Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
The car manufacturers have had much longer intervals for a decade or two now. I always follow the vehicle manufacturers recommendation with no ill effects, they are conservative recommendations anyway, so you could probably go much longer with good filters and quality synthetic. As another poster said, bob is the oil guy, is a good website for info.

·
Banned
159 Posts
I always change my engine and diff. oil at 1500. I don't care what anyone says...there is crap in there that needs to get out.

Not sure why it's a big deal. It's not like your spending 500 bills.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I always change my engine and diff. oil at 1500. I don't care what anyone says...there is crap in there that needs to get out.

Um, every 1500 miles??? Can I have a start off your money tree?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think he means the first oil change at 1500 miles, not every oil change. I would agree every 1500 miles is overkill, but I see no problem with doing the first one at 1500 miles.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Yea, that's the first one at 1500 and then 4-5k after that.

Diff is important to do early (front and rear)
OK I agree with that, I was thinking of doing my first at 500, then again at 2000, then every 4 to 5K.

I have rebuilt some motors and broke in a brand new motocross race bike, and don't like what I see after the first change, from then on they are fine. This will be my first brand new car and want to do it right.

I will still take a start off that money tree:tu:

·
Registered
435 Posts

I have about 130,000 miles on my old Toyota truck and have NEVER changed the diff oil. Just the engine oil, every 3K.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I follow Toyota's recommended 7500 mile oil change schedule. Toyota doesn't require the diff or transmission fluids be changed and I have not at 120K. Toyota built it and should know when things need to be changed better than the rumor mill.

·
Registered
848 Posts
well everyone has differing opinions on this subject ... i am changing my oil on monday at 500 miles and every 3K after that ... i am a mechanic and i have seen the effects of cars that dont get the oil changed on time and i hate when you open the oil cap and it looks dark inside my engines are always clean inside and i have never had a engine failure on a car i bought brand new .. i am sure i would be fine going 5-7K but i wouldnt be happy doing it ... a oil change only cost me about 12-15 bucks with oem oil and filter so why not ...

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it not funny how the oil changing places have made this 3k oil change thing into a tradition and some will NOT look at anything else? I guess it is your money and you can do whatever you want to do. Popular Mechanics came out with a huge story about oil 12 years ago. These individuals stated way back then that the 3k changing thing was foolish. Come on guys, look at the facts and go to bobtheoilguy site. He states the same thing. All industry, the military, fleet trucks, etc. do not do the 3k. YOU are wasting oil and money. Tradition is hard to break. I guess the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus is real.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe the old adage of "you get what you pay for" applies to engine oil. I've had my BMW M3 for 4 years. I have used the recommended Castrol Full Synthetic TWS 10w60 since day 1. It's around 11 bucks a liter and the car uses 7. I also only change the oil according to BMWs M3 specs. Every 10,000 miles. And guess what. It never comes out black. I have never had a problem with any part of the cars drive train either.

By the way, you can't get this oil at the auto stores. Only at BMW and very few online BMW aftermarket parts stores. It's what BMW uses in their race cars. I bet the Tundra will like it just as well. ;)

·
Registered
848 Posts
i wouldnt use that in my truck .. toyota recomends 0w20 and 5w20 for our trucks .. you start sticking that thick oil in a tundra and your fuel mileage will go down and your motor wont have proper lubrication to the main/rod bearings but its your choice ... i will stick to my oem oil and oil filter

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
i wouldnt use that in my truck .. toyota recomends 0w20 and 5w20 for our trucks .. you start sticking that thick oil in a tundra and your fuel mileage will go down and your motor wont have proper lubrication to the main/rod bearings but its your choice ... i will stick to my oem oil and oil filter
Yeah, i agree....i think i'll go valvoline synthetic 5w20 if they make it.

Valvoline a good choice guys? I haven't heard anything on this forum about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts