasn't the same afterwards, a car never is after a collision that crosses a certain threshold.

The guy behind me in the Tundra.... There was only damage to his rear bumper, exhaust pipe, and small dents in his front bumper where he pummeled my car. He felt fine and had no physical issues.

The lady driver's car was totaled, we all knew it right away. She was in a lot of pain too. So was and am I. I drive my Tundra because it is about one of the most reliable trucks on the planet with great safety ratings and bearable gas mileage. I think my and my family's safety and well being is worth a lot more than the $1,000 - $1,800 savings I'd get from driving a death trap civic hatchback or mazda miata in big city.

Yes, it may be a gas guzzler... But why do you drive yours??? I know why I do.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My 2nd car is an '04 Honda Civic 4 sdn. I leased it for work in '04 for $189 a month. I recieve 48.5 cents a mile for work travel. I put on approx 550 miles a month for work. I average about $260-275 a month reimbursment. Pays for the car and most of the gas. I take the Tundra to work about once a week and drive it for pleasure and hauling stuff.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Enjoy driving my v-6 Honda Accord at 28 MPGs rather than the Tundra which rides more like my Humvee. Tundra rides good on the HWY and I see 20 MPGs with it there. I am not sure about the fascination with trucks as daily drivers unless you are working them.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
I started to comment on farmers driving a car, but thought better of it. Then Frankencap came into mind

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use my Land Cruiser as a second car and among other things it makes me grateful for the better M.P.G. I get in the Tundra!:D

I also know that in a collision the Land Cruiser is likely to be still drivable after saving my butt.

I also use a Honda Odyssey which gets better mileage than the Tundra and is a lot easier to work out of but I do get harrassed on construction sites routinely.

I just don't give a crap.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I've got a 2002 Honda Civic 5 speed and I love it. Zippy little car that gets 34-38 mpg all the time.
I was going to buy a Toyota Prius, and they wanted $28k out the door. I went to Honda and bought the Civic for $14500 out the door. My buddy has a Prius and he averages 45mpg and I was impressed with the car but not enough to shell out another $13k. I like to be green but not enough to part with all my green.

·
Registered
346 Posts
for my second i have my 3.5L V6 07 camry and i love that car:D it gets 33mpg @ 80mph according to my scanguage ll on the hwy and will roast the tires completely through 1st and sometimes part of 2nd gear :devil: and with the HID's i installed i love it even more all but the price

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got a 1998 LeSabre being used as my DD, gets 22mpg with it's 3.8 Liter v6 in the city. I think that's pretty good for a vehicle of it's size. Very comfortable and I feel relatively safe, I'm not a little car fan.
My daughter's friend was getting in the car one day and I heard her tell my daughter "My nana has a car just like this". So it is a nanamobile but I like it

·
Registered
803 Posts
i had a 96 camry 4 banger that i just sold that used as my daily driver, did about 60 miles a day with it. started to get way to expensive to drive the tundra that amount. now that i moved i live 3 miles from work so i can drive teh tundy. but i miss havin teh camry for somehting to drive when iam not in teh mood for the $80 fill ups. lookin to now get a lill truck.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I started to comment on farmers driving a car, but thought better of it. Then Frankencap came into mind
You just wait and see.

I was looking at the weak suspension in the Cav and started thinking about modding the suspension a little. Just so it can take some weight.

I'm sure some sort of roof rack/carrier will be the first thing I add.

I wonder what kind of lift I can get. lol

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
You just wait and see.

I was looking at the weak suspension in the Cav and started thinking about modding the suspension a little. Just so it can take some weight.

Do like we did in the old days on tow trucks just block the sucker. The thing will sit level no matter what ya put on top. Course the tires might have a say in things.
Then ya can take that farmers daughter with ya with stuff running down her front!:)

·
LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!
1,267 Posts
My trucks are my daily drivers. Only when I have to take one of my vehicles in for extended "repairs" do I have to drive a rental or my Mom's car, a 1998 Camry. It gets about 34-36MPG with its four cylinder engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My other vehicle is a 06 Honda Element and I really like it, it is not a truck and I love trucks!!! but that little car rocks it's allwheel drive and gets good MPG. Makes driving the Tundra on weekends really fun!!

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
You just wait and see.

There are lots of Cav forums out there. You might have a whole new career as Cav_Hick. ;)

We drive a 4 cyl. Matrix on long trips for the approx. 28 MPG it gets, but it's great to have a truck for hauling stuff. I wouldn't be without one.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are lots of Cav forums out there. You might have a whole new career as Cav_Hick. ;)

We drive a 4 cyl. Matrix on long trips for the approx. 28 MPG it gets, but it's great to have a truck for hauling stuff. I wouldn't be without one.
I've always either had a truck or there's one in the family, and I can't imagine being without one.

I suppose I could tow a trailer behind a car, but that somehow seems wrong. lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts