Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my brand new rig, and it is awesome. I am considering putting on some Nitto TerraGrapplers, which will be about 2" wider, but almost exactly the same diameter as the stock Bridgestone 275/55 r20. I put my hand behind the front tire with the wheel at lock, and it doesn't feel like much clearance between the wheel and frame. Has anyone else put on wider tires on the factory 20's?

I may get nuts in a year or two and lift it for some 35's, but I think a little more meat on the road now would look nice, too.

Any feedback (not Nitto specific) is appreciated.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
did anyone else hear those crickets chirping???:p

bump

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just got my brand new rig, and it is awesome. I am considering putting on some Nitto TerraGrapplers, which will be about 2" wider, but almost exactly the same diameter as the stock Bridgestone 275/55 r20. I put my hand behind the front tire with the wheel at lock, and it doesn't feel like much clearance between the wheel and frame. Has anyone else put on wider tires on the factory 20's?

I may get nuts in a year or two and lift it for some 35's, but I think a little more meat on the road now would look nice, too.

Any feedback (not Nitto specific) is appreciated.
Well. Im no genius but 305/50's are gonna be tall and thinner than a stock 275/55. 305 is the height and 55 is the width.

·
Registered
99 Posts
uh, no .... 305 is the width and 50 is the aspect ratio of the width to the sidewall. There are tire diameter calculators out there, you can find it if you are lazy, but this is the formula

[((tire width * aspect ratio)/2540)*2] + rim diameter.

Which means 305/50/20 will be 32.00 inches and stock tires 275/55/20 will be 31.90 inches ... pretty close if you ask me. I think there will be clearance issues when the steering is cranked to the max.

GL

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just got my brand new rig, and it is awesome. I am considering putting on some Nitto TerraGrapplers, which will be about 2" wider, but almost exactly the same diameter as the stock Bridgestone 275/55 r20. I put my hand behind the front tire with the wheel at lock, and it doesn't feel like much clearance between the wheel and frame. Has anyone else put on wider tires on the factory 20's? .
Bump!. I'm looking for the same answer.
From the dumb question department: Can you use the stock 20" wheels for the 305's even though they are a wider tire?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:ts: It makes so much sense now that I have the answer.

This was to the post above for the "TTT" question. I didn't quote it, so this reply was confusing some people. I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
I have 305's on my truck, and they fit fine. The new tundra is supposed to be bigger, so it should be able to fit them fine.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
A tire shop may have no clue what fits yet because the Tundra is new.

So does anyone know what the largest size tire can fit the 20" without a lift?
I realize that. I'm saying take it in there and have them mount different sizes of tires to see what rubs and what doesn't...:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts