Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone knows.

Noticed my old 2000 2WD V6 Tundra sat about 1" lower than my 2003 V8 Tundra.

Going by the rear bed heights. Both where 1/2 ton trucks

What was the difference. Weaker springs? Or different leaf spring shackle?
Only thing I could think of is the 2wd would have had to have stronger springs. So it did not go down as much with a 1/2 ton load.
But if anything the 2wd seemed to ride better with no load.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
4WD's usually sit higher for better ground clearance. Guessing probably a selling feature for those that may want to go off road but not sure where they get the extra ride height. Technically the 2WD would probably have a better payload capacity. Both might be 1/2 ton trucks but the more stuff they put on a truck the less overall load it can carry. Like if a 2WD regular cab is say 200lbs lighter than a 4WD extended cab then it should be able to carry an extra 200lbs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thinking was the 2wd should have less payload. Since the clearance between the frame and the axle would be less.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Payload and clearance are not one and the same. If you still have your owners manual have a look at the payload section and you will see the amount of weight a truck can carry goes down as the options go up. So something like a 2WD reg cab can carry more weight than a 4WD double cab because the double cab weighs more.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have a 2000 V6 5speed TRD 4x4 and I know that the 4x4 TRD's have a different front spring vs. non TRD 4x4's but I have not seen anything about the rear springs so my guess is they would be the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts