Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4.2 quarts of full synthetic GL-5 rated 75w-140 gear lube? The owners manual of my 2005 D/C says that's what my non-LSD diff will hold. Seems like a LOT for that little pumpkin.
Since Walmart is right up the shopping center from here, I walked up to see if they carried any and low and behold they were clearing theirs out for $10.57 a quart. Super Tech is not your top of the line brand but it is rated GL-5, so I stocked up.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
4.2 quarts of full synthetic GL-5 rated 75w-140 gear lube? The owners manual of my 2005 D/C says that's what my non-LSD diff will hold. Seems like a LOT for that little pumpkin.
Since Walmart is right up the shopping center from here, I walked up to see if they carried any and low and behold they were clearing theirs out for $10.57 a quart. Super Tech is not your top of the line brand but it is rated GL-5, so I stocked up.
Not sure but go ahead and get a little extra - you can always used the extra the next time you change out the fluids.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the OEM lube out this afternoon. I bought the truck new in Jan 2005 and it currently has 117,300 miles on it. After reading up on how others have changed theirs and were greeted with various grades of sludge, I was somewhat apprehensive about what would (or wouldn't) drain out of mine.
I prefer to change fluids out when they are warm so any foreign matter in there might be in suspension, so I backed the truck in the basement right after I made the 22 mile trip from work. I used a 15/16" 6pt socket because I don't have a 24mm. The 15/16 was a nice tight fit. I cleaned the area around both the drain and fill plugs before I got started and then loosened the fill plug 1st. Seeing that the fill plug would come off I opened the drain and let it run for about 10 minutes. What came out? PERFECTLY clear, amber colored diff lube. Not a hint of cloud or funk at all. I then jacked the driver side of the truck up to get that last little bit out of the bottom of the center section and then I poured about 1/2 a quart of new lube in and through just to rinse the bottom out of any residue. The new diff lube looked just like the 117,300 mile lube. Gotta love that.......... The drain and fill plugs? The fill plug has a small depression in it and I don't think that plug was magnetic. It was really nice and clean. The drain plug had a little mushroom of crap on it. 3 pieces of metal shaving about 1/8" square each and about 1/2 of a small English pea sized lump of gray paste. I cleaned both plugs well with some carb cleaner (I can and do rebuild quadrajet carburetors, for those of you that know what a carburetor is...:)) and reinstalled the drain plug. I find it easier to remove the seal from the top of the qt lube bottle BEFORE I crawl under the truck, so I did that and also cut the top off one cap so it would work with a short piece of rubber fuel hose that I used as "funnel". Cram the fuel hose in the fill hole and squeeze away on the lube bottle. I swapped the cut top onto every new bottle and put the uncut caps on the empties as I went along. After 4 quarts I loosely put the fill plug back in and jacked the whole back end of the truck up and spun the tires by hand both direction a few times to fill any nooks and crannies and then put the rear end back down and took the fill plug back out. I didn't measure to see if 2/10 of the 5th bottle went in, I just let the lube start running out and I quit filling and put the fill plug in and torqued it and the drain plug down.
A 10 mile test ride revealed no leaks and I'll check that again after the run to work tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Decent - here is what mine looked like

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't find a picture but I think I saw one you posted as I was researching my diff lube change.
I'm amazed at how clean mine was. Kinda hate I bothered it now. Oh well, new is good.........

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I don't find a picture but I think I saw one you posted as I was researching my diff lube change.
I'm amazed at how clean mine was. Kinda hate I bothered it now. Oh well, new is good.........
Just fixed the link - it should work now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts