Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
the other perk to adding 4x4 to a 2wd truck is insurance. I know I couldn't afford a 4x4 with my driving record but if I added it after the fact the money you'll save on insurance could end up paying for all the parts/labor a few years down the road...something to consider

·
Registered
238 Posts
So is it feasible to convert? I was thinking about it but need more info.

·
Registered
542 Posts
synystergates said:
So is it feasible to convert? I was thinking about it but need more info.
What would you be using your truck for? since it's fairly brandnew....i'd say just buy a beater jeep/yota and take it and tow it to the trail using the tundra...:devil: :tu:
this is just the conclusion i came to after doing some research....

·
Registered
18 Posts
so lets say we bundled up 10k for this conversion, what kind of time are we talking?
A week? a month? I know this type of stuff takes loads of time.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
so lets say we bundled up 10k for this conversion, what kind of time are we talking?
A week? a month? I know this type of stuff takes loads of time.
a weekend. well, depends what you are going for

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am considering the same conversion if my truck does not sell soon. Can anyone tell me if the transfer case will bolt up to the 2wd transmission or if I need to swap the transmission also. I really do not want to have to change the transmission.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
hey guys i am swapping a 5.7 tundra engine in my tundra 2003 and i had to pull the transmission transfer,case, front differential and axle shafts to do the swap. so i have all the parts you would need to do the conversion if any body is interested. the drivetrain was working perfectly when i pulled it. i just wanted a 5.7 in my 2003 tundra.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Do you have any pictures of 5.7 in your 2003 Tundra? when do you think this swap will be complete?

Thanks
gene

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
i have it in the engine bay but not on the engine mounts yet. i am hoping to get it done in 2 months but we will see!
Awesome, I want to see if its even possible to do that :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
yea i was not sure if it would fit until i lowered the 5.7 in, its snug really snug but it should work.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
I am in the proccess of converting my 2wd into a 4wd
I figure I am going to spend about 1K-1.5K and do all the work myself. You cant buy a 4wd for that.
It is ALL bolt on, except you have to build a wire harness for the front diff and the transfer-case (unless you go to a mnual t-case, they go to an empty copnnector behind the glove box and that is fairley easy. The wiring inside the truck is all PLUG AND PLAY once you get the 4x4 ecu and the faceplate around the radio that houses the 4wd buttons.

4wd conversion
See this post for pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone successfully completed their 4wd conversion or made any progress? I'm curious to see how the projects turn out and if this is a viable option for me sometime in the future...or if it's possible on an 07 or newer. Thanks!

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
So far this is completed on my project

1: Front diff is re-gear'd to 4.88's /axles/Hubs = installed (been driving for weeks like this)
2: 4wd switches/4wd ecu/front diff ADD actuator wiring = installed
3: Transfercase wire harness built and awaiting installation

4: Transmission = still saving money ( I have about 1/2 of it right now)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts