Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a "certified" used Tundra CM a couple weeks ago that had about 27,500 at the time of purchase. They said as part of being certified, they went through and changed all the fluids, new tires, etc. Is it safe to believe the stealership and not worry about the 30k service? I'll be hitting 29k miles here in the next couple of days.

TIA

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Bet they only did oil change and not trany or brake fluid.
Well they believe the transmission fluid is good to 100,000 miles so I would be weary of the ALL FLUIDS remark.

With that said at 30,000 miles the only thing to worry is the oil, rear differential drain and refill.

Transmission at 30-45,000 miles depending on who you listen to. I would not go over 45,000 miles on tranny fluid under any conditions.
If you plan on getting rid of truck before 100,000 miles, its up to you what you want to do.

I would never pay for their 30,000 mile maintainace for them to just CHECK the truck. I will pay for them to do oil, tranny, rear diff fluid replacement. Do the filters yourself and save.

I purchased a "certified" used Tundra CM a couple weeks ago that had about 27,500 at the time of purchase. They said as part of being certified, they went through and changed all the fluids, new tires, etc. Is it safe to believe the stealership and not worry about the 30k service? I'll be hitting 29k miles here in the next couple of days.

TIA

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Per the Toyota Owners Online | Official Toyota Owners Website site, compare to what they did....

Lubricate propeller shaft (4WD)
Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
Replace cabin air filter
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Replace spark plugs (1GR-FE engine only)
Rotate tires
Inspect the following:
Automatic transmission fluid
Ball joints and dust covers
Brake lines and hoses
Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
Drive shaft boots (4WD)
Engine coolant
Exhaust pipes and mountings
Front differential oil (4WD)
Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
Fuel tank cap gasket
Radiator and condenser
Rear differential oil
Steering gear box
Steering linkage and boots
Transfer case oil (4WD)

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving While Towing
Replace front differential oil (4WD)
Replace rear differential oil
Replace transfer case oil (4WD)
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body​
Driving on Dirt Roads or Dusty Roads
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As soon as I find their 165 point inspection checklist they gave me, I'll compare it to the above list. They supposedly have to the 165 point inspection in order to make it "certified."

·
Registered
151 Posts
Go by any Toyota dealer, they should have the records electronically as to what was done, when, by whom, hours charged, etc.

I had the same issue bought 2007 DC with 26,900. I got a reminder e-mail that my 30K service was due. I went by the dealer and said What?? I just bought this certified pre-owned? They looked up my vehicle (and showed me the service records) and agreed that all I needed was a 5K service when I hit 31,900 as everything else had been completed during the certification process. I also bought the additional 7 year/100K mi extended warranty so I'm covered bumper to bumper until 126,900 miles or October 2016 which ever comes first (I''m guessing the miles). If anything breaks or goes bad, it's their nickel as long as I keep up with the recommended service schedule.

I just had the 5K service done for $66.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also bought the additional 7 year/100K mi extended warranty so I'm covered bumper to bumper until 126,900 miles or October 2016 which ever comes first (I''m guessing the miles).
I also bought the same warranty as you, but they said it was only good till 100,000 miles or 2014, not 127,500. It didn't sound right, but the people I dealt with weren't exactly the brightest bulb in the box. Guess I'll be double checking on this as well.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I also bought the same warranty as you, but they said it was only good till 100,000 miles or 2014, not 127,500. It didn't sound right, but the people I dealt with weren't exactly the brightest bulb in the box. Guess I'll be double checking on this as well.
More likely that you were told correctly. The extended warranty extends it TO 7 years/100,000 miles, not BY 7 years/100,000 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a 2010 DC four months ago and traded in a 2006 Access cab that had only 32,000 on it. I went by a couple of days later and they had it listed as certified. Did not even fix the crack in the windshield. I will never do business with them as they F((#* up the financing by sending it through Toyota motor credit which cost me another 1/4 point. I always use my credit union to do these as they always have the best rates and I have never had a problem with them ever. The stealership stopped taking my calls to fix the financing problem.

That being said I am sure there are good ones out there but it just goes to show you that you can buy a number of vehicles from a stealership and they will still try and run some game on you, needless to say I will never do any business with them and will do my best to steer people away from them in the future. If your in the PNW and looking at Toyota, pm me and I will give you the low down on what these jacka938's did to me.

Be careful and take nothing for granted.

webby

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've bought the warranty before and I could have sworn it extended the warranty an additional 100k

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've bought the warranty before and I could have sworn it extended the warranty an additional 100k
Hey, don't take my word for it. Best read the small print. I've heard of warranties extending 'by', but those are usually third party 20k, 30k warranties for used cars. Had one of those too on a Chevy Blazer a couple of vehicles ago.

However., from what I understand, the Toyota extended warranty extends TO a set mileage/number of years. Could be wrong. Gotta bear in mind the finance guy will tell you the sky is included if it will make you sign. All that matters though is what is on paper!

·
Registered
330 Posts
The additional warranty, 7 or 8 years, 100,000 or 125,000 miles starts from the date in which the truck was put in service. A few days a go I purchased the 100,000 miles 7 years and that will take me for 65,000 miles more(35,000 on the clock) and sept of 2014, purchase date was in sept of 2007.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts