Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of new 2010 Tundra DC 4x4 4.6l late Wednesday. Spent three years getting the nerve to buy one.

Woke up to an engine light this morning after a grand total of 92 miles.

"VVTi controller" is what the shop is telling me. Backordered, but a 2 day repair when it comes in.

Now I see the threads for the TSB on the VVTi gear assemblies.

This really stinks. Told salesman I didn't want to keep the truck if they had to crack the engine. Updates to follow.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm supposed to get mine back today from the repair. I'm at about 1200 miles, but had the CEL on 3 different times. Check your vin against the TSB info - see other thread. I dropped mine off on Monday.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I am sorry for your pain, I would ask for my money back, PERIOD!

Opening up an engine of a brand new truck with less then 100 miles is nuts, they should have stopped sales on them and send them back to factory.

Talk about screwing over that NEW CAR IN DRIVEWAY GOOD FEELING!

Hope you get things resolved to YOUR SATISFACTION and if you keep it tell them only with a free 7/100,000 MILE PLATINUM WARRANTY for your troubles on it!!

Took delivery of new 2010 Tundra DC 4x4 4.6l late Wednesday. Spent three years getting the nerve to buy one.

"VVTi controller" is what the shop is telling me. Backordered, but a 2 day repair when it comes in.

This really stinks. Told salesman I didn't want to keep the truck if they had to crack the engine. Updates to follow.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You have what people in marketing call "dissonance" or you know, the regret in buying the purchase.

I feel for ya in this. It is really disheartening to have so many ppl come on here with a brand new truck with such a problem. If you have to crack the block to fix this, it's not exactly a smiple fix.

Hope this wont deter ya from likin' your truck, but I don't know what the recourse is on a truck with 92 miles.

-rockstate

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sorry... the only phone call I'd be waiting for is the one telling me to come pick up my new truck.

The more I drive mine... the more I want my 2006 back.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Toyota is really getting kicked in the teeth this year. I hope they come away from this with a new attitude and start getting back to what made them great. Two years ago when I bought my truck I thought it would be the first of many to come from Toyota, today I am not so sure. sad

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have a 4.6 DC 4x4, Just got my truck back today after the VVTi Repair at 800 miles. I already had linex extra and running boards added on my truck so giving it back to them wasnt what i wanted. I did however get them to upgrade my warranty to 7 yrs 75,000 bumper to bumper. That satisfied me a little but still not happy about them taking the engine apart. Regardless, it is fixed, gas mileage is easily up 2.5 - 3.5 MPG in just the 80 miles i have done since the repair. Now back up to 17-18 instead of 14-15 with the CEL on before the repair. They also did the Pedal recall while she was in there. I have to say it is BS that the pedal has the same feel. It is much, much more sensitive. Its not a big deal it just took some getting used to, but for Toyota to say there should be no change in the feel is crap. Anyway, I am happy with my service department with all this. I wanted 10 YR 100,000 mile powertrain. They told me they dont have such a thing (Probably BS) but they could offer 7 YR 75K bumper to bumper. So ill take it and run with it. I would scan in and post my repair order if i knew how too. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I too have a 4.6 DC 4x4, Just got my truck back today after the VVTi Repair at 800 miles. I already had linex extra and running boards added on my truck so giving it back to them wasnt what i wanted. I did however get them to upgrade my warranty to 7 yrs 75,000 bumper to bumper. That satisfied me a little but still not happy about them taking the engine apart. Regardless, it is fixed, gas mileage is easily up 2.5 - 3.5 MPG in just the 80 miles i have done since the repair. Now back up to 17-18 instead of 14-15 with the CEL on before the repair. They also did the Pedal recall while she was in there. I have to say it is BS that the pedal has the same feel. It is much, much more sensitive. Its not a big deal it just took some getting used to, but for Toyota to say there should be no change in the feel is crap. Anyway, I am happy with my service department with all this. I wanted 10 YR 100,000 mile powertrain. They told me they dont have such a thing (Probably BS) but they could offer 7 YR 75K bumper to bumper. So ill take it and run with it. I would scan in and post my repair order if i knew how too. Good luck.
it really sucks this has to be your first post

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
395 Posts
sorry to hear that...I really am.

When I picked up my '10 in December, I was expecting CEL every time I got in the truck (and still do). So far 3600km with no CEL, (my VIN falls within the VVTi TSB criteria); this may be compensation/payback/karma for the engine troubles I had with my POS '08.

Here's hopin' anyway!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I´d be very unhappy about such a issue. Write a letter to coporate
headquarters and ask them to do for you whatever you want.

This is a Lexus engine and should not have any issues - I can just imagine that reporters will love the story of another Toyota screw-up.

Keep us posted what Toyota will do for you to resolve this issue.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I have the 5.7L, so I don't expect any problems. I've been pretty lucky with my Tundra so far (knock on wood). I haven't had ANY of the problems that I've read about out here.

·
Registered
860 Posts
"it is fixed, gas mileage is easily up 2.5 - 3.5 MPG in just the 80 miles i have done since the repair."

Now thats what I've been wanting to hear!!!!!!

They say mine will be ready tomorrow. Then I'll have to push for the extended Plantinum warranty and I have bone to pick with them for trying to sell me a $475 alarm when the alarm was already installed and activated - standard for a ltd!!!!! The difference would be for the GBS - a $100 part and hour of labor? for $475 me not think so.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts

That sucks man. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You could also look into the simple oil change solution first, unless you just don't want the truck now. I had the CEL at 2 or 3 hundred miles for this and again at 1200. Both times the light was reset at the dealership and oil was changed. My truck seems to be doing well now with over 7000 miles on it.....

·
Registered
860 Posts
You could also look into the simple oil change solution first, unless you just don't want the truck now. I had the CEL at 2 or 3 hundred miles for this and again at 1200. Both times the light was reset at the dealership and oil was changed. My truck seems to be doing well now with over 7000 miles on it.....
I think it's been officially concluded that "debris" that can be flushed out by an oil change is not the problem nor the solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah an Oil Change has been determined to only be a temporary fix.

So update on my VVti repair. I almost blew a head gasket today when i started her up this morning and CEL was back on. I was irate. So i call them up as soon as they open. He wants to get me a car and take a look again. I said just run the diagnostics and we will go from there. Of note: my dealership is offering full MSRP on any 2010 recalled model. I was very tempted to give this thing back and buy the identical 2009 used tundra they have out front. So if they were going to have to open the engine back up i was going to tell them to keep the damn thing. He asked if i had got gas (I hadnt). I pull up to the shop, first thing he does is check the gas cap. Its not tight at all. He calls over his mechanic, and mechanic says SOB. I left it off doing my final check up on the fuel system. They run the diagnostics right in front of me and get the emission control code for the gas cap. THANK GOD. Guy gave me coupons for 3 free oil changes for my time and inconvenience.

Truck still seems to be running much better than before. So i have to say the VVTi fix does improve the power/MPG. My service manager says he has done 4 now and none have come back with any issues although this one had him worried big time when he heard my light was right back on. To both of our suprise it was thankfully the stupid gas cap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been a loyal Toyota truck owner the last ten years. '97 T100, '00 Tundra Access cab, '03 Tundra Access cab, '05 Tundra Double cab, '07 Tundra CM. I went to the dealer last weekend to upgrade my '07 CM because i wanted a Limited with all bells and whistles and found what I thought was perfect. The truck had 12 miles before my test drive. After dealer giving me surprising good trade in value I got their truck for invoice. I was happy until the CEL came on while on my drive back home. Total of 80 miles on vehicle and I drove straight back to dealer to have them diagnose the P0012 code for VVti. While at the dealer waiting for service to finished I jumped on the web and searched and found the TSB. I told the dealer to take this vehicle back or find me another vehicle. (they didnt have one on their lot). Long story short I took my '07 back and signed the brand new 2010 back to them. Luckily they unwound the paper. Toyota has really lost my faith...I'm sure within 6 months we'll see 5-7K of rebates on all vehicles.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I am glad you got your 07 back, I got extended warranty on mine and am keeping it for sure for another 4 years. If yours is running well keep it. And resale to an individual now with all this going on will be difficult. They will low ball you with the perceived quality issues.

I've been a loyal Toyota truck owner the last ten years. '97 T100, '00 Tundra Access cab, '03 Tundra Access cab, '05 Tundra Double cab, '07 Tundra CM. I went to the dealer last weekend to upgrade my '07 CM because i wanted a Limited with all bells and whistles and found what I thought was perfect. The truck had 12 miles before my test drive. After dealer giving me surprising good trade in value I got their truck for invoice. I was happy until the CEL came on while on my drive back home. Total of 80 miles on vehicle and I drove straight back to dealer to have them diagnose the P0012 code for VVti. While at the dealer waiting for service to finished I jumped on the web and searched and found the TSB. I told the dealer to take this vehicle back or find me another vehicle. (they didnt have one on their lot). Long story short I took my '07 back and signed the brand new 2010 back to them. Luckily they unwound the paper. Toyota has really lost my faith...I'm sure within 6 months we'll see 5-7K of rebates on all vehicles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts