Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone own one? what do you think of it? how has the truck held up?

reason why i'm asking is because i'm looking for a commuter vehicle (100 miles a day) that i can beat up and use as my mild snow vehicle in the winter. have narrowed it down to a 3rd gen 4runner, but want to know how the 4 banger holds up. really looking at gas mileage too.

thanks in advance for any info! :)

Chris

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I have the 1st gen 4Runner w/ a 4 banger (22RE). It has 320,000+ miles on it and is still going.

My dad has a late '90s Taco w/ the 4 cyl (I'm assuming it's the same one in the 4Runner) and it is still going strong w/ over 150,000. Not the most powerful engine, but it gets the job done.

Gas mileage on the 4Runner is only about 13mpg, but that's also 'cause it's 15 years old.

·
Registered
1 Posts
03 runner engine choices

The 2003 4-Runner will have an all new 4.0L V6 with 245hp @ 5200 rpm, 283lb @ 3400 rpm. it will also be chain drive with ACIS. The V8 will be the 4.7L V8 235hp @ 4800 rpm, 320lb @ 3400 rpm max towing on either 5000lbs. The V8 will also have the Lexus 5 spd auto.

·
Registered
26 Posts
teagan, do you have the 4Runner gas mileage specs for each engine? I don't think I've seen that anywhere...

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Chris,

I didn’t know 3rd generation 4Runners came with 4 cyl. A couple of months ago, I bought a 2002 4Runner for my wife which I think is a 3rd gen 4Runner. When I was researching them on the net all I found were 6 cyl. Maybe the early 3rd gen’s offered 4 cyl?

Anyways, we love the 4runner. Gets good mileage and ride…and dual auto up/down windows for the fronts, DAMN, I wish the Tundra had this.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aguevarra....the 3rd gen 4runners ran from model years '96-'02. the 4 banger was optional up to the 2000 model year. what's the mileage on your V6?

Sumo99....yeah, it should be the same engine (3RZ-FE). so how's the gas mileage on your pops taco? is it powerful enough to move people up a mountain?

thanks in advance for the info fellas! :D

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
I get about 18-19 mpg. Good idea in getting just the 4 cyl for the daily commute and grind…then bust out your sweet Sequoia for the weekends :)

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Gas mileage on my dad's Taco is great, usually 20-22mpg, but I think thats because he drives and accelerates real slow. Yes, it's powerful enough to drive up the mountains, but it also weighs a lot less than a 4Runner (Its a single cab 4X2).

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aguevarra & Sumo99,

thanks fellas! :D based on the info that you guys have posted it looks like the 3rd gen 4banger is the right vehicle. now i just have to find one at the right price! :) thanks again! :tu:

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts