Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a first gen 3.4 charger was wondering if this would work with my 2002 ac 3.4 2wd tundra. Also whats the going rates for these. Whats the difference between the first gen and 2nd. what other parts are needed for this system. I just hit 100K always maintained mobil 1 oil is it ok to put the supercharger on this many miles? Whats the peak hp gain and how many psi do they run? And are parts still availible for these?

Heres the link for the supercharger ( I saw it first don't out bid me please )

TRD Toyota Super charger for 3.4 liter V6 used : eBay Motors (item 320500592512 end time Mar-18-10 17:06:13 PDT)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Putting boost to a 100,000 mile V-6 doesn't sound like a good idea. Unless it's going to be a track truck. Then have at it, but if your looking to keep your truck for a while I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That one looks pretty rusty, I'd figure in at LEAST $350 for a rebuild, $750 if the rotors are bad. The black 2nd generation have a dynamic belt tensioner (which is better). The main guts of it are the same as the 2nd gen but the case is a different design (one piece) and it sits a little higher in the engine bay.

The boost can be varied by changing the pulley size, stock it should be around 6-7 psi IIRC. You can go to a 2.2" pulley for 8-9 psi, or a 2.1" for 10+psi, I've seen one guy with a dyno run using a 2.0" pulley break 300 RWHP. Anything smaller than 2.2" should run a water/meth injection system to cool the intake temps.

With any boost more than about 5psi I'd highly recommend increasing the fueling capacity to match the added air flow and adding in some way to retard the timing to stop pinging. Some great kits are available for that here: Underdog Racing Development

100,000 "well cared for" miles wouldn't stop me from adding boost on a 5VZFE, that's just getting broken in. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts