Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Don Mcgill Toyota in Katy just quoted me $470 for the 30,000 maint. on my 06 Tundra 4X4. I said "OK that includes new spark plugs etc?" and the reply was "No, those are extra." I was completely pissed about this because the spark plug change is the major part of Toyota's 30,000 mile maint. recommendations. So I don't know why that would not be included in the quote from the dealer. (For $470 I could add another AK to my collection).

Anyway my question is in regard to what really needs to be done at 30,000 miles (besides oil change and tire rotation). I'm no mechanic, but it seems too early to be changing spark plugs. I've already inspected my brake pads and I really don't think I need to worry about all the miscellaneous hoses and what not that they "inspect" during the maintenance. My driving is pretty much all freeway, no off-road.

So here's what I think I should get done, please let me know what you think:

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Rotate tires
Replace limited-slip differential oil
Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
Replace engine air filter

Should any other fluids be changed like trans. fluid?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Kinda WAY too much if ya ask me!! as far as spark plugs they are not required change at 30K!! thats why they are charging ya!! tell them NOO!! only other thing of any major expenses would be all 3 running gear fluid changes "IF" you have been towing and if you have not thats another big NO!! that leaves OIL,FILTER,Air Filter which should max out at around maybe 65.00 and rotate tires should be done but thats a DIY for me cause most dealerships use air ratchets that will torque to 1000 Ft lbs and end up warping your brake rotors!! I would not pay that much but i guess people pay more??Nothing on this list a DIY maintainer can't do in a day, unless ya run outta !!BEER!!
1. 7 Qts 5W30=$40.00 Mobil 1 & new drain washer
2. M-102 Mobil 1 Filter= $10.00
3. Air Filter = $25.00
4. tranfer case=1.1 Qt 75w90
5. front diff=1.2 Qt= 75w90
6. rear diff= LSD=3.5 Qt80w90
3 qts of 75w90?? i think at no more than 15.00 a qt mobil1
4 Qts LSD oil 40 to 50 bucks or maybe a tad more but not much?
$150 for parts at most and rest would be their labor at approx 90.00 an hour!! i bet they would not change running gear fluids for that price?? so whats included in their package?:td: :td: DIY!!:D :D tranny fluid is not a player at 30K but tire rotation and torque prop shaft is and lube should also be done on 4x4 only!! Just way too much $$$$ if you have any skills and a few tools ie torque wrench which ya should have for DIY tire rotations at every 5K anyway!! torque on prop shaft easy !!! Toyota Parts and Service here is a list of what Toyota requires not dealer required!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I figured. I wonder why Toyota includes the spark plug change etc in their 30,000 mile maint? Just for revenue?

That's alot better than $470!

I'm thinking about going all synthetic so I guess this would be the time to do it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Thanks, that's what I figured. I wonder why Toyota includes the spark plug change etc in their 30,000 mile maint? Just for revenue?

That's alot better than $470!

I'm thinking about going all synthetic so I guess this would be the time to do it.
the v6 is the one thats supposed to have plugs changed at 30K!! would save yourself at least 275 to 300 bucks if you could do the maintenance!!:tu:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry - slight thread detour...

HOGWILD - I agree with the DIY:)

Question - what about warranty work in the future? DIY - do you keep all the material receipts as proof for Toyota?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK can anybody give me a link of how to change the front and rear diff fluid and the transfer case fluid? Also would the Chilton manual for the 200-2002 Tundra be good for the my 06?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I keep all reciepts and sign off my book just like any mechanic would!! Chiltons or Haynes will probably not make these manuals for years!! someone here should have access to info? i do not but i know it's here somewhere and if i can do it anyone can!! just do not drain tranny thinking its transfer case!! and it has happened, and you do not need to worry about tranny at all till 50K if ya ask me!! i will not worry about even checking fluid till 50k because it's coverd to 60K by warranty and manual says 60 or 90k if ya tow!! i do not have access to manuals on this forum but somebody will help us here I know!! the older manuals should be correct in theory but things could be different?? but not too much probably!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
you can check out my thread under State/Regional, Southwest, Colorado for my horror story, they said the same thing, quoted a high price, then said any actual work would cost a lot more i.e. plugs, fluid changes etc. I finally got to my plugs today and the did replace them, whether they needed it or not remains to be seen but at least I'll get a bit better gas mileage from now on.....
pain in the butt if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The biggest plus is that some moron did not mess up everything he touched so you can blame yourself if something is messed up if ya DIY!! What the dealearship and what Toyota requires is DIFFERENT, they will sell you just about anything their marketing/Service Manager feel they can get by with!! Most of all those specials ya get coupons for are worth it if you have endless money supply and no mechanical ability. But YOU will not get what they seem to be advertisng because they forgot t o tell ya that fluids are not included along with other associated parts/haul off fees shop fees!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Sorry - slight thread detour...

HOGWILD - I agree with the DIY:)

Question - what about warranty work in the future? DIY - do you keep all the material receipts as proof for Toyota?
I see we got our DC's at same dealer!! they tried some funny stuff on me but all in all it was ok!! They had to go to Boulder to pick mine up and somewhere on the way to Stevinsons East the rear bumper got a golf ball size ding in the chrome. I told them i did not fly at my expense to drive a vehicle back to ABQ with damaged bumper and they finally agreed to take one off a unsold lot truck after GM ok'd it!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts