Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello freinds, I was referred here from another post. I would like some tips on how to get my 4x2 2005 Dcab more mud ready. I gained some knowledge from the other thread, but I do want to see what you guys have to offer. Like I told the other guys replacing my truck with a 4WD is not an option. I really don't do what some of you guys do such as getting deep in mud. I do have experience from the Army on how to handle a stuck vehicle and do expect to get stuck. However, I have never had a vehicle act the way my tundra does on any abnormal surface. To boil it down I just would like to have my truck go down muddy roads, not deep or anything, just slick from rain. Like I said on the other post I almost get stuck in my yard if I am not careful. I do not want to change the truck except to mabe level it as another poster suggested. I guess I would like recommendations on a mud tire that will fit my stock rim. thanks jss

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI, I check on some kits to level my truck and was told by Toytech that leveling the truck has nothing to do with increased traction. Anybody concur?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello freinds, I was referred here from another post. I would like some tips on how to get my 4x2 2005 Dcab more mud ready. I gained some knowledge from the other thread, but I do want to see what you guys have to offer. Like I told the other guys replacing my truck with a 4WD is not an option. I really don't do what some of you guys do such as getting deep in mud. I do have experience from the Army on how to handle a stuck vehicle and do expect to get stuck. However, I have never had a vehicle act the way my tundra does on any abnormal surface. To boil it down I just would like to have my truck go down muddy roads, not deep or anything, just slick from rain. Like I said on the other post I almost get stuck in my yard if I am not careful. I do not want to change the truck except to mabe level it as another poster suggested. I guess I would like recommendations on a mud tire that will fit my stock rim. thanks jss
I would install a detroit locker

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
You have several options, depends on what you are willing to spend. There's the ARB Air locker. You can select to be locked or open with the flip of a swtich and is actuated via airlines. You'll need a compressor to engage the locker. Other options, Detroit locker, Detroit Truetrac (less aggressive than the locker and is gear driven), Eaton (TRD or Kazuma) LSD (street friendly and uses clutch packs); lunch box lockers such as Detroit EZ Locker, Powertrax No-slip or Lock right locker, Aussie locker...

All traction systems listed are from highest cost to lowest. If you drive on snow/icy roads quite often, I would not recommend the a locker. Best would be the Truetrac, Eaton LSD or Powertrax No slip. THe powertrax is the cheapest. The truetrac or LSD will range about $400.

Install will range from $200-$400. You'll probably need an install kit, that ranges from about $100 - $200. This would be a good time to change your gear ratio as well.

FYI, I check on some kits to level my truck and was told by Toytech that leveling the truck has nothing to do with increased traction. Anybody concur?
That's correct.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Locker will not do much. All of the weight is in the front there is no way to change that. Best bet is to sell your truck and get a 4x4 that is the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As above, adding a little weight will help as will an LSD or a locker. As for tires, about as many opinions available as tundra owners. I like my Toyo Open Country AT. Not even close to an extreme off road tire but well beyond the average all-season in mud and snow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
a lift is going to do nothing as far as traction is concerned i think for your application a Detroit Truetrac would be best. It is a gear driven LSD they seam to work better than a clutch type lsd like the one offered by the factory and several other companies. A bonus is that here are no clutch to were out. the best option though would be a ARB air locker with this you will be able to go place some 4x4 cant go. With the added bonus of a flip of a switch and you are back to a open diff that drives like a stock truck with some of the other cheeper lunch box lockers you will have to relearn how to drive and they will be a little less street friendly but some people swear by them. If i was in your situation i would go with the detroit truetrac its a great little unit and is cheaper than a ARB system below i got my locker from Performance Off Road Center but i will say this use them at your own risk as some people have had bad experiences with them mine went well and i got good customer service and got every thing fairly fast. after getting some sort of traction aid i would recommend getting a good set of all terrain or mud terrain tires you choice love my pro comps and before that i had toyos Mude terrain on there great tire but you could talk about tire till your blue in the face. remember no matter what a lift just make a vehicle taller and thats it.

cost so far for ARB system
ARB high flow compressor (50) this will cost more got a good deal
locker (500) ARB locker runs more usaly around 700-800
gears F/R (600)
gear install kits front (289)
gear install kit rear (310)
Seals front/rear (150/65)
labor front/rear(250/350)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts