Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think this is abit short ?
Im told Toyota rates their HP at the flywheel as do most others.
Anyone currently owning a 5.7 Tundra ever own anything that could run a ¼ mile in under 14 sec ?
The nearest Dyno to me is 150 miles and Im thinking these 5.7's might just put near 381 to the ground ?
Wouldnt be the first time in history the EPA got fooled by a Car Company:eek:
Do I believe there is actually closer to 400+ hp on tap ?
Most definitely !With aftermarket lid and exhaust mods I think it can be found quit easily.

My 01 SS Camaro M6 stickered at 325 HP
I dynoed it at 1700 miles and put 333(corrected) to the ground.
It ran 13.00 @ 111.3 with start line temps of 138* and intake air temp of 98*+ on Eagle F-1 Street Tires,Lid and Exhaust.

See what Im getting at ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
What is Lid?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ah ok, thanks.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Hey TNK and others that have taken delivery of the 07. Everyone is not quite happy with the fake plastic intake looking thing at the top of the grill.

Has anyone of you really taken a look at it? Like from under the hood? Now, I am going out on a limb here, but take a look for bolt patterns and the way things line up inside. There has been talk of a supercharger, could this fake plastic thing be removed to install the increased volume intake conversion needed on a supercharger? Just a thought.

Man I can only imagine what a supercharger will do to this monster!!!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Wouldnt be the first time in history the EPA got fooled by a Car QUOTE]

I don't think the EPA cares a thing about horsepower and/or claims to such. They care that the vehicle meets emission criteria. On top of that the EPA is the one who devised the test that determines the mileage figures and whether or not they are realistic. Now some insurance company's may worry, as ANY reason to increase rates is (un)fair game with them. I would not doubt that if the reg cab 5.7 models get a reputation as a "hot rod", surcharges might start popping up. Even if it is rated artificialy low, it would not be enough to warrant any truth in advertising claims from busybodies who have nothing else to worry about. Toyota has always been conservative with claims.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just like the proto/concept they had at Sema !!
5.7 SC makeing 1K+ RWHP
Im thinking the public offering will be a abit milder,something like 150'ish hp useing something like 7-9 psi boost ?Aftermarket pulley ect. and 500-750 Hp Street Monsters are a real possibilty.True COLD-AIR cant come from something confined inside an engine compartment(heat shield or not)The "true" cool air is running under the front bumper on either "side" and not in the center section most would assume.A Company made this discovery dureing the early LS-1 F-Body days.
Time slips as well as well as Dyno pull sheets confirmed real world to the ground HP increases of nearly 9 hp.Best from any of the underhood set-ups was 3-5 rwhp.K&N wasnt even in the top 15 tested LOL!! Rightfully so CFM is CFM whether it flows air thru cotton or paper it all ended up being stuffed into 80-90mm TB's ;)

Anyway ..... with my experience dealing with the HP bolt-on scams of the LS-1's hopefully I can save some of you some heartbreakers with this 5.7 Tundra thats sure to be duplicated and get real thick if you catch my drift.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So if you add 18-20% for parricidal drive train loss what do you come up with ?
In simple terms it = Base HP or (at the Flywheel)correct?
Running a dual 3" without some kinda "equalizer" or crossover isnt going to show the same results of a "tuned quality setup".Late model performance doesnt have to rely on the old "exhaust scavenging" that was needed for the old iron block push-rod motors to make the face stretching lowend numbers.Im still learning this DOHC format,but some rules never change.I would be interested in seeing some diverse tests done .
Props to the shop in that other thread for their attempts at "moveing forward",but nothing I would jump at this early stage in the game.
The only REAL HP Gains will come when someone starts whittleing some new bump-sticks :eek:

:cool:

·
Registered
440 Posts
TNK - I didn't understand much of your last post. Can you elaborate for a layman like me : what do I have to do to increase hp and torque on this thing ? :ts:

On a related note anyone know of any chips, stroker kits or turbo kits comming out for this thing?

·
Banned
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was Laymans terms .....:confused:
If that was greek to you then Im thinking your a bolt-on and go kinda consumer.
Im from a class of knuckle busters that figured out cam grinds for LS-1 platforms that used stock bottom-ends and headcores that took base 325 HP LS-1's to 430+rwhp with cam and spring swaps ONLY !
You can bolt-on everything on the market to a stock platform motor and gain less then 20 RWHP
Some dont understand you eventually start canceling gains the more you add.

REAL PERFORMANCE only comes with MONEY and LOTS OF IT !

No amount of purchased performance will increase a drivers abilty,but in fact it generally compounds an exsisting issue,they couldnt drive to begin with.

To Directly answer your above question.
Camshafts govern both of what your looking for,if you find them let me know and Ill buy the ribeyes and beer !

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks, i have stage 2 crower cam and motec computer on my 20o6 FJ 71 ( also intake,biger throttle body port/polish/headers/exhasust,) and it gives a lot of power but i don't really want to mess around with the Tundra like that. I guess what I'm asking is are there and plug and play chips for the tundra or something like the hypertech power preogrammer?

When headers and cai are available would they be worth looking into for this truck or would that just be a waste of money?

thanks (i just drive 'em, have someone else fix 'em up for me)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Anyone think this is abit short ?
Im told Toyota rates their HP at the flywheel as do most others.
Anyone currently owning a 5.7 Tundra ever own anything that could run a ¼ mile in under 14 sec ?
The nearest Dyno to me is 150 miles and Im thinking these 5.7's might just put near 381 to the ground ?
Wouldnt be the first time in history the EPA got fooled by a Car Company:eek:
Do I believe there is actually closer to 400+ hp on tap ?
Most definitely !With aftermarket lid and exhaust mods I think it can be found quit easily.

My 01 SS Camaro M6 stickered at 325 HP
I dynoed it at 1700 miles and put 333(corrected) to the ground.
It ran 13.00 @ 111.3 with start line temps of 138* and intake air temp of 98*+ on Eagle F-1 Street Tires,Lid and Exhaust.

See what Im getting at ?

I'm also familiar with the LS1 platform (owned an 02 SS and a 2000 Formula- 306 RWHP and 305 RWHP bone stock, respectively). I don't think the Tundra is the same situation. The LS1 was put into Camaros and Firebirds with only a little changed (intake, exhaust) from the Corvette platform. GM didn't want a $25k Camaro rated at the same HP as a Corvette costing nearly twice as much, so they just claimed it made less when in fact they were nearly identical. The Tundra doesn't have an "upper-tier" vehicle that shares the 5.7, so they have no reason to downgrade the HP ratings. Anyway, with the new SAE Certified ratings system, I don't think they could if they wanted to.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Edmunds got 320 at the wheels, so assuming 20% driveline loss, that's 400 at the crank. And at the product training we were told that there would be a TRD supercharger for the 5.7.

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Banned
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your post is very valid,but to think Toyota doesnt have a top tier is abit short.
Try;
GM
Ford
Dodge
Plenty of "Cause" if you ask me :D
Take an 07 out for a "Top End" run and watch where the speedo stops and the tach keeps going LMAO !! For a 4 door truck the grin factor is off the hook !
Stabilty is very good @ 5k rpm,Im sorry it wont pull out in 6th.But if you top out the number 5 hole(bump the rev limiter) you are "Strolling"

Just remember to never go faster then your ready to fall off !

I'm also familiar with the LS1 platform (owned an 02 SS and a 2000 Formula- 306 RWHP and 305 RWHP bone stock, respectively). I don't think the Tundra is the same situation. The LS1 was put into Camaros and Firebirds with only a little changed (intake, exhaust) from the Corvette platform. GM didn't want a $25k Camaro rated at the same HP as a Corvette costing nearly twice as much, so they just claimed it made less when in fact they were nearly identical. The Tundra doesn't have an "upper-tier" vehicle that shares the 5.7, so they have no reason to downgrade the HP ratings. Anyway, with the new SAE Certified ratings system, I don't think they could if they wanted to.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Your post is very valid,but to think Toyota doesnt have a top tier is abit short.
Try;
GM
Ford
Dodge
Plenty of "Cause" if you ask me :D
Take an 07 out for a "Top End" run and watch where the speedo stops and the tach keeps going LMAO !! For a 4 door truck the grin factor is off the hook !
Stabilty is very good @ 5k rpm,Im sorry it wont pull out in 6th.But if you top out the number 5 hole(bump the rev limiter) you are "Strolling"

Just remember to never go faster then your ready to fall off !
What I meant by the "upper-tier" vehicle is a higher priced vehicle that uses the same engine (like the Camaro had the Corvette). So for example, say there was a Lexus truck that had the 5.7 rated at 420 HP or something, then I would say that there is a chance that the Tundra's engine could be underrated, as Toyota would probably not want a $30k Toyota truck making the same amount of HP as a $50k+ Lexus.

On a side note, I just saw in Motor Trend that the Tundra's HP and TQ numbers are not measured with the SAE Certified standards. What this could mean is that the 5.7's numbers could be exaggerated somewhat (as the 05 Tundra's 4.7 numbers were).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts