Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were just informed that the frame on our 2004 Tundra double cab needs to be replaced. They also informed us that it could take as long as 3 months to get all of the parts needed.
According to the recall, a "loaner" car will be provided for up to 3 days during the repair.
Okaaaaay.... Now what? I cannot be without my vehicle for 3 months, 2 months, 1 month or 1 week! I need to work, and I need my vehicle.
I expressed this to my dealer (who I bought this truck from brand new back in 2004), and they offered a "rental" car at 10.00 a day for these 3 months. That would be 900.00 plus tax on TOP of the THOUSANDS of dollars we have had to put in this truck because of failed parts because of rust.
I've read multiple times that Tacoma owners were given "loaner" cars for however long it took to replace the frame. And just recently I was told by a 2004 Tundra owner that he was provided a "loaner" car (not a rental car) for the 3 months it will take to replace his frame.
I refuse to drive a truck who's structural integrity of the frame is severely compromised, enough to warrant a total frame replacement at a cost of over 10,000 to Toyota. I am not putting my family or grandchildren at an unnecessary risk by driving a vehicle that offers zero protection in the case of a crash. Yet my dealer is trying to tell me that the truck is "safe to drive".
I just don't know how I can be told that my entire frame (along with other major components) is completely rusted with holes in it and needs to be replaced, and then be told it is safe to drive. They are insane for even suggesting this, as this could potentially turn into a HUGE lawsuit if I was to be involved in a crash where the frame and rusty bumper failed to protect me like a healthy frame and bumper would.
What did your dealer do for you as far as a loaner car? I'm sorry, I refuse to drive my truck in its current condition and I refuse to have to pay over 1,000 for a rental. This rust is not my problem or my fault.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
You signed up to write this?

I would pay thousands for a new frame for my 2003 as in all other respects it's a great vehicle. I can't get a new frame because I took care of the one I have and though it's rusted it's not rusted enough.

In the face of an enormous gift from Toyota all you have is complaints. I just don't understand that mentality.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If there is an inherent defect caused by an engineering flaw, Toyota through it's dealer network SHOULD cover the loaner and have an assigned loaner for this recall campaign in my opinion. I'd also have them put it in writing that the vehicle is safe to drive without frame recall being performed.

I disagree that this is an "enormous gift", a favor, or anthing else one might call it. Toyota WOULD NOT be replacing frames if they weren't liable for this defect plain and simple. It's simple C.y.a. at play here.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
OP, either go to another dealer to have the work done or raise your issue with Toyota corporate about getting a loaner. Your not obligated to get the work done where the vehicle was inspected unless you were foolish enough to sign any paperwork that they would begin the replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You signed up to write this? In the face of an enormous gift from Toyota all you have is complaints. I just don't understand the mentality of people like you.
Yes I did. You would be frustrated too if you did your research to reveal the HUGE imbalance of fairness going on here. Some get free "loaners" while others are charged for "rentals".
Tacoma owners with identical rust problems were offered a 150% Kelly Blue Book value buy back, while the Tundra owners are not. Please tell me how is that fair? Exact same problem with two totally different remedy's. How is that okay?

Also, this is no "gift" as you put it. They were told by the NHTSA that this had to be done because of the amount of complaints they had received. They did not do this out of the goodness of their heart. I paid a lot of money for my truck because safety and reliability were to important factors when I purchased my truck. In its current state, my truck is the farthest thing from "safe". Toyota is making my truck safe once again by replacing the badly rusted frame. Please tell me, how is THAT a "gift???".

When I questioned the safety of my truck, my dealership said that I would have to pay them 106.00 in order for them to perform a safety inspection and that I would be reimbursed if they ended up doing the work. Well, they've already determined that my frame needs to be replaced, so they ARE doing the work.

Here is the exact writing from the limited service campaign from Toyota:
Please contact an authorized Toyota Dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected the CRC application completed before 7/31/2015. The dealership will inspect the condition of the vehicle’s frame. Based upon the results of the inspection, the dealership will do one of the following:
(1) If significant rust perforation is not found, the dealer will apply Corrosion-Resistant Compounds (CRC) to key areas of the vehicle’s frame at no charge to the owner or
(2) If significant rust perforation is found, the dealer will replace the vehicle’s frame at no charge to the owner.

I'm pretty sure that me paying 900.00 plus tax for a rental car would be a significant "charge to the owner", don't you?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yes I did. You would be frustrated too if you did your research to reveal the HUGE imbalance of fairness going on here. Some get free "loaners" while others are charged for "rentals".
You've owned your truck since 2004 and in all that time - ten plus years - you've had NOTHING to contribute to the community here at tundrasolutions.com.

But now YOU have a PROBLEM and all of a sudden you want a sympathetic ear and free advice. Waaah! Poor you.

Well, you do have other options. You could sell your truck or trade it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You've owned your truck since 2004 and in all that time - ten plus years - you've had NOTHING to contribute to the community here at tundrasolutions.com.

But now YOU have a PROBLEM and all of a sudden you want a sympathetic ear and free advice. Waaah! Poor you.

Well, you do have other options. You could sell your truck or trade it in.
Pardon me for thinking this, but I was under the impression that forums such as this, that are very specifically geared towards owners of Toyota Tundra's, were created so that Tundra owners can share information regarding their Toyota Tundra... This would include information regarding the good, the bad, the ugly, and everything in between.
It would be completely wrong to tell Toyota Tundra owners that they are free to talk about their vehicles here on this forum, but you can ONLY talk about positive things or you risk being banned or black listed if you should bring up something that would put Toyota trucks in a negative spotlight.

I had nothing to contribute because I loved my truck. My relationship with our dealer was great. I loved the service department. I trusted their work. I trusted their word. But now that the cat is out of the bag regarding this rust issue, there is a totally different feeling in the air. I no longer feel they are on my side and could not care less how this rust problem affects me or my ability to drive to work.

I am NOT looking for sympathy, and not really looking for advice. I am looking for facts from others who have traveled this path before. I want to hear what their experience was. I want to know if they felt like they were treated fairly. I want to know if they are happy with the outcome.

As far as me selling my truck.... you are kidding, right?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Couple thoughts:
Push back on the dealer only offering a rental vs. loaner. If they want the business of your frame replacement, make them earn it by pushing back on Toyota corporate. My local dealer (who I didn't have a relationship with) gave me a rental (car, but asked if I needed a truck, which I didnt') when coating my frame as part of the recall.

How bad, really, is the frame? About to break in half? Just a hole or 2 through a rail? Rotted spare tire carrier? Just because Toyota will replace it doesn't necessarily mean the truck is unsafe to drive in its current state. The truck has made it 10 years; another 3 months is entirely possible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pardon me for thinking this, but I was under the impression that forums such as this, that are very specifically geared towards owners of Toyota Tundra's, were created so that Tundra owners can share information regarding their Toyota Tundra... This would include information regarding the good, the bad, the ugly, and everything in between.
It would be completely wrong to tell Toyota Tundra owners that they are free to talk about their vehicles here on this forum, but you can ONLY talk about positive things or you risk being banned or black listed if you should bring up something that would put Toyota trucks in a negative spotlight.

I had nothing to contribute because I loved my truck. My relationship with our dealer was great. I loved the service department. I trusted their work. I trusted their word. But now that the cat is out of the bag regarding this rust issue, there is a totally different feeling in the air. I no longer feel they are on my side and could not care less how this rust problem affects me or my ability to drive to work.

I am NOT looking for sympathy, and not really looking for advice. I am looking for facts from others who have traveled this path before. I want to hear what their experience was. I want to know if they felt like they were treated fairly. I want to know if they are happy with the outcome.

As far as me selling my truck.... you are kidding, right?
Don't listen to mibro OutdoorAddix. I think this forum is to share your tundra off, get help on problems you have, and share solutions you might have come across. I would go over these problems with the dealer and maybe show him how some of these Tacoma owners who got 90 day rentals free of charge.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Pardon me for thinking this, but I was under the impression that forums such as this, that are very specifically geared towards owners of Toyota Tundra's, were created so that Tundra owners can share information regarding their Toyota Tundra...
In other words, now that you want something, here you are.

Love and trust. Feelings in the air. I assume you're a man but I gotta tell ya your thought process comes across as very female.

You've owned this truck for 10 plus years and I'd guess all it needed is routine maintenance, right? But now for the very first time your dealer is not telling you you can have EVERYTHING. YOU. WANT. you're in a panic.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Tacoma owners with identical rust problems were offered a 150% Kelly Blue Book value buy back, while the Tundra owners are not. Please tell me how is that fair? Exact same problem with two totally different remedy's. How is that okay?
I just have to respond to that one. lol. How old are you? And you expect life to be "fair."

If you weren't so focused on your own problem you might have understood what I wrote above. You're getting a new frame. I'm not. But I'm not here whining about it.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I'm sorry, I refuse to drive my truck in its current condition
Sure is funny you didn't have a problem driving it to the dealer and God knows how many miles before they told you they'd replace the frame. I recommend you get a bus pass because the driving public doesn't need paranoid people on the road with them. ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
The irony of all of these responses is pretty incredible. I mean, what crazy person would go and look for help or suggestions via Google, stumble across a site called TundraSOLUTIONS, and think "hey, maybe there are others here that can share their experiences with me on this issue!"

The only whining im seeing is not from the newbie at all. I think it's perfectly reasonable to sign up, engage with others, and figure things out...regardless of how many years into ownership you are. Some people don't obsess over their Tundra like some others of us do, and that is perfectly ok!

I am a member on another forum for my other vehicle and I DON'T spend my free time there so much as our cars are new and you can only read so many threads about "what tire to buy?" or "my seats suck!" But when I do pop in there, everyone is as cool as the last time, why wouldn't they be? Nobody owes the other any help but most are there to give or get help...if you've reached the point that you refuse to give help, you don't really need help of your own, etc. Maybe you need to find something else to do with yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're getting a new frame. I'm not. But I'm not here whining about it.
And you know what? I am very sorry that you are not getting a frame, and I don't blame you one bit for being frustrated over the situation. But please... don't take it out on me. I am on your side, fighting the same battle!!!
But guess what? It’s folks like me, those that choose to fight for fairness that help folks like you get what you are entitled to. I would be the happiest person in the world if my voice helped to get people like you back behind the wheel of a safe vehicle. I know that my frame is being replaced, and for that I am grateful.
But my real victory will come when all of us Tundra owners can be assured that everything Toyota is doing is honest, ethical, transparent, and fair. Only then will I celebrate.

The irony of all of these responses is pretty incredible. I mean, what crazy person would go and look for help or suggestions via Google, stumble across a site called TundraSOLUTIONS, and think "hey, maybe there are others here that can share their experiences with me on this issue!"
This is so true! Never in a million years did I expect that there would be people that would respond in such a negative manner. I’m here looking for “solutions”. I’m not here to battle!

Sure is funny you didn't have a problem driving it to the dealer and God knows how many miles before they told you they'd replace the frame. I recommend you get a bus pass because the driving public doesn't need paranoid people on the road with them. ;)
I took my vehicle there initially to have other work done. While it was there, they did the frame inspection because of the recall. But now that I have been informed that my frame needs to be replaced, I’m sorry, but no, I do not feel safe driving me, my spouse, my children or grandchildren in this vehicle. Now that the structural integrity of the frame has been compromised to the point that it needs to be replaced, I have lost my protection. Only a fool would feel safe under these conditions.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Drama aside, in 2011 I had my frame done......took a few weeks and was a great experience. Dealer gave me a Corolla for the entire time.

I would contact Toyota and possibly another dealer and stay calm and I think someone will get things straightened out .

I agree it would suck to pay $900 out of your pocket on this one....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You signed up to write this?

I would pay thousands for a new frame for my 2003 as in all other respects it's a great vehicle. I can't get a new frame because I took care of the one I have and though it's rusted it's not rusted enough.
Every time I took my car to the dealer for routine or repair work, I always brought up the fact that I felt like my car was excessively rusty, to the point that I have paid many thousands of dollars having to replace my rusted out leaking differential, rusty axles, brake lines, power steering lines, multiple sets of tires because of premature tread wear because my truck could not be aligned properly because of the rusted/seized camber bolts, my rear bumper that can't support my weight, or the skid plate that fell off onto the road because the bolts holding it in rusted. Oh yeah, I've had issues for many many years.
I knew that rust was an issue on this truck long before Toyota considered it to be an issue.
On a side note, you did not see me here "ranting" about all of those issues, did you? No, you didn't.
My point is this... They've been checking the rust on my frame for many years, and until last week, I was always told it was not a problem. So don't give up is what I'm trying to say.
You really need to educate yourself on this issue.
Do you know what steps are involved when they inspect your frame as per the instructions on the service bulletin?
Do you know the criteria that is used to determine whether your frame should have to be replaced or not?
Do you know the criteria that is used to determine if your vehicles frame is a safety hazard?
Do you know the criteria that is used to determine if you are entitled to a free "loaner" vehicle for the 3 month wait time until a new frame can be put on?
As a Tundra owner, we all are entitled to this information.
We're not talking about an air conditioning compressor recall or a power window motor recall. We are talking about a potentially very serious safety issue, and we all need to be educated consumers.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
I refuse to drive a truck who's structural integrity of the frame is severely compromised, enough to warrant a total frame replacement at a cost of over 10,000 to Toyota.

[...]

Now that the structural integrity of the frame has been compromised to the point that it needs to be replaced, I have lost my protection. Only a fool would feel safe under these conditions.
If I understand correctly, the trigger for replacement is a hole, corroded somewhere through the frame, that is bigger than one centimeter (which is just a hair bigger than 3/8 inch). Evidently your frame has at least one such hole. That does not mean that your frame is ready to fall apart, or even that it is unsafe to drive, and you should not jump to any such conclusions.

The dealer told you the truck is "safe to drive". Have him show you why he believes that. He just might be right, and you won't know either way without checking further.

I suggest you take it back to the same dealer, have him (or his designated "expert") put it up on a lift and show you its condition, and try to determine its safety. Push on it, pull on it, pry on it, beat on it, and see if it appears to be solid with a hole or two in it (one end of the spectrum), or a mass of rust about to flake apart (the other end of the spectrum), or somewhere in between.

You came here for, what, advice, perhaps? Mine is simple. Get the facts and see what they show you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If I understand correctly, the trigger for replacement is a hole, corroded somewhere through the frame, that is bigger than one centimeter (which is just a hair bigger than 3/8 inch). Evidently your frame has at least one such hole. That does not mean that your frame is ready to fall apart, or even that it is unsafe to drive, and you should not jump to any such conclusions.

The dealer told you the truck is "safe to drive". Have him show you why he believes that. He just might be right, and you won't know either way without checking further.

I suggest you take it back to the same dealer, have him (or his designated "expert") put it up on a lift and show you its condition, and try to determine its safety. Push on it, pull on it, pry on it, beat on it, and see if it appears to be solid with a hole or two in it (one end of the spectrum), or a mass of rust about to flake apart (the other end of the spectrum), or somewhere in between.

You came here for, what, advice, perhaps? Mine is simple. Get the facts and see what they show you.
I have asked them repeatedly to show me the report/findings of their "visual" inspection. (size and location of perforation(s) Still, they have not provided this to me.
I have asked repeatedly for the criteria that is used to determine if a vehicle is safe to drive. Still no answer.
Something like this is certainly not left to ones "opinion". There have to be very specific guidelines because of all that is at stake here.
If they are telling me that my truck is "safe" to drive, I want to know exactly how this was determined.
What EXACTLY makes one truck with a rusted and perforated frame safe, yet another rusted perforated frame is declared as unsafe?
This is my truck after all, and we are talking about my family's safety. Safety should ALWAYS be top priority. period.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts