Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let's hear a little bit about 33s vs 35s.

My 285/65/18s measured between 30.5 and 31.5" tall (3 were consistent while the driver's left was about 30.5).

Anyway, what are you guys with the 305/65/18s measuring?

I hear the Nittos are garbage from the tire stores down here (and they deal with a LOT of offroad tires).

The KM2s are sweeeeeeeeet tread, but I'm worried a hair about treadlife, power loss, as well as being able to fit in the wheelwell. Will they? I know that one thread, but all trucks are different.

Let's pool together in this thread the tire hearsay we've been reading up....

And secondly, about the hypertech programmer... people are seeing an increase in gas mileage. This is really a placebo effect, right? You can easily calculate the tire size and offset it when you fill up, yes?

The biggest thing I'd buy the hypertech programmer for is the fact that it'd keep me in 6th gear on teh highway more... is this true or false?

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i've read good things about the Toyo MTs.

Online tires have them at $327 a tire for the 35/12/18s.

IS the general consensus that they'll fit or no?

What about miles? I hear 40-50 for those easily?

-rockstate

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my tidbit, after owning these toyos, i wont have anyother tire brand. i love these things. my dad has had toyo tires on tons of cars/trucks in the past and loved them...of course mine are the AT and not a MT...and for what its worth, toyo says mine are 33.1 and on my GPS i am right on the money, and a couple of others have stated the same, that the stock setup read a little off....ok...thats all i have to share. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Toyo's all the way. I have the m/t's and love them

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Do you believe everything you hear? Alot of guys on this forum will argue with you about Nittos being garbage.
With stock wheels and 2.5" of lift you wont fit 35x12.50x18 (35.0 x 13.2) Toyo MTs. The 33x12.50x18s technically wont work either since they are 12.7" wide and are meant for at least an 8.5" wide wheel. Plus at that width with stock offset (+60) youll have issues with rubbing the uca. Youre going to run into the same issues with the 35x12.50x18 KM2s as well (34.8 x 12.5).
The hypertech is worth the small $200ish price for it. Besides making your speedo/odo legal it will bring your shift points back to stock and your truck will shift like it was designed to.
And just for the record the 305/65/18 BFGs are 33.7 x 12.2.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Not sure what you heard about the nittos I run them on this truck and had them on the last one and they seems to be good cost effective one. Just a FYI toyo makes the nitto. :D So same technology goes into each.
As for how to program the Hypertech it doesn't increase gas miliage in my opnion just puts things were they should be so if you looking at the AVG MPG on the trip computer its back to normal going from the stock to 35's. Now if you use the old method and pull out the calculator you can of course figure out the MPG accuratly too. I also notice the shift points seem to be back to normal too since your changing the gear ratio slighly by going to a larger tire. Thus this could seem to help MPG since now your trucks not reving as high before it shifts. To program it I used inflated tire diameter from the tire manf. web site to be sure its set as close as possible. Then I used a handhelp GPS just to see how close I was.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess I should have said that I don't necessarily believe the tire guys down here (never have to be honest) but they do deal with a lot of tires. My buddy has the Terra's and said they're better than the KOs he had.

Either way, looks like mhollack has provided me wtih some good information. I do believe the 305/65/18 KOs will be in my future

-rockstate

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess I should have said that I don't necessarily believe the tire guys down here (never have to be honest) but they do deal with a lot of tires. My buddy has the Terra's and said they're better than the KOs he had.

Either way, looks like mhollack has provided me wtih some good information. I do believe the 305/65/18 KOs will be in my future

-rockstate
FWIW I think that the BFG 305/65R18's look great with just a 2.5" lift. They fit perfect on my truck. However, you put a lot of miles on your truck and it may be worth going with the nitto terra grapplers or some other tire that people get a ton of miles out of. Only reason I say this is because I remember that you didn't get a lot of miles on your current bfg's. Just my .02 cents. Either way I look forward to seeing some larger tires on that truck of yours!!

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Hankook ATM RF10 305/55r20s all the way (33" Tire)! Absolutely awesome tire! Not saying that others aren't good, but these are truly amazing... aggressive, strong, completely silent and push through everything you can throw at them... truly an amazing tire!! I highly recommend them! Now, 35" may be even better, but keep in mind the weight will go up substantially and you'll need a full 3" lift, with 2.5" you may run into some slight rubbing issues up front. With 3" lift, you should be in the clear... (though I have plenty of room with 2.5" lift up front with the 33s)...
Let us know what you decide to do!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I spent weeks looking at tire sizes, specs, & prices. 295/70R18 and 285/75R18 are about as tall and wide as you can get without rubbing issues or needing a wheel >8" wide. I've run my 285/75R18 Toyo ATs with no lift for 20k miles. No issues; great treadwear.

·
Registered
181 Posts
for everyone trying to calculate the difference between their speed-o and their actual mileage traveled... Calulators from www.4Lo.com

i found that my tires have a 3.5% larger circumference than my stock ones therefore for each fill up, i just take the miles per tank on the odometer x 1.035 and then divide by the amount of gallons that i had to put in. pretty easy fix

also found - at 70MPH on the speed-o I am actually traveling at 73MPH... thats too close for me to want to spend $200 plus my dyslexic ass try and install.

with a tire size change from 275/65R18 to 275/70R18 - would there be much of a difference in shift points?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts