Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost 3 months ago my wife purchased a 2005 Sequoia Limited 2WD with 12350 miles. Mostly I like the SUV, but my wife on the other hand just thinks it's O.K. She gave up her '02 BMW 530i because since she's pregnant with a bad back, a SUV would/should be easier while loading and unloading the baby and his stuff. She says the BMW was a "head-turner", but the Sequoia gets no second looks...women!!

As for me I like the build quality, fit & finish, and roominess. But, I have to admit the POOR gas mileage takes me back a little. We use to own a Land Cruiser that got 1 mpg less. The gas mileage on the overhead displays reports just barely 12 mpg. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised my Tundra averages about 16mpg and the Sequoia is heavier.

The brakes on this thing are HORRIBLE! Right after we purchased it I took it to the dealer because the brakes seemed weak. It turned out to be the VSC computer, which was replaced under warranty, but I tell you still sometimes it seems like the truck is never going to stop!

One more gripe...the idle is waaaay too high on cold startup. You better have your foot firmly on the brakes or else you'll slam into something! One time while idling high I decided to see how fast it would go without pressing the accelerator. It reached 15 mph!! That's ridiculous!

If it weren't for those three gripes the truck would be perfect. Oh well I guess I'll just live with those gripes, but I have to admit the brake issue is enough for me to consider finding something else. I've not made up my mind yet...but my wife on the other hand, if she could afford the new BMW X-5 the Sequoia would have never been in our garage from the start.

·
Registered
20 Posts
JQ, I've had my 05 Sequioa Ltd since new & now have 30K miles on it. I've never experienced the brake issue you've described, even when towing my 3,000 lb boat. My mileage has been 15.3 around town & around 17 on the highway. You may have to alter your driving style with this SUV. Take it easy on the gas pedal, otherwise, the mileage will suffer significantly. I have experience the high idle on cold winter mornings but it subsides fairly quickly. Also the idle increase with the air conditioning on. Regardless both have never been a concern. Try driving another Sequioa on the dealer's lot to see if it's different. If so, yours is still under warranty. Good Luck, Greg

·
Registered
82 Posts
My Seq is an '04. I wouldn't say that it has bad brakes, however if your used to driving a lighter vehicle, you'll notice, like I did, that it takes significantly longer to stop.

I only drive mine on the weekends (it's a mommy mobile). After driving the Accord & the Benz during the week, I often feel as if the Seq isn't going to stop in time.

I think it's really due to the weight difference in this beast.

Regarding your gas mileage, reset that meter in your overhead & let it go for a while. We found that it's averaging 15.4 - 15.6. I still think that's a bit high. We probably average, based on fill-ups & # of miles driven, that we're averaging around 14. Again, it's a mommy mobile, so it's a lot of around town driving w/ stop & go.

The one thing I can promise you is that this truck will quickly grow on your wife, as she feels more confident in it. She's going from one of the purest performance cars on the road, to something that's meant for an entirely different purpose.

Just a few things to consider.

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have the complaint about the brakes not feeling adequate but it is something you have to get used to. I've driven numerous SUV's in the past and the Sequoia is the worst one that I have experienced (at least mine). I teach advanced driver training and am also a collision reconstructionist. I tested my ‘05 Sequoia with a VC2000 Brake Test Computer and found that it was able to generate about 85 - 90% of the desired co-efficient of friction results on dry pavement. The brakes work…but it will take you a little longer to stop. This is something that is common and a little more characteristic of a larger and heavier vehicle.

The high idle has also been a pet peeve of mine when the engine is cold. I have to remind myself (and wife) to continuously be aware of this hazard.

From talking to other Sequoia owners in my area, they all have the same criticism about the idle issues.

I should state that I have more positive comments than negative ones about this SUV.

Steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have an 06 Sequoia limited which has abot 24,000 miles on it and I too dont like the way it brakes. It has taken some time for us to get use to it, but we're ok with it now. The high idle at startup happens to us as well , but we're use to it no biggie. When we were first looking to buy an suv we looked and test drove a Cadillac Escalade and that thing drove like a pig it was horrible. The Sequoia on the other hand is smooth and responsive, the steering on the Sequoia is so tight man my wife and I love this Vehicle.

Cant wait to see if the 5.7 makes it in the new redesign for 08, I can see a trade up in our future.:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's going from one of the purest performance cars on the road, to something that's meant for an entirely different purpose.
Tom

Yeah, I have to agree. My wife's 530i had brakes that would about throw you through the windshield with the slightest bit of pressure. My Z4 also has awesome brakes, both cars, 530i and Z-4 will "stop on a dime and make change"! I guess we just got use to the BMW's brakes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got a 03 Sequoia Limited with 68000 miles and the factory brakes are excellent, for an SUV. Let me say that I've owned other SUV's like a Pathfinder, Montero, Cherokee, and Toyota's four piston brake calipers are by far the best. If you are spoiled on your luxury car brakes, I can understand. But if want better performance out of your Sequoia's brakes, try replacing the front stock rotors with a vented/slotted rotor like Brembo. They make exact-fit replacements for your front rotors and it will give your calf muscles a rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts