Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody adjusted the pv on their 2wd to increase the brake pressure to their rear wheels and if so did it help stop the truck better? I know my rear shoes are in correct adjustment but it still doesn't feel like the rear is doing its part in slowing the truck down. I'm considering taking my drums to a local shop and having them slotted to expel brake dust and keep the inside of the drums cleaner. When I took mine off the other day the brake dust was like silt in the bottom of the drum and that can't be good for friction when trying to stop.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just crawled under my truck and measured the distance per the manual and my valve rod was way out of spec so I adjusted it to what the book calls for. Took almost 5 turns of the nut and the shop manual says each turn is 11psi so my rears were way under pressured. I'll give it a drive later and see how much of a difference it made.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took her out for a spin to get dinner and the pedal feel is better and the brakes feel more solid now. The front isn't nose diving like it was before since the rears are now pulling their weight. You guys should really check yours. The book calls for 4.72" from center bolt to center bolt on the adjusting rod. The factory set mine to less than 4" so I had to move it a bit. I got my russell stainless brake lines today so hopefull I'll get them on soon and firm the pedal up a bit more.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
you'll be able to tell a slight difference in pedal feel with your new ss lines. i liked the way mine felt after installing the ss lines all around. to me installing ss brake lines is one of those mods that i notice the improvement on right off, but it is such a subtle difference that i got used to it quickly. not like a suspension mod where you can keep wowing yourself with each new curve you go around. still a great mod that should last the life of your truck though. let us know how you like em.

i'm glad you mentioned to check the pv for adjustment. i lowered mine 2" in the rear about a month ago and thought i could tell a difference in the rear braking hookup. slight if any difference and my be my imagination. not experiencing the nose diving you described. i'll have to measure and see what the factory set mine at now that you have supplied the proper adjustment numbers. thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts