Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I and my two young children (5 & 7) just took a 3000 (2741) mile road trip with my 2001 LTD Sequoia from Texas to the mountains of Colorado for a vacation and a couple of triathlons, and thought I'd report on it.

I took out the third row seats, the rear was fully loaded with all of our gear (not higher than the top of the second row seats), and had a bike rack on the rear hitch with four bikes (which I estimate weighed around 250 lbs.). Surprisingly the rear settled enough to make people think I had my high-beams on. Otherwise no problems with the handling.

According to my computer I averaged 15.4 mpg. Not bad for 75-90 mph runs through Texas, and 65-75 mph up the mountains.

In the mountains, while the sides of the roads were littered with stopped cars with their hoods open, my temperature gauge didn't move a bit... nothing, nada! Passed Suburbans and Expeditions regularly uphill. Engine is not a torque monster, so it will downshift (at least out of overdrive), but engine just motored along and didn't seem like it was straining more than other's.

I got a portable DVD player with a 7" screen and had my local stereo shop install a RF converter (or modulator) so that the audio played through the stereo. The kids put it on the rear seat and watched movies during those endless miles in the Texas panhandle, and then took it to the hotel room at night. I highly recommend it. It's even fun to listen along!

I had some Michelin Cross Terrains installed right before I left and I'm very impressed. Initially it seemed like they "thumped" potholes a little, but overall they are even better than LTX M/S's that I've had before.

I did have a front end shimmy that does not appear to be tire related. Around 65-70 the wheel will shimmy a little... alot like my BMW's in the 80's... don't know if it was because the front end was unweighted.

Othewise, the comfort and practicality of the car was incredible!

·
Registered
68 Posts
What size Cross Terrains did you have installed? I've been attempting to put on 275/70-16s but tire places won't install them. They say the size is not on the recommended size list for this vehicle, therefore they do not install them.

Thx.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't beleive the trip computer. I have found that it overestimates gas mileage by 2-3 mpg. Other postings have confirmed this. For an accurate miles per gallon value figure it "the old way" - divide the miles traveled by the gallons of fuel used. You will likely find that the trip computer is overly optimistic.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
robertnltx,

i agree! isn't the sequoia such a great SUV to travel in?! :D i take the sequoia on 1000 mile weekend trips approx every other month and it is such a great vehicle to ride in. i'm most impressed w/ the way the sequoia drives up a mountain. it doesn't lag like most other vehicles and as you had mentioned i pass every big 3 SUV on the way up. doesn't it feel good to see the look on their faces when they're in the fast lane and you pass them up?! :p

Chris

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Just logged 2500+ miles on my '01 LTD Sequoia without a problem (except ants, but let's not go there) and loved it. Very comfortable and would make the drive again easily. Glad all went well for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Me too

The family ran in the SQ from NJ to SC over Easter. Great, and most importantly, comfortable ride. I averaged about 16 MPG (as calculated by me). Instead of the portable dvd player, I went laptop computer w/ dvd. I fashioned a board to bungee between the front row armrests, and velcroed the computer to it. Worked great, and we get a 14" Ultra XGA screen to look at!

Next trip, Northern Maine for grouse in October!, then Vermont in February, then....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"b1rd0g

What size Cross Terrains did you have installed? I've been attempting to put on 275/70-16s but tire places won't install them. They say the size is not on the recommended size list for this vehicle, therefore they do not install them.

Thx. "

I used to be an insurance defense lawyer, and saw many injuries and deaths because of people changing wheels and tires and altering the handling characteristics (SUV's flipping) of the car. I now stick with what the car was designed for... i.e. 265/70/16... my children are too valuable.

·
Registered
124 Posts
my two cents

Just 3 weeks ago, the wife, my 3 year old, and I made a 2000+ mile round trip from Florida to Texas (and driving while there).

The only thing I did before we left was install a 7" drop down Panasonic DVD/MP3/CD player. (thank goodness!)

I can sum up how my Sequoia acted pretty easily.

Flawless.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
wingshooter....LOL! that was my original vid system in the sequoia. my lil bros laptop fits right on top of the armrests. you could even run the audio through the stock system. probably one of the best alternatives to getting a permanent a/v system. :)

b1rd0g....LMAO! :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Audio off the laptop

Simias,

Ya, I mulled over installing a permanent system in the SEQ, but since I didn't yet own a laptop I thought it could do double duty; for my business, and to entertain my kids. Besides, it also helps with plane rides.

What is the simplest procedure to get audio from the laptop to the SQ audio system?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
wingshooter,

my lil bro got one of those car kits that comes w/ CD walkmans and plugged it into his laptop. he got his at radio shack.

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts