Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at early 2000's Tundras, (low price range) that I can put a lite camper on. then I learned that the 5.7 liter came in in 2007. would the 5.7 be a better choice for hauling a small camper, like a Travel Lite 610 R?
thanks,
DgoJess

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I'm looking at early 2000's Tundras, (low price range) that I can put a lite camper on. then I learned that the 5.7 liter came in in 2007. would the 5.7 be a better choice for hauling a small camper, like a Travel Lite 610 R?
thanks,
DgoJess
For any camper, you want a 2007 or newer. The mid sized trucks are kpjust not built for real towing or campers in the bed.

You‘lol struggle to find one light enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Schly: Im mom whose family is grown and I am buying my first truck and camper - learning from ground up. Sounds like I need to look at 2nd gen Tundras. Though on one thread, it was thought they are not actually the full-size or half-tons they are marketed to be... Toyota Tundra and Slide in Truck Campers
Do I have to go with a midsized American truck? Though these have 200 lb less payload...
Any thoughts?
thanks!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Just to be clear, the thread you attached was started in 2005 so these guys are talking about a first gen Tundra.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The early 2000s Tundras are better trucks IMO and will haul a small truck camper just fine. Just don’t exceed GVWR without beefing up your springs.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I see some of the guys in here saying it’s ok to get an 06 or older and use it with a camper.

But I’ll say it again, you’ll only be able to use the lightest of campers on an 06 or older (1st gen Tundra). Ultra lite campers can get expensive and have fewer amenities because you spent all your money on weight savings.

save yourself some grief and get an 07 or newer. Payload is better, towing is better. Options for in bed campers are better.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh and the later years 04-06? Have same motor with like 30 more HP. 275 vs 245?
2004 is an awesome year if you can find one in very good condition with reasonably lower miles. Check Autotrader. Sometimes if you give it a month, one will pop up, like a beautiful Phantom Gray Pearl (predecessor to Magnetic Gray Metallic)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hate to tell you but '07 and newer trucks can't handle more than a super light camper either. If you want a real truck camper you're looking at a ¾ ton or better truck. Been there, done that. Not worth it.

He posted the camper he is looking at and it appears to be ~1,300 lbs.

1st gen Tundra should handle that but once you load it up with gear and water you'll need to beef up the suspension, at most you'll need add-a-leafs or airbags, same as you would on any 07+.

If you want to go 90 MPH with the camper on, get the 07+. Either truck will get the job done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone....I took the advice, and am looking at the next step up in payload and power.
Cheers and thanks again for helping a total truck noob:unsure:

·
Registered
41 Posts
No problem. I have owned a few campers. In addition to beefing up the rear end, or air bagging it, you'll also be investing in wiring and mounting mechanisms for the truck. Those can get pricey and rarely pop up used. Some campers (4 Wheel Campers, for example) mount to eye bolts that go into the bed, which are nice. Charging the camper is a whole other issue, I went solar on one of mien and it was GREAT. Never had to plug into shore power and I could stay out endlessly or until water became the limiting factor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts