Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been hit before, but every thread I have read becomes a debate about LSD, 4X4s and off-roading.

I don't want to sell my paid-off 2WD. What I don't know is how much advantage would an ARB locker be.

I'm moving, possible to Northern Frontier states in about 1.5 years.

Would ARB be good in the snow with 2WD? Or would it be like a hog on ice?

I'd really like to only spend $1K on a locker rather than take a bath on a trade-in for a 4x4, plus I really like the 20 MPG I get in the 2WD V6

Any advice would be great. Thanks, GATR

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
ARB is good for off-road driving when you need the extra traction. I wouldn't drive with it on the street. Sounds like you need a good limited slip. I have limited slip and the truck is instantly sideways in the snow as soon as I touch the gas pedal. NOTHING beats 4WD in snow.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
What he said open diffs are your friend in the snow and ice. no need for a locker limited slip etc. Now the arb would be good because it would help if yo got diabled in a rut.
I hit a slick spot at 70 and the LSD screwed me right off the road into a snowbank. not a great feeling.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What he said open diffs are your friend in the snow and ice. no need for a locker limited slip etc. Now the arb would be good because it would help if yo got diabled in a rut.
I hit a slick spot at 70 and the LSD screwed me right off the road into a snowbank. not a great feeling.
That was what I was thinking, because the ARB are open diff until you hit the compressor right? So is it the best of both worlds?

I found out this week that I have LSD. The sticker had been removed so I didn't know I had it until they went to add oil.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Life Member
95 Posts
During the winter months, I keep about 300 pounds in the bed over or behind the rear axle. This gives me plenty of traction without engaging 4WD on firm surfaces. I only engage the 4WD when driving through deep snow off the paved roadway or when actively plowing.

If you plan to keep your tires on the road, ballast in the back may be all you need except during bigger storms. You cannot replace the peace of mind that 4WD will give you, but that would come at a price...

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
That was what I was thinking, because the ARB are open diff until you hit the compressor right?
That is correct
So is it the best of both worlds?
Yes

Plus if you did break a diff in the back country the extra traction would be a great addition.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the input. I found out that I have LSD and it snowed this week and didn't have much trouble at all. I think I will get one of those bladders that you fill with water and put in the back of the truck. Maybe one day I can afford the ARB.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 02 V8 Access 2WD LSD works great. I park at my Legion backing up the icy hill. Slip for one second, clunk and idle up the hill. Never noticed a problem on patchy highways in past 5 yrs. Weight is the best thing you can do. A couple 350 lb girlfriends, I say I grew up in heavy snow, 52 Chevy 2WD with a big bucket of sand and we'd be playing in a field with a foot or more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts