Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 30k service is due and dealers quote between 250 - 400 USD.

Regarding to Toyota´s service recommendation, it seems to be a oil and air/cabin filter change, retorquing and lubing driveshaft and not much more in normal driving conditions.

Did you change your differential fluids or is the 30k service just a dealers money maker ? How much did you pay ?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i never ever subsrcibe to those interval services like that...most of it is inspections and looking at stuff and bending you over and lubing you up yours.......

for my 30k service, i simply changed my oil as usual. didnt do anything else. never do. its pointless and have been doing it this way for years and years and never have issues. my father has done the same way for many years longer than i. for example on his bike, he has 140k on his 01 goldwing.....just changes the oil sorta at the intervals and has no issues. his buddy who has almost the same exact mileage takes his in for all those "fluid changes" etc as honda calls for and has had more issues with his bike than anyone else. im not keeping the truck to 500k miles and theres no reason to change all the other crap and have them look at it....sometime later down the road i'll change the diff fluid....but not anytime soon...in only tow a 17 foot boat so its not like it is abused..... and again, history in my famliy we never change that crap and have gotten almost 200k out of some of the cars/trucks....trans flushes are the biggest gimmick too.....ours are sealed and still people want to change the fluid...even toyota says leave it alone oh well. enjoy your trip to the dealer if u decide thats waht u want to do. ill just spend my money on something fun. :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
My personal opinion has always been that 30K mile services are a scam. Look through your manual and see what they recommend. Like you said, its only an oil change and cabin filter change. Around 60K miles you get into replacing serpentine belts, probably a good time to change brake fluid and anti freeze, etc etc... but 30K is just a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
985 Posts
retorquing and lubing the driveshaft is easy. I did it once already at 20k. The cabin filter is easy too...do it yourself...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good points from all. Mine will be going in for an oil change later this week and keep on rolling......It's never towed a day in its life...only some good hauling. We'll survive!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I paid the price of labor and oil filter - $17?? I always take my own oil in bulk 5w20. Did the air filters at home, so whatever the cost was for the 2 filters and oil at Advance Auto, add that to the $17.00. My dealership does the lube and visual inspection of the 30K checklist everytime they do the oil service, so it was gratis.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I find in this mileage range the manufacturer recommended maintenance normally gets pretty expensive but still doesn't entail much more than various fluid and filter changes. The extra expense seems to come when you see lots of sentences that begin with 'Inspect...'

I don't normally go into my dealer and say 'I want the 30 thousand miles service.' I'll say "I want an oil change and a new air filter." I use them for the first few years because I like that they will have the maintenance records there if anything goes wrong. But I pick the items off the list where they actually perform some sort of labor and replace a part or a fluid and ask for that and don't mention anything else. I can pop the hood and look at a bunch of things myself. And most of it is stuff they will notice and suggest you fix anyway when they pop the hood or take the tires off for the rotation because if they notice that something not on your list is worn out they'll want to get that money out of you too.

The gf just paid 1300 dollars for her TSX. Similar deal, I looked at the bill and counted maybe 7-800 dollars worth of actual work and a bunch of profit-padding fluff thrown in. 'Inspect this, Inspect that.' Amazing what dealerships will charge you for someone to walk underneath the vehicle on the lift and take a second to look at something. If they even really do it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't know how long the spark plugs suppose to last but i changed them at 36k ,they were somewhat wear out, and rear diff oil at 36k , if yours is limited slip.Mine was pretty black.Check your front brake pads , is good to know how much of the pads is left.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I don't know how long the spark plugs suppose to last but i changed them at 36k ,they were somewhat wear out, and rear diff oil at 36k , if yours is limited slip.Mine was pretty black.Check your front brake pads , is good to know how much of the pads is left.
pretty much anything has 100k mile spark plugs so u just wasted your time. but more power to ya.

back to these overpriced services....the benz is the worst....they wanted 400 bucks to change the oil and do all their inspect this inspect that crap....
oh and that did include new wiper blades...but thats it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well - I had the dealer do a 30 point something inspection and oil change, lube driveshaft and retorque propeller shaft and stamp the service book for 34.92 and stopped by at Advance Auto for an air filter (19.90) and cabin filter 12.00, so total for 30k service is about 70 bucks.

They also did not see any need to change differential oil or flush the transmission at 30k.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My brother and law just got raped for 800 bucks for his 60k mile service. He went in complaining about how he wasn't getting good fuel mileage and boy did the dealer have all kinds of magical fixes for him. They flushed everything on the truck.

I guarantee it won't get any better fuel mileage. I told him to keep his size 13 foot out of the pedal if he wants better fuel mileage.

Just pass on it like others have said.

I hate going to the local steal and lube and watching the scam artist come in and tell women how there injectors look dirty and may be causing bad fuel mileage. It's just a scam, and it works on the uninformed.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
In my case it was $350 to inspect this, examine that, and look at something else. They didn't change the diff fluids like I requested, but they charged the hell out of my to change the cabin air filter.

Never again. I should have known.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Did you authorize those STEALERS to inspect and ask them how much to only inspect first and to call you before any service is done?

I would have waled to the owner of dealer and service manager with customers watching!

For 350 they should have at least done your differential drain and fill and drain and fill transmission.

Made me mad just reading your post.:mad:

In my case it was $350 to inspect this, examine that, and look at something else. They didn't change the diff fluids like I requested, but they charged the hell out of my to change the cabin air filter.

Never again. I should have known.

·
5,568 Posts
Did you authorize those STEALERS to inspect and ask them how much to only inspect first and to call you before any service is done?

I would have waled to the owner of dealer and service manager with customers watching!

For 350 they should have at least done your differential drain and fill and drain and fill transmission.

Made me mad just reading your post.:mad:
Hey, I learned my lesson. Usually either I change my own oil, grease the zerks, and fill up whatever fluids are down (coolant, windshield washer fluid) look at the battery connections, serpentine belt, air cleaners, and various bolted on stuff like the muffler, or if the weather is crappy I take it to Mr. Lube where they do all that and put in 7 q of 5-20 Mobil Full Synthetic for $100. When it came time for next oil change I went to Mr. Lube and had them do that as well as change the serpentine belt for 1/2 the cost of what the Toyota folks quoted me.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
And then they wonder how come we don't bring maintaince stuff to dealers!
They are SLICK WILLIES for sure!

Hey, I learned my lesson. Usually either I change my own oil, grease the zerks, and fill up whatever fluids are down (coolant, windshield washer fluid) look at the battery connections, serpentine belt, air cleaners, and various bolted on stuff like the muffler, or if the weather is crappy I take it to Mr. Lube where they do all that and put in 7 q of 5-20 Mobil Full Synthetic for $100. When it came time for next oil change I went to Mr. Lube and had them do that as well as change the serpentine belt for 1/2 the cost of what the Toyota folks quoted me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
An alternative view. The 30K service is critical because it is the last service before the factory warranty expires at 36K. I say get any needed items done for free under warranty.

I just had a free serpentine belt and bumper wiring hitch upgrade done on mine under warranty. Cost was zero. If I had waited a few more miles I would have paid dearly for this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i don't know if i was fed a bunch of BS, but when i bought my truck i went to the maintenance counter and they showed me the price list for all the services at 30k...45...60 and so forth. it had the price listed at $150 and it was getting about $10-20 cheaper or more expensive (can't remember) with each one. my parents also own toyotas and said they pay in the $400+ range. So i'm not sure if different dealerships have different deals, but that's what they fed me......

·
5,568 Posts
They told me my serpentine was cracked and needed replacing, I thought it should have been covered but they labeled it a "wear and tear" item and said I'd have to pay for it. Rather than let them "tear" me a new one, I had the belt replaced elsewhere. Now that I think about it, I bet they would have charged both me and Toyota.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Both my dealer I purchased from and the dealer I have to service my car have been very reluctant to do any warranty work on it - as a matter of fact, I had to file a case with Toyota Corp. just to get some 90 Bucks brake discs replaced.

So bottom line, from what you save from a 380 USD 30k service you can use that to resove little issues like that serpentine belt or whatever else will hit us down the road.

My 30k service was 34 USD including a 30 point check (would I trust them they really check - NO), refilling of fluids (at least oil was at the correct level), lubing propeller shaft and drive shaft. Air Filter and cabin filter is something you can do yourself in 5 minutes for 34 USD (Both from Advance Auto).

My service advisor at Toyota wasn´t sure when is the time for differential oil change or transmission flush - so I rather listen to the people of this forum than my Toyota dealer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts