Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 05 Double Cab 4x4 V8. And my first trip to and from school i only got about 300 miles before the light came on... so only around 12mpg?! Why am I getting such bad mileage, and its stock...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I just bought an 05 Double Cab 4x4 V8. And my first trip to and from school i only got about 300 miles before the light came on... so only around 12mpg?! Why am I getting such bad mileage, and its stock...
Did you fill it up and figure out the mpg, or are you just guessing? If I fill up when my fuel light first comes on, it takes about 20 gal. That would be about 15 mpg.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I didn't know that when the light came on I had about 5 gallons left. If you're right about 15mpg then i'd be happy. Thanks

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
300 mile range is what we are gettin with our gen 2s as well. lookin by what is posted here, 5-6 gallons of "reserve" is what ya'll have too...our dam readout goes to zero miles to empty when we have 6 gallons left. kinda irritating. but oh well.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Thats when you'll see that MPG drop by -1 -2 MPG. And your foot of course. All winter i was doing 12MPG, now ~15.7 on a tank 50/50 town/highway

·
Registered
15 Posts
with 35 inch tires on my 07 DC 5.7 i filled up today and got 13mpgs about 90% city driving!

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts

Fueled up 4-22-2010:

• 420.3 miles
  • Tailgate up
  • 22.883 gallons of fuel (87 octane)
  • 18.36 MPG
Mostly city, about 120 miles of highway driving. Getting ready to put the tailgate back at an angle and run like that for awhile.

All this in a 2004 DC with a four speed automatic transmission, four wheel drive, the weakest engine in a DC (only about 242 Hp), and running the truck out. I do not baby it but I do not drive like I have no sense either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If i really push mine, i get right at 320. But mine is real random for no reason. i dont drive any different, but next tank i'll get like 280. Dont know, for a truck this reliable, i dont care. Wish the gas gauge was a little more accurate though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have the exact same truck as highway lizard i have no idea how the crap he gets that kinda mileage but i really need to know the secret for the best improvement.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
i have the exact same truck as highway lizard i have no idea how the crap he gets that kinda mileage but i really need to know the secret for the best improvement.
He has 3.91's vs. your 4.10's. I believe he switched to that a while ago and seems to be working well for him.:tu:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Likely just a fluke but on my my first fill up on my DC 4x2 I got 17.4mpg. On the second fill up I had 220 miles on right at 1/2 a tank as per the gauge doing the math and my Iphone app both came up with 20.17mpg. BUT I was burning ethanol free fuel and consciously driving to get the best MPG I could from this tank.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Last fuel up was 13.8 mpg and that was half highway and the other half around town in a snow storm, in 4x4 with over a foot of fresh wet snow. Oh, and still winter gas up here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just got back from a 300 mile round trip with a truck camper in the bed of my 03 AC and pulling 3000 lb trailer with quads on it. I made the whole trip on one tank and avaraged about 13 MPG accourding to my scangauge. Of course I only have about 20 miles left until my tank is dry but considering the weight and the wind yesterday I was pretty impressed. My tranny temp never saw more than about 145 and my water temp stayed at 190 all day long.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Hey Lgroverl,

No secrets - I have done extensive testing and modifications to get to those numbers. As another poster pointed out I replaced my gears (not entirely by choice) and am now running 3.91's as opposed to the stock 4:10's. Take a look at my signature for a list of mods I have done so far.

In addition I do my maintenance religiously:

• Oil changes
  • Oil filter change (NOT Fram)
  • Clean the air filter
  • Clean the Throttle Body
  • Clean the MAF
  • Clean the PCV
  • Good plugs (not worn and stick with Denso or NKG)
  • Lube the drive line
  • Fluids changed in the front and rear differentials as well as the transfer case and transmission according to spec
  • Proper tire inflation
There are several factors that will have significant influence over your fuel economy. Type of fuel (always try and run Top Tier gas) and equally as important is the freshness of the gas and the ethanol content. It is possible to find gas without ethanol but it takes time and very accurate records. Driving style plays a large part too. I used to drive like a granny but now I run the truck out like a truck. I do not accelerate toward red lights, I do not stomp it off the line (at least not all the time), and I anticipate traffic conditions as best as I can.

For me, the most accurate method of determining where I am at in my fuel economy testing and (hopefully!) improvements is running the highway at 75 MPH with the cruise control set. These are the numbers I rely upon the most heavily in deciding where I am at and if I am headed int he right direction with my testing and research.

I was getting around 14 MPG on the highway when I first got the truck. My best to date is 19.96 MPG at 75 with cruise control. I want to do a set of long tube headers and the electric fan conversion. Once I do that I will run for awhile to establish my new baseline and then proceed with a personal project that has been in process for the past five years.

I am happy to help anyone I can with improving their mileage but there are limitations to what can be done. For me, I want the best mileage I can get without sacrificing performance. I would recommend starting with the air box modification, bearing in mind that what goes in must come out so a set of headers and good exhaust will be on the waiting list. Be careful - modifications are shown to be the gateway drug to nonstop truck tinkering and broken marriages.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I find your mpg depends on the way you drive it. To get better milage you have to drive slow and be easy on the gas pedal.

For me, that's almost impossible, as i love to stomp on the gas pedal! Especially with my loud exhaust!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts