Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 2WD Tundra and I really want a 4WD but I was wondering if I'm better of just trading it in for a 4WD Tundra. I really like everything about my Tundra except it is not 4WD. I know it is possible but is it worth the effort doing the conversion. If I were to do this conversion I would try to get most if not all the parts from a scrap Tundra at a junk yard or something. Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I saw an episode on TRUCKS! where someone asked stacey what it would take to do a 4x4 conversion....

You'd be better off trading it in for a truck with 4wd.

·
Registered
90 Posts
there's also the sas route...but it's a little costly. Look around, some other members have solid from axles on their trucks now. It would probably be easier than going for factory 4x4, if not more expensive.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
you would need to get the a.d.d. system from a junked tundra, a front diff, t-case, front driveshaft, rear midshaft, and i think different hubs. kinda a lotta parts. easier to buy new, unless you plan on doing something unusual like SAS.

-sean

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anybody know any good shops that could do the SAS in Southern California?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone actually done this? I found a guy with a couple of junked tundra 4x4s and I have seriously considered this. I recently moved to Nor Cal from So Cal and 4x4 makes more sense up here than it did in San Diego.

DevinSixtySeven you mentioned an "a.d.d." what is that? I think you are right as far as the parts needed would be the:

1. Front Diff
2. Xfer case
3. Front drive shaft
4. Rear Mid shaft (is there one?)
5. Hubs

If anyone knows of any other parts needed or has done this your input would be appreciated.

Of course I'd love to go for a Solid Axle up front and that may be an option but for now I found this guy and the price is right.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
MikeT said:
I tried PMing and Emailing you via your profile and it states you have chosen not to receive PM's or emails. I got your PM. Email me at [email protected] and we can meet up sometime. I work on Concord Ave. across the street from Sam's club and Sportmart.

Sorry to hijack the thread! Back to the conversion... :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just add a LSD or locker. It's as close to 4wd as you can get without getting it and it's not too expensive. :p

·
Registered
367 Posts
Easy 4x4 Conversion

01ToyTun said:
I have an 01 2WD Tundra and I really want a 4WD but I was wondering if I'm better of just trading it in for a 4WD Tundra. I really like everything about my Tundra except it is not 4WD. I know it is possible but is it worth the effort doing the conversion. If I were to do this conversion I would try to get most if not all the parts from a scrap Tundra at a junk yard or something. Thanks!
A conversion from 4x2 to 4x4 is actually very, very simple:

A) Jack up radiator cap on 4x2 truck.
B) Drive new 4x4 truck under it!!

:)

·
Registered
971 Posts
I can't speak about converting a Tundra but a friend of mine converted a Chevy truck to 4x4 and said he would never do it again. A lot of work and headaches and for what it would cost you, your better off selling your truck and getting a 4x4 IMO. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called Demello and I talked to them about converting my truck into 4wd and using a solid axle would cost me at about 7-10 grand! :eek: That sounds good to me but I better start saving! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
542 Posts
yeah...that would be sweet. and think you wouldn't have to worry about trying to sell/trade your truck.

How tall did Demello say they would go for 7-10g's? Would it be a leafspring style job?

just curious...If I keep my truck forever...and get another one. I may dick around with it on the side. I've already put to much in it to get anything for it if I'd try to sell it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
converting a chevy to 4wd is not even comparable to the tundra. the front suspension on a 4wd tundra is pretty much identicle to a 2wd unit. on a chevy, NOTHING is the same. they have different arms, spring types(torsion bars vs. coils), different frame crossmembers, steering setup is different.

anyways, on the tundra it should be do-able because everything on the 2wd is similar to the 4x4 truck, should bolt in, maybe having to add some tabs and mounting brackets here and there.

you could always add an RCD lift at the time of install and use their brackets to mount the diff :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At Demello they said 7-10 grand for:a complete Dana 44 axle, 5100 shocks, front Deaver leaf springs, stock 4wd components, misc parts and labor.

·
Registered
190 Posts
2002 TUNDRA Drive Shaft, Front N/A $190.00
2003 TUNDRA Transfer Case Assembly N/A $1,350.00
2003 TUNDRA Transmission/Transaxle Assembly N/A $0.00
Total Price: $1,540.00

Found this junk on nix99.com
-Mack

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Mack4 said:
2002 TUNDRA Drive Shaft, Front N/A $190.00
2003 TUNDRA Transfer Case Assembly N/A $1,350.00
2003 TUNDRA Transmission/Transaxle Assembly N/A $0.00
Total Price: $1,540.00

Found this junk on nix99.com
-Mack
A 4x4 transmission would be needed as the 2x4 and 4x4 have different internals, 2x4 uses A340E and the 4x4 uses A340F. They both share the 3040LE transmission case. Also, if one were to change the internals, they would still need to get a transfer case adapter which is about $450 from the dealer. Don't forget about the wire harnesses.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts